Let's do it again: Ph.D. in Religion/Theology - 2010

pleo

Maybe we should start off with this old good questions:

1. Where are you definitely applying / not applying?

2. What discipline(s)? (Religion, Theology, PR)

3. What did you learn from the last round?

Okay, I'll bite instead of waiting for someone else to go first!

I think I'll be applying to (in alphabetical order): CUA, Duke, Harvard, Marquette, Notre Dame, and Yale. I study Syriac Christianity, and am especially interested in the 5th-9th centuries.

(However, I'm mostly looking at programs that would give me a very broad foundation in historical theology, both because I have pretty wide, interdisciplinary interests and because I might actually want a job someday, and only being an expert on early medieval Syriac Christianity is not particularly marketable!)

I'm currently finishing up a master's program. This will be my first (and hopefully only!) round of doctoral applications, but we'll see how things go...

Hi Febronia, have you considered Georegetown? Syriac Christianity might have some overlay w/ Islam and they require work in 2 world religions, quite marketable I would imagine.

I'll be putting in at UVA and that's probably it. I might have to sit this year out but the idea of only doing one application compared to what I did last year strikes me as a why not decision. I want to write utterly dogmatic systematic theology and do other generally distasteful things. Lessons I learned from last year include:

1) What doesn't kill you only makes you more of a resentful asshole.

2) You have to be Catholic to get into ND's Systematics program.

3) Social work agencies will pay you 1,000$ more a year for an M.Div, and that's as close as you'll come to anyone outside of our world giving a shit.

3) Social work agencies will pay you 1,000$ more a year for an M.Div, and that's as close as you'll come to anyone outside of our world giving a shit.

This seems so sad. I personally feel like studying religion means everyone gives a shit.

Hi Febronia, have you considered Georegetown? Syriac Christianity might have some overlay w/ Islam and they require work in 2 world religions, quite marketable I would imagine.

I must confess that I hadn't actually realized that they had started a doctoral program, but it looks like it might be a very good fit for me. I have a previous master's degree in ecumenical and interfaith relations, and religious pluralism is an emphasis of their program. And they have cross-registration with CUA, so that I could still take seminars on awesome Syriac figures like Narsai while having a broader context for that work... Definitely a real possibility to consider...Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm applying to the following schools and programs:

1. Harvard Divinity School

M.Div

2. University of Chicago

Master of Arts in Divinity

3. Yale University

Ph.D. Program in American Religious History

4. UCSB

Ph.D. Program in Religion in America or Religion and Culture

5. Princeton Theological Seminary

Ph.D. Program in Religion and Society

6. Pacific School of Religion

M.Div

Research interests: Evangelical Religion, Culture, and Media in the United States; Men and Masculinity; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Issues; Queer Theory; New Testament; Religion and Society

This is actually my first round, so I'm kind of going into this whole grad school application thing without really knowing what to expect. Many of my friends already in grad school and professors have told me to compose an excellent personal statement, because it will make a huge difference in their decision making. I was told not to stress too much about the GRE and GPA. I'm enjoying reading the advice on here already though from those who have been through this before.

• 2 weeks later...

B.A Religion from a liberal arts school

M.Div from a conservative seminary

Applying to New testament/Christian Origins programs at Fordham, Columbia, Yale, SMU, Baylor, FSU, BC.

Want to do Pauline studies and pneumatology.

Undergrad GPA 3.85

Grad GPA 3.8

GRE 1340- 710v, 630q (retaking in a month)

Anyone know how many spots are open in each of these schools? I know Yale has only 1 per field, Fordham has 2 per field. Not sure about the rest?

Any advice on applying?

B.A Religion from a liberal arts school

M.Div from a conservative seminary

Applying to New testament/Christian Origins programs at Fordham, Columbia, Yale, SMU, Baylor, FSU, BC.

Want to do Pauline studies and pneumatology.

Undergrad GPA 3.85

Grad GPA 3.8

GRE 1340- 710v, 630q (retaking in a month)

Anyone know how many spots are open in each of these schools? I know Yale has only 1 per field, Fordham has 2 per field. Not sure about the rest?

Any advice on applying?

I know Columbia is 1 per field. I will pm you will more details regarding Columbia

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experience and/or knowledge about application to Vanderbilt? I am interested in the PhD program in the College of Arts and Sciences, not the Divinity School. I recall several postings concerning Vanderbilt last year, but mostly about the Div program. I'm looking for information concerning the department as a whole, their leanings, etc.

I saw this on the dept. of religion website: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/divinity/gradprograminternational.php and it is one of the reasons I am asking. As an international student, it made me question how they view international applicants.

• 1 month later...

