Official Canadian University Thread 2015

Blake091

I applied to only one school (Waterloo engineering) and it was due on Feb 1st. I feel lucky that I haven't been freaking out as long as everyone who had due dates as far back as December, however I'm really jealous of people who are already finding out! Good luck everyone :) 

Congrats Autumnreads!!!!

I have until March 2nd to hear from all the programs.The wait is driving me insane.

The only good thing has been that due to the changes in education program, the numbers of application seems to have dropped as 7 programs in Ontario have opened up applications again.  There are 12 programs available on OUAC, and that does not include the three programs including UofT this year.  Thinking about throwing another application out there in the next week.

Thanks Tiggerise!! 

Best of luck and I know exactly how you feel. I was waiting about a month before I heard anything and I thought THAT was hard! I didn't know that some applications have been re-opened. It sounds like a positive development for applicants :)

Received an email that I've been accepted into York's PhD program! So excited and also caught off guard as I wasn't expecting to hear anything until March. 

Wow, congratulations! That's awesome. :)

History student here. I applied for M.A. programs at UVic, Dalhousie and Guelph. 

Has anyone had any bad experiences with contacting graduate secretaries/POIs? Every POI I contacted was incredibly nice, however the graduate secretary at Guelph was very rude. 

History student here. I applied for M.A. programs at UVic, Dalhousie and Guelph. 

Has anyone had any bad experiences with contacting graduate secretaries/POIs? Every POI I contacted was incredibly nice, however the graduate secretary at Guelph was very rude.

I contacted a grad secretary at Guelph (psychology department), her name is Robin and she was very nice, she actually replied my emails from home.

I contacted a grad secretary at Guelph (psychology department), her name is Robin and she was very nice, she actually replied my emails from home.

The grad secretary I contacted was for the history department... I understand she was/is very stressed, so I am not letting it bug me too much. 

posting in this topic too!

Applied for Phd Classics to:

Alberta

Calgary

Dalhousie

McMaster

Toronto

UBC

UWO

accepted: Calgary (got an email from the grad coordinator)

rejected: Dalhousie (got an email from grad coordinator -outstanding application, distance between my research interests and the professors there)

Am a USian, mainly applying to US schools, but applied to phds in geog at York and E Asian Studies at Toronto, the latter of which is really a long shot b/c my Chinese isn't very good. Think I should've done Geography there too. I considered McMaster and Simon Fraser both in sociology (York too). but my main faculty interest at the former is, what do you call it a contract 1 year prof? While SFU I was told takes almost no1 and has no money, while my principal supervisor @ York geog would be a better fit for me than anyone in  sociology, hence the switch. Given that my top US choices all seem unlikely at this pt except 1 I'm optimistic about (3 rejections already), York is gonna be high on my radar till I get a decision, I would be elated to go there! Good luck to you all.

I just received my first email after submitting my applications. It was from the graduate coordinator at Guelph indicating that there is a lot of interest in my file and the committee will be meeting during the last week of February to make final decisions. I was just studying and had a good momentum going and now my anxiety is through the roof! I'm pretty sure I will not be able to concentrate for the rest of the afternoon. 

Anyone have any idea when University of Toronto releases their decisions for Sociology? It looks likes some Sociology MA decisions were released around this time last year, so I'm wondering if they'll do the same this year for MA/PhD programs...

Anyone have any idea when University of Toronto releases their decisions for Sociology? It looks likes some Sociology MA decisions were released around this time last year, so I'm wondering if they'll do the same this year for MA/PhD programs...

They usually release them around Valentine's Day - last year was a bit earlier than normal (like, the 11th), in 2012 I heard from them on February 17th; the department has made a concerted effort in recent years to release early so that they can compete with US schools that send out acceptances right at the beginning of the year.

I'm currently in the Soc PhD program here at U of T - feel free to PM me if you get good news and wanna ask any questions!

Looks like they've started to go out. I see 2 MA ones and 1 PhD acceptance (though it says they did their MA there, so it might be a special case/ahead of schedule thing.)

Anyone applying to OISE? I've applied to 3 different PhD programs at OISE and haven't heard back from them. I'm already accepted to Communication & Culture at York and they need an answer before March 6th! Wondering when OISE typically gets back to candidates?

Congrats hazelnut.latte! I'm in a similar position - I've also been accepted to communication and culture and haven't heard anything back from the other programs I applied to (none from OISE so I can't speak to that). I'm debating whether or not I should contact the other programs.

Just an Update - 

I spoke with the Graduate Advisor at UofT in the Poli Sci department, she said that the Ad-Com meets in the first week of March and then the decisions are announced relatively quickly, either that week or the next. I imagine this is for both the MA and PhD applicants. This seems to be pretty much in line with past years' results. 

Hi, This is my first post.

Applied to Lethbridge for MSC and still waiting on the admission decision. Although I must say, its not been easy even when I know I wont be getting a response till late February or early March, I still cant resist the urge to check my application page about 10 times everyday.

I also check my application pages frequently throughout the day, and my email even more so. I check the results page everyday as well, and now that I am seeing more Canadian results for both PhD and Masters programs, I can guarantee my anxiety is fighting an uphill battle. LOL.