Official Canadian University Thread 2015

Blake091

Thanks! I also applied to two other programs at OISE: Adult Education and Community Leadership and Educational Leadership and policy, but only because you pay a fee and it includes 3 programs at OISE. My 3 choices are the ones I have already been accepted to. As much as I love to stay at York because it is close to home, benefits are fantastic and funding is slightly better and I can keep working with my masters supervisor, I think OISE might be a better option in terms of future employability (weather or not in the academia). I don't know thought. Still not sure.

Hey! Just wondering @hazelnut.latte did they mention when they would officially be releasing the admissions decisions for SJE? I applied for the MA and MEd though. CONGRATS. that's awesome! 

Also, just curious if any one else applied to Masters of Journalism at Ryerson? I saw that someone heard back yesterday! Still waiting! 

Hey! Just wondering @hazelnut.latte did they mention when they would officially be releasing the admissions decisions for SJE? I applied for the MA and MEd though. CONGRATS. that's awesome! 

Also, just curious if any one else applied to Masters of Journalism at Ryerson? I saw that someone heard back yesterday! Still waiting! 

She said the official results will be released mid March. If you call them they might be able to tell you if you were admitted or not.

I talked to a few people, I even got an excited email from the professor who agreed to be my supervisor at OISE, I think my mind is 85% made up. Except it really bugs me that I have to give up York's awesome benefit package. Anyone know more about U of T's so called "Health Spending Account" and how it works? The CUPE's website is really terrible on details.

Congratulations..

Pls anyone else applied to masters program in Lethbridge for the fall?. Haven't seen anyone on the forum mention anything about the University and Results search isnt helping either as there's only one entry from way back in 2010.

I just got an e-mail from Lethbridge today saying that i have been admitted to the MSc program.

I just got an e-mail from Lethbridge today saying that i have been admitted to the MSc program.

Yeah..Congratulations

I got the same mail too notifying me of admission into my program of interest. ..I am super excited I tell you..It says Details of funding later tho.

Thanks to all members of the house, its been an awesome journey

I've applied to OISE and have been accepted to the Masters of Teaching program P/J level, just curious if anyone has any knowledge of this program they can expand on? Does anyone mind sharing their thoughts on OISE, MT program? I would greatly appreciate it!! I have also been accepted to teacher's education at Western, and will have to chose between the two. :)

*Still waiting to hear from Simon Fraser University about master's acceptance/rejection- specifically their school of criminology*

Contacted them about a week and a half ago, told me they would have it sorted by late this last week and get the info out soon thereafter. Waiting game it is.

Waitlisted for the SFU Masters in Communications program...supposed to know for sure by March 20th. Ugh my fingers are crossed so tightly I can feel them pulsing O_O

Relax, u will be fyn.

I talked to a few people, I even got an excited email from the professor who agreed to be my supervisor at OISE, I think my mind is 85% made up. Except it really bugs me that I have to give up York's awesome benefit package. Anyone know more about U of T's so called "Health Spending Account" and how it works? The CUPE's website is really terrible on details.

Hi there! Congrats on the acceptances. I'm currently in a grad program at U of T and I'm well-versed in stuff like the healthcare spending account: http://cupe3902.org/unit-1/unit-1-benefits/healthcare-spending-account-unit-1/

I think that that page has lots of details, but the healthcare stuff is always confusing for new applicants because our primary plan is through the Graduate Students Union (carrier is Greenshield), and the Health Care Spending Account (HCSA) through CUPE is used to supplement things that Greenshield doesn't cover, or doesn't totally cover (so, for example, Greenshield only covers you for $125 every OTHER year for glasses/contacts, if you have to spend $300, you apply to the HSCA after to get that $175 back if it's a year that you ARE covered for that expense by Greenshield - or get the full $300 back, if this expense isn't covered by Greenshield that year). Word to the wise: the HCSA might undergo some changes during our current round of striking/bargaining! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, but you should also check the details again after we get our new Collective Agreement.

ETA: You need to do Unit one work (TA, Course instructor, invigilator ect) for 50 hours/year to get access to the HCSA. I just mention that because I think that students in OISE TA way less than other departments - they don't really have an undergrad-equivalent department right? So work can be scarce. Not sure if your acceptance letter says anything about a guaranteed number of hours you're expected to TA, just another thing to think about/check on!

Edited by surefire

Hi there! Congrats on the acceptances. I'm currently in a grad program at U of T and I'm well-versed in stuff like the healthcare spending account: http://cupe3902.org/unit-1/unit-1-benefits/healthcare-spending-account-unit-1/

I think that that page has lots of details, but the healthcare stuff is always confusing for new applicants because our primary plan is through the Graduate Students Union (carrier is Greenshield), and the Health Care Spending Account (HCSA) through CUPE is used to supplement things that Greenshield doesn't cover, or doesn't totally cover (so, for example, Greenshield only covers you for $125 every OTHER year for glasses/contacts, if you have to spend $300, you apply to the HSCA after to get that $175 back if it's a year that you ARE covered for that expense by Greenshield - or get the full $300 back, if this expense isn't covered by Greenshield that year). Word to the wise: the HCSA might undergo some changes during our current round of striking/bargaining! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, but you should also check the details again after we get our new Collective Agreement.

ETA: You need to do Unit one work (TA, Course instructor, invigilator ect) for 50 hours/year to get access to the HCSA. I just mention that because I think that students in OISE TA way less than other departments - they don't really have an undergrad-equivalent department right? So work can be scarce. Not sure if your acceptance letter says anything about a guaranteed number of hours you're expected to TA, just another thing to think about/check on!

