Official Canadian University Thread 2015

Blake091

Guys, this waiting is really doing a number on me. Aside from me checking my email and admissions portals 101 times per day, now i've been DREAMING about it -- as you can imagine, I get up tired :/

PhD Geography applicant here-- U of T and Laurier (any word or inside scoop)? I want to call/email the Offices but I don't want to seem like i'm bombarding them--i'm thinking to wait until the 1st March, which seems like a reasonable time, as applications closed off only at the end of Jan. Thoughts?

Also, any suggestions as to how I can help control this anxiety? I'd be grateful

Thanks! 

^^ I can totally relate to the dreams! I've been pretty lucky as my first acceptance happened way earlier than I was even expecting. Have you looked in the results search to see when applicants to your programs started receiving news? That really helped me as I wasn't even thinking that I would hear any news before early March.

Easier said than done, but try and keep yourself busy with other things (away from the computer!), I really think that when I was checking the results / my email multiple times that tended to increase my restlessness and anxiety. 

Hello

I'm an international applicant looking to apply for Masters in the field of petroleum engineering. Apparently, University of Calgary has a pretty extensive dept. of chemical and petroleum engg., but they offer only admissions if you have been accepted by a faculty member. I have sent mails to 4 of them, but received no response till now. Should I just give up hope and look at other colleges or try to contact other supervisors as well? The application deadline is 15th March.

Thanks

P.S. A friend of mine in a different program at Calgary told me that Alberta is in recession with plenty of layoffs happening. How true is this and can you suggest some other colleges for petroleum engg.? Among Canadian universities, I am only applying to Univ of Calgary and Univ of Alberta

I think you can submit the application just so you wont miss the deadline and then keep looking for a faculty member to support you. Keep in touch with them, specially the program administrators they should be able to help.

As for Alberta recession, looks that way. A mild recession is in forecast for Alberta with many oil companies laying people off and closing down projects. You never know what it will be like in a few years though.

^^ I can totally relate to the dreams! I've been pretty lucky as my first acceptance happened way earlier than I was even expecting. Have you looked in the results search to see when applicants to your programs started receiving news? That really helped me as I wasn't even thinking that I would hear any news before early March.

Easier said than done, but try and keep yourself busy with other things (away from the computer!), I really think that when I was checking the results / my email multiple times that tended to increase my restlessness and anxiety. 

Thanks for the response autumnreads--I check the results search religiously :/

Unfortunately, my job requires that I be in front of a computer for most of the day--so i'm constantly checking...time I guess...just time!

Just got a positive response from the PhD program in Political Science at the University of Ottawa! So relieved to have at least one answer haha

Congratulations..

Pls anyone else applied to masters program in Lethbridge for the fall?. Haven't seen anyone on the forum mention anything about the University and Results search isnt helping either as there's only one entry from way back in 2010.

I haven't heard anything and have a feeling that I am rejected :( (wow, that was really hard to write)

In my own case I cant say specifically how I feel about the whole process. The only thing just about keeping me optimistic is my Program's promise of a mail regarding applications. I will advice though that you check the results and observe the timeline..Maybe you are getting paranoid over nothing.

Hey,

Has anyone received an offer of funding from Toronto?

I don't know how it works at Canadian universities, but my POI emailed me to say I'd been made an offer (PhD Medieval Studies) but I haven't heard anything official yet. That was two weeks ago and he said I'd receive something in the week following the conversation we had.

I should probably email someone about this, shouldn't I...

Sigh. They don't make it easy, do they?

hey everyone! I just got accepted into the PhD program at Queen's University for Political Science. Any advice on this program?

I've heard good things about the program at Queen's particularly the support that some supervisors can give in terms of funding / research grants etc. which is good. I've only heard positive things about both their MA and PhD programs. 

Did you apply to any other programs? 

Thanks for the input Blake! Only Western. Not sure if I'm going to accept though as I'm getting told by various professors the risks in pursuing a PhD in Political Science Now. How about you what's your first choice?

Thanks for the input Blake! Only Western. Not sure if I'm going to accept though as I'm getting told by various professors the risks in pursuing a PhD in Political Science Now. How about you what's your first choice?

Most of the PhD's I've met at UCalgary have been telling me the exact same thing, so I'm also hesitant to sign up for another 4+ years haha... I did my undergrad at Western - I approve of that choice lol. 

As for my PhD apps, I think Carleton is my top choice, followed by UofT and Ottawa...of course this is contingent on:

1. getting an offer &

2. the funding that comes with it!

hey everyone! I just got accepted into the PhD program at Queen's University for Political Science. Any advice on this program?

Just got a positive response from the PhD program in Political Science at the University of Ottawa! So relieved to have at least one answer haha 

Congrats to you both!!!

