Official Canadian University Thread 2015

Blake091

• 3 weeks later...

Toronto is a little different with funding, I believe. I know that there is a guarantee of at least 15K + tuition (unless you have external funding and then you don't get as much from the university).

I would assume that if they have not told you otherwise, it's around this? They also might want to know if you have SSHRC or OGS before giving you specific numbers. 

It does not hurt to ask though. Mention that you would like that information because it factors into your decision. Additionally, hol tight for the letter. I received an admission email two weeks before receiving the actual letter (though funding is not detailed in it).

Hi! Did you receive another letter with funding details? I received my offer of admission yesterday from SGS without funding details. I need the funding details to apply for a student visa and I'm not sure how it works. Please help if you can. Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I was waitlisted for York Political Science PhD. I was just wondering if anyone had a rough idea on:

a)how many applicants are generally offered a spot at York Poli Sci for PhD

b)how many spots are generally available (ie: they assume a certain percentage of offers will decline)

c)how many people are put on the waitlist

d)how many people from the waitlist might be expected to be offered a spot, and how late in the summer this would still be a possibility

If anyone might be able to offer some insight on this, it would be very much appreciated. I want to get a rough estimate on my chances of getting in this year, and also a sense of the competitiveness of my application. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure where to mention this but I wanted to sing praises about a policy from Simon Fraser University that was not at my former institution. Apparently senior PhD students are matched to incoming grad students so that if there are any random questions or concerns the grads can ask their respective student mentors. On it's face it seems childish to me, but having a fellow student you ask questions is an awesome resource, especially when you're an international student. Maybe not all departments at SFU do this, but mine does and its super useful.

Go Canada (and useful policies everywhere)!