Thank you so much for writing to me. For some reason The GSA healthcare offends me. It looks like it's mocking the students with how little they pay. At York for example, we get $2000 to cover RMTs Chrippractic, physio, podiatry, therapy and many more, all of our drug costs are covered, $300 every other year for glasses and so much more and we don't have to pay the annual fees demanded by the GSA. Here's a link to CUPE 3903's benefits:

http://3903.cupe.ca/benefits-plan/

It is baffling, considering York's TA/GA's are about 3700 compared to U of Ts 6000!! What went wrong in previous bargaining rounds that got U of T suck with such terrible and inadequate benefits plan? I mean $1,555.70 for a family of 3 or more?? We actually have to pay?? "up to $500 per policy year for psychology"??? That's like 2 visits. Even with the $800 spending account it is still a cruel joke. A dental filling or a root canal can easily cost upward of $1000!!! Also, finding the information on both CUPE's and the GSA website are very difficult as everything is buried. I think they could do a better job making the information more accessible. The CUPE website you kindly sent me, makes the most vital information i.e. what is covered so hidden and you have to spend so much time just finding the details, and even then it doesn't give you a breakdown of how much and what are covered, they are just examples.

As I said, I keep waiting for someone to tell me I am reading this info wrong. But for some reason I feel like that benefits plan is a slap in the face and the students certainly deserve better. If York could get it, why should U of T put up with this? Even with the new collective agreement I highly doubt the changes to the benefits plan would be that drastic. Is there a link where we can see CUPE 3902's demands?

Again, thank you for taking the time and writing to me. I am frustrated with U of T and can't understand for the life of me why they can't treat their most vital staff fairly!

How is everyone here? did anyone accept their admission offers from ComCult or SPT yet? I finally decided to accept SPT instead of COmCult. I just feel it suites my interests more than ComCult, but wondering what the next steps are? At the same time I am waiting for the official offer from SJE at OISE. Assome of you know I have been debating and researching the 3 programs, and I ended up talking to some profs. They all seem to agree on one point: ComCult i specially good if you don't want an academic position after, but OISE is the place to be if you want one. They mostly agreed that interdisciplinary programs, as valuable as they are, are considered in the academia as mediocre programs! They used that word: mediocre!

Just thought I'd share my research if anyone is still in the decision making phase.

Good luck!

How is everyone here? 

Just thought I'd share my research if anyone is still in the decision making phase.

Good luck!

Still waiting to hear from the Criminology Department at Simon Fraser. I don't wana be that guy who's badgering them all the time, but they said they'd have it figured out by last Saturday, and my other schools told me the last week of February.

It'll be either Texas State University or Simon Fraser University [probably]. I haven't been updated on Cincinnati's funding opportunities for me but they'd have to be amazing to be competitive with how badly I want to attend the other 2 schools.

Has anyone heard back from Wilfrid Laurier University? I was sent an email from the administrative assistant in mid February saying that they are offering me admission to the MABE (MA in Business Economics) program. But, its been a month now and I still haven't received an official offer of admission letter from them! I've called them twice and they kept telling me that it'll take a few more days. It's been a week now. Anyone have a similar experience or know what's taking them so long?? 

Officially heard from Simon Fraser in Vancouver (technically Burnaby) British Columbia! I was accepted with a 34k funding offer for the two year master's program. It indicated I could apply for other competitive financial awards as well, and as their tuition is only about 7k per year, the funding package is more than enough for me to attend classes there.

I had an anxiety attack when I read their letter, and will very likely accept as it is the most financially competitive compared to the other schools I applied for and is tied for 1st place in terms of research fit. 

Has anyone heard back from Wilfrid Laurier University? I was sent an email from the administrative assistant in mid February saying that they are offering me admission to the MABE (MA in Business Economics) program. But, its been a month now and I still haven't received an official offer of admission letter from them! I've called them twice and they kept telling me that it'll take a few more days. It's been a week now. Anyone have a similar experience or know what's taking them so long?? 

Hi Pugsandhugs, I received my unofficial offer from the POI, it has been two weeks, I still did not receive the official offer. I emailed the graduate office today, hopefully they will reply me tomorrow.

Applied to only one university (since I didn't have the cash to apply for more)
Waiting on reply for application to MEng at UBC Okanagan
Anybody heard anything?
#TheWaitingGame

I've applied to OISE and have been accepted to the Masters of Teaching program P/J level, just curious if anyone has any knowledge of this program they can expand on? Does anyone mind sharing their thoughts on OISE, MT program? I would greatly appreciate it!! I have also been accepted to teacher's education at Western, and will have to chose between the two. :)

Did you make a decision? I know that Western required a response by March 18th.

I was also accepted to both Western and OISE for I/S and chose OISE. I'm really looking forward to the chance to do a major research paper and to specialize (I'm looking at specializing in social justice). I think one of the major advantages is getting both a teacher certification and a Master's degree at the same time. 

If you decide to attend OISE, I just may see you in September! :)

Hello

I am international student who applied to MSc Petroleum Engineering program in U of Alberta.

I had an interview through Skype in the early March, and the atmosphere was good I think.

The professor said I would get the result at most within March, but still haven't received answer yet.

Since he asked me to respond to his answer regarding admission(haven't got it though) until early April, waiting is getting more stressful and I'm also getting nervous!!

Does this kind of things commonly happen? Please give me some advice..:(

I got into Lakehead's HBSW yesterday! Not a masters but it's a post-degree program so I figured it was cool to post here. Anyone else get into the Thunder Bay campus? Everyone on the social work thread seems to have gotten into Orillia, would be awesome to chat to anyone else who heard from TBay!