1. Where are you definitely applying / not applying?

• Vanderbilt, PhD (my overwhelming preference)
  • Rice, PhD
  • Notre Dame, PhD
  • unsure beyond that...
    • Homiletics and Liturgics, or
    • Religion / Culture
      • This is my first round

4. Stats

• 3.52 - Undergrad GPA
  • 2.89 - Grad GPS (eek!)
  • 3.88 - PostGrad
  • GREv - 660
  • GREq - 530
    I know my Graduate GPA is a pretty big burden, and there is a pretty good explanation, but we'll see how much it hurts me. I have a great background in both theology and communications as well as 10+ years experience working in both fields. I am worried about my chances, but trusting God. I have been taking classes over the last year to try and prove my academic ability as well as get some references. We shall see how it turns out! It is amazing how competitive these programs are!!

Applying to:

Notre Dame: M.A. Early Christian Studies

Duke: A.M. Religion

Yale: M.A.R.

Marquette: M.A. Historical Theology

Indiana University: M.A. Religious Studies

CUA: M.A./Ph.D. Early Christian Studies

SMU: M.A./Ph.D. Religious Studies

Background:

B.A. Liberal Arts (small liberal arts college)

UGPA: 4.0

GRE: 1600

I'm hoping for Notre Dame, but I imagine they're not accepting many into their program.

Edited by Noble

Applying to:

Notre Dame: M.A. Early Christian Studies

Duke: A.M. Religion

Yale: M.A.R.

Marquette: M.A. Historical Theology

Indiana University: M.A. Religious Studies

CUA: M.A./Ph.D. Early Christian Studies

SMU: M.A./Ph.D. Religious Studies

Background:

B.A. Liberal Arts (small liberal arts college)

UGPA: 4.0

GRE: 1600

I'm hoping for Notre Dame, but I imagine they're not accepting many into their program.

you will definitely get in to most, if not all of the programs you are applying to. most likely full tuition to some of them too!

LateAntique,

Just curious, but what criteria are you using to make this assertion? Just so I can further understand what results in getting into elite programs...

Noble's original post was blank (notice my quote). Thus, I felt like every school they listed was a given.

• 4 weeks later...

Any struggles or experiences with applying you'd like to share?

I am writing my SOP for a top 10 program (my only one of those) right now and am having impostor syndrome to a ludicrous extent. Gaaah why does this particular professor have to teach at that school...

• 2 weeks later...

Profile:

B.A. Philosophy; Biblical and Theological Studies (Gordon College) - 3.8

M.T.S. History of Christianity (University of Notre Dame)- 3.8

1 year teaching experience

GRE: 1450

French - Passed Reading Exam

Latin - Intermediate

NT Greek - Advanced

Marquette (deferred)

Notre Dame

Boston College

I'm applying in Systematic Theology at all three schools. My central interests include method, anthropology, and Christology.

This time around I have a much shorter list. Now that I know I am employable (am currently teaching religion and philosophy at a prep school) I'm less inclined to go if the fit isn't perfect.

I've also given my letter-writing professors drafts of my statements much earlier, and initiated more conversations with them, rather than just handing them a folder. I think I was a little too shy to sell myself last year. I've also been pushing drafts on all my friends (many of whom are in ST at ND right now).

This year, I'm able to hand in a writing sample that connects with my personal statement, and is not just chosen because its the best piece of work I have.

I have a semester more of classes under my belt than last time, including one more phd class (in a major interest, with a professor who is now writing a letter) and another semester of Latin, so hopefully that will make me look stronger as well.

Nervous as hell.

ES

• 2 weeks later...

How's everyone doing? Thought I'd jump back in the mess that is gradcafe. Here's my info:

1. Emory

2. Historical Studies

3. This is my second round, but I feel a lot better this go around. What did I change? Everything.

Best of luck to everyone who is scampering around to make upcoming deadlines, especially as recommenders and programs start going on mental holiday through December and January. Good timing, right?

Just take a deep breath. Hang out with friends. Drink a beer. Realize the world is not about to end.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently in a master's program in religious studies. I just got my fall semester grades, and I'm a little bummed out. I've received too many Bs (5 total in 3 semesters). I've heard that a B in grad school is not good. How much truth is there to that? Do I have a realistic shot at PhD programs anymore? Should I be thinking up different career options at this point?

Now that I'm done with applications, my list has changed from what was originally posted by me. Here are my new prospects:

I'm applying to the following schools and programs:

1. Harvard Divinity School

M.Div

2. Claremont School of Theology

M.Div

3. Yale University

Ph.D. Program in American Religious History

4. University of California - Santa Barbara

Ph.D. Program in Religion in America or Religion and Culture

5. Union Theological Seminary in NYC

M.Div

6. Pacific School of Religion

M.Div

Research interests: Evangelical Religion, Culture, and Media in the United States; Men and Masculinity; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Issues; Queer Theory; New Testament; Religion and Society

tenorcervantes, do you follow slacktivist's Left Behind commentary series?