Statistics (not biostats) Results?

weezyF

Does anybody know of anything that has come back besides the duke shortlist which was earlier? Particularly, washington, harvard, stanford, CMU, yale, berkeley, chicago, wharton, columbia, duke? In the results search it says that someone was accepted to CMU on 19 December, which doesn't make sense since the application was due 22 December...Best of luck to everyone out there, just trying to wait this thing out 

Same boat. Looking at last year, it seems that statistics results just came out much later than biostats. It seems like many decision were made mid to late February.

By the way, this gap between biostat and stat results happened because an "arms race" started in biostat a few years ago when there were a relatively small number of top-notch students applying to the field. A couple of departments moved their application deadlines earlier so that they could start contacting applicants before anyone else, everyone else had no choice but to follow suit and so here we are. I don't expect the timeline to shift much in the foreseeable future, however, as there are now a lot more elite applicants to biostat hence less of a need for departments to fight over a small number of tasty morsels.

It seems like UW stats sent out acceptances around this time last year. The anticipation is killing me!

Refreshing my inbox, checking the forums, and searching the results are becoming crippling addictions. Maybe joining the convo will bring some relief. 

By the way, this gap between biostat and stat results happened because an "arms race" started in biostat a few years ago when there were a relatively small number of top-notch students applying to the field. A couple of departments moved their application deadlines earlier so that they could start contacting applicants before anyone else, everyone else had no choice but to follow suit and so here we are. I don't expect the timeline to shift much in the foreseeable future, however, as there are now a lot more elite applicants to biostat hence less of a need for departments to fight over a small number of tasty morsels.

I guess this might happen for stats in the near future, given the increased competition among applicants in recent years.

Congratulations WeezyF (Baby?)!

I also find the lower level of activity in the forums this year interesting especially since it seems like more and more people have been getting interested in stat/biostat lately. 

Can confirm that Washington statistics acceptances have been sent out.

Apparently they had 280 applicants for 10-12 spots. That a lot of applications, any idea how it compares to previous years?

Can confirm that Washington statistics acceptances have been sent out.

Apparently they had 280 applicants for 10-12 spots. That a lot of applications, any idea how it compares to previous years?

Last year was the same -- 280 applicants for 10-12 spots.  Might be a generic thing they put in the email.

Last year was the same -- 280 applicants for 10-12 spots.  Might be a generic thing they put in the email.

Would not be at all surprised if someone forgot to update a line in the initial wave of offers that went out yesterday.

The official numbers from last year was 284 applicants, 28 offers. For confusing reasons these include part-time master's students (who were 3 of the enrolled students, unsure how many were offered or applied), but not full-time.

Would not be at all surprised if someone forgot to update a line in the initial wave of offers that went out yesterday.

The official numbers from last year was 284 applicants, 28 offers. For confusing reasons these include part-time master's students (who were 3 of the enrolled students, unsure how many were offered or applied), but not full-time.

Interesting. Any idea what the number would look like when restricted to PhD applications?

Thanks. Do you know how many offers they typically make initially?

Interesting. Any idea what the number would look like when restricted to PhD applications?

I don't think part-time master's students are a large share of that applicant pool. They are basically all already living in Seattle and employed off-campus part-time or PhD students in other departments at UW.