The first acceptance is definitely thrilling and a huge relief :) I've been accepted to do my PhD at York, a joint York-Ryerson program and Queen's. I am over the moon happy - but somehow feel like more than one offer makes things harder. I can't seem to make up my mind. Anyone else find themselves in a similar situation? I'm still waiting on one more school to get back to me though. 

First Acceptance to Ryerson University (Where I currently am doing my B.Commerce at), What a relief it was to know that I will 100% a graduate student this coming Fall 2015 (30 mins after learning I got into Ryerson, I had an exam for Econometrics! Haha How can I focus with all this hype!!! :wub: ) . Now just waiting and checking everyday for Queen's, Waterloo and U of T to respond! I hope I get into Queen's or U of T! 

Congrats to you both!!!

The first acceptance is definitely thrilling and a huge relief :) I've been accepted to do my PhD at York, a joint York-Ryerson program and Queen's. I am over the moon happy - but somehow feel like more than one offer makes things harder. I can't seem to make up my mind. Anyone else find themselves in a similar situation? I'm still waiting on one more school to get back to me though. 

I just got news from Social & Political Thought at York. I'm in :D

Now if only OISE could be so quick...fewwwww

Hey!  I also got into the PhD in SPT and Com/Cult - how are you two deciding between them, or in relation to your other offers/applications?  I am seriously struggling.  For instance, what do you see as their individual strengths or weaknesses as a program?

Thanks!

Edited by scully#01

Hey!  I also got into the PhD in SPT and Com/Cult - how are you two deciding between them, or in relation to your other offers/applications?  I am seriously struggling.  For instance, what do you see as their individual strengths or weaknesses as a program?

Thanks!

Well I'm in the exact same boat, I got into ComCult early Feb and into SPT last week and to make matters more complicating have a feeling I will also get an offer from Social Justice Education at OISE. I think between SPt and ComCult I would go with ComCult, because it is shorter 1 full course less (3 in comcult vs. 4 in SPT) and also it's less purely theoretical. It is just a feeling though, what do you guys think? I think for employability later, ComCult would be more practical. SPT is a great place to be in but it's more theoretical and so we might have a more difficult time selecting.

As I said these are just my general sense from the two programs and from speaking to both directors several times and also from the list of courses offered and professors. But I'm really interested to see how you two are making your decisions?

Hey,

Has anyone received an offer of funding from Toronto?

I don't know how it works at Canadian universities, but my POI emailed me to say I'd been made an offer (PhD Medieval Studies) but I haven't heard anything official yet. That was two weeks ago and he said I'd receive something in the week following the conversation we had.

I should probably email someone about this, shouldn't I...

Sigh. They don't make it easy, do they?

Toronto is a little different with funding, I believe. I know that there is a guarantee of at least 15K + tuition (unless you have external funding and then you don't get as much from the university).

I would assume that if they have not told you otherwise, it's around this? They also might want to know if you have SSHRC or OGS before giving you specific numbers. 

It does not hurt to ask though. Mention that you would like that information because it factors into your decision. Additionally, hol tight for the letter. I received an admission email two weeks before receiving the actual letter (though funding is not detailed in it).

Well I'm in the exact same boat, I got into ComCult early Feb and into SPT last week and to make matters more complicating have a feeling I will also get an offer from Social Justice Education at OISE. I think between SPt and ComCult I would go with ComCult, because it is shorter 1 full course less (3 in comcult vs. 4 in SPT) and also it's less purely theoretical. It is just a feeling though, what do you guys think? I think for employability later, ComCult would be more practical. SPT is a great place to be in but it's more theoretical and so we might have a more difficult time selecting.

As I said these are just my general sense from the two programs and from speaking to both directors several times and also from the list of courses offered and professors. But I'm really interested to see how you two are making your decisions?

Yes, I have also been slightly lured by the seeming practicality of Com/Cult, but then again I think that, no matter what, a PhD has a low employment rate and one can never know what will be available upon graduation.  Also, in regards to courses, I really like the unstructured nature of the SPT coursework (4 full courses being flexible, including the option to take courses from across the university, such as from Com/Cult) vs C/C's very specific requirements based on the streams as well as the required courses.  It is so hard to know though - for instance, what courses will be offered each year as well as what interests cut across one's cohort let alone the program as a whole.  I have also spoken with both directors and graduates of the programs.  I do think, though, at this point I am leaning towards SPT due to the flexibility and openness, as I am not sure that there are as many courses in C/C that interest me and am not sure that I want my work to be embedded in a communication studies framework (I have always been more within a cultural studies discipline).

I'd be interested in hearing any further thoughts as well!

Edited by scully#01