Official Canadian University Thread 2015

Blake091

Just an Update - 

I spoke with the Graduate Advisor at UofT in the Poli Sci department, she said that the Ad-Com meets in the first week of March and then the decisions are announced relatively quickly, either that week or the next. I imagine this is for both the MA and PhD applicants. This seems to be pretty much in line with past years' results. 

thanks for letting us know. My problem is I only have till March 6th to reply to York's offer or it will be rescinded and I don't think OISE admissions would have come by then. Don't know what to do!!!

thanks for letting us know. My problem is I only have till March 6th to reply to York's offer or it will be rescinded and I don't think OISE admissions would have come by then. Don't know what to do!!!

You could email and explain that you have a deadline and are curious what the current timeline looks like because you wanted to hear from that school before making the decision.

I had an early deadline and did this. I got a positive "hang tight" with an acceptance the next day from one school and no reply from the other.

Definitely didn't go badly. Just email and be super polite and don't go into too many details.

Just an Update - 

I spoke with the Graduate Advisor at UofT in the Poli Sci department, she said that the Ad-Com meets in the first week of March and then the decisions are announced relatively quickly, either that week or the next. I imagine this is for both the MA and PhD applicants. This seems to be pretty much in line with past years' results. 

Hey, I'm wondering if this timeline is also applicable to PhD Geography as well?

Also, is anyone aware of when Laurier sends out responses (PhD Geography as well)?

I'm not too sure about that, I e-mailed the department directly to figure that out. I'm sure you could do the same? 

I am so frustrated that one of the programs I applied to seems to be rolling out acceptances slowly. Someone was accepted yesterday to the program that I applied to and yet my POI only met with me yesterday to discuss my application in more detail. I'm not surprised that this particular department is kind of laissez-faire about their acceptances but it's still nerve-wracking. AHHHHH.

You could email and explain that you have a deadline and are curious what the current timeline looks like because you wanted to hear from that school before making the decision.

I had an early deadline and did this. I got a positive "hang tight" with an acceptance the next day from one school and no reply from the other.

Definitely didn't go badly. Just email and be super polite and don't go into too many details.

I did exactly that the day I got my first acceptance letter too. OISE came back really sympathetically saying they understand but I wont be hearing anything until March. And by March, God only knows when! Still hoping.

I just spoke with someone at the psychology graduate office at York. She told me that for clinical and clinical-developmental programs, some people have been contacted for interviews but they are still in the process of reviewing applications. She said to expect news sometime next week! Fingers crossed

I've been lucky with both my MA and PhD applications: the first response I received for both was an offer. It takes a considerable weight off your shoulders to know you at least have a position somewhere. I feel for you who have heard nothing or heard nothing but bad news. Try to keep positive...remember the longer you go without hearing means you are still in contention. Be happy that you have not been rejected already.

I have applied for PhD history @ UVic, Queens, UWO, for medieval studies @ Toronto, and Divinity @ Oxford and Cambridge. So far I've only heard from UWO...received an offer with substantial funding.

Go see some movies over the weekend...go out for dinner...do whatever will get your mind off of applications!

I have been accepted to Ryersons MPPA program , I have to accept or decline by March 1st.. way before I will hear from the other schools.

does anyone know how ryerson compares to other MPA/MPP programs ?

how is it compared to Carleton or UofT's programs for example.

Has anyone applied to U of T's PhD program in public health (at the Dalla Lana School of Public Health)? Only one person has posted on the results page indicating that he/she had been rejected. No other info is available; I haven't seen anyone posting about U fof T's public health PhD programs in the Public Health thread.

Am I the only one on this forum who wants to attend their program (does that say something bad about their program...)?

I know its a long shot because it's a very tiny program with a very small pool of applicants, but any fellow BSIA applicants for the MA Global Governance program? I can't be the only one!

I am. As well as, the MGA at Munk. I haven't heard anything, but it might be soon, judging by GradCafe's search records, if they are accurate.

I am. As well as, the MGA at Munk. I haven't heard anything, but it might be soon, judging by GradCafe's search records, if they are accurate.

I have also applied to MGA at Munk. According to the results search, we should be hearing back in a couple of days. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Edited by maozedong

I know its a long shot because it's a very tiny program with a very small pool of applicants, but any fellow BSIA applicants for the MA Global Governance program? I can't be the only one!

i also applied for balsillie for global governance. since theres already 3 of us in this thread, i guess it wasnt such a long shot after all lol!

I applied to the MA Global Governance as well. Also for those of you interested in a Munk Fall 2015 forum, feel free to post at: 

I've applied, too! No word yet, though. 

Hello

I'm an international applicant looking to apply for Masters in the field of petroleum engineering. Apparently, University of Calgary has a pretty extensive dept. of chemical and petroleum engg., but they offer only admissions if you have been accepted by a faculty member. I have sent mails to 4 of them, but received no response till now. Should I just give up hope and look at other colleges or try to contact other supervisors as well? The application deadline is 15th March.

Thanks

P.S. A friend of mine in a different program at Calgary told me that Alberta is in recession with plenty of layoffs happening. How true is this and can you suggest some other colleges for petroleum engg.? Among Canadian universities, I am only applying to Univ of Calgary and Univ of Alberta

Hello

I'm an international applicant looking to apply for Masters in the field of petroleum engineering. Apparently, University of Calgary has a pretty extensive dept. of chemical and petroleum engg., but they offer only admissions if you have been accepted by a faculty member. I have sent mails to 4 of them, but received no response till now. Should I just give up hope and look at other colleges or try to contact other supervisors as well? The application deadline is 15th March.

Thanks

P.S. A friend of mine in a different program at Calgary told me that Alberta is in recession with plenty of layoffs happening. How true is this and can you suggest some other colleges for petroleum engg.? Among Canadian universities, I am only applying to Univ of Calgary and Univ of Alberta

I'd keep trying to contact faculty members at the University of Calgary, but I would start looking at other schools too. The University of Regina has a Masters in Petroleum Systems Engineering (due March 31st) and Memorial University has a Masters in Oil and Gas Engineering (due April 1st).