Official Canadian University Thread 2015

Blake091

I'm still waiting to hear back from all of my schools. I know SFU and UWO have sent out interview invites already, so I'm assuming those will be rejections. Radio silence from Saskatchewan though, odd since their deadline was beginning of December. 

I've had an interview with POI (University of Alberta) back in November, as I was notified, my file is now being reviewed by the admissions committee. U of Saskatchewan is the most frustrating school: no status updates, no replies to e-mails (the assistant is out of the office most of the time); although the POI was very kind to me, but I don't want to bother him with questions.

Also applied to Waterloo, Guelph, Brock, New Brunswick and Lakehead as my safety school. Haven't heard anything from any of those yet.

I've had an interview with POI (University of Alberta) back in November, as I was notified, my file is now being reviewed by the admissions committee. U of Saskatchewan is the most frustrating school: no status updates, no replies to e-mails (the assistant is out of the office most of the time); although the POI was very kind to me, but I don't want to bother him with questions.

Also applied to Waterloo, Guelph, Brock, New Brunswick and Lakehead as my safety school. Haven't heard anything from any of those yet.

I agree about Saskatchewan. Last time I applied (2 years ago), it took her over a month to respond to my email. The deadline for New Brunswick only just passed, so I don't think we'll be hearing back from them until mid-February. I'd like to hear back from Saskatchewan though, given that the deadline was beginning of December. 

I agree about Saskatchewan. Last time I applied (2 years ago), it took her over a month to respond to my email. The deadline for New Brunswick only just passed, so I don't think we'll be hearing back from them until mid-February. I'd like to hear back from Saskatchewan though, given that the deadline was beginning of December.

Last time I heard from Saskatchewan, the grad assistant wrote me that final decisions are made around mid-January.

POI from New Brunswick told me that the committee is meeting in mid-January and students are typically contacted in the late Jan. But grad assistant said that decisions are usually made in early-mid February.

Edited by Sujie

Hey everyone,

The deadlines for my applications just passed so it seems I have a long time to wait before I hear anything! :(

My programs don't send out acceptances until mid-March and early April. I still check my status fifty times a day, though. 

I wish you all the best of luck! Definitely post here if you hear anything. :)

I work at Brock, and we had our grad visitation day this past Friday. 

I am waiting to hear back from York, Queen's and McGill. 

It's comforting to know that I'm not alone in checking my email a lot - even though I know I won't hear back until March (hopefully!). 

Best of luck, everyone!

You're definitely not alone! I forgot how neurotic this process made me... Now that its officially February I don't anticipate it getting any better haha  

Waiting to hear back from U of T after the interview day. I don't know why I both checking my email on the weekend...I know better. I like that there are others out there like me, though :). Solidarity.

Edited by doefficient

You're definitely not alone! I forgot how neurotic this process made me... Now that its officially February I don't anticipate it getting any better haha  

Did you by chance apply to GSPIA and/or NPSIA a couple years back? I think I recognize your username from when I was lurking through some of the older threads.

I work at Brock, and we had our grad visitation day this past Friday.

I am an international student, do you think international applicants had their interviews already as well? (My POI is Dr Hodson) Edited by Sujie

Did you by chance apply to GSPIA and/or NPSIA a couple years back? I think I recognize your username from when I was lurking through some of the older threads.

Yeah I did, I got into both - but the lack of funding available made me reconsider their offers. That's pretty much how I ended up doing Strategic Studies at the University of Calgary. Before oil took a tumble.. they were able to make some pretty generous funding offers hahaha

Yeah I did, I got into both - but the lack of funding available made me reconsider their offers. That's pretty much how I ended up doing Strategic Studies at the University of Calgary. Before oil took a tumble.. they were able to make some pretty generous funding offers hahaha

That still sounds like an awesome program. How did you like it? Are you applying for the GSPIA/NPSIA PhD programs now?

Do you mind if I DM you? I have a couple questions about GSPIA/NPSIA and I don't want to hijack the Canadian thread. :)

That still sounds like an awesome program. How did you like it? Are you applying for the GSPIA/NPSIA PhD programs now?

Do you mind if I DM you? I have a couple questions about GSPIA/NPSIA and I don't want to hijack the Canadian thread. :)

Its pretty awesome, I have 0 regrets haha. I'm applying just to pure Political Science for my PhD - but yeah, feel free to DM me! 

I am an international student, do you think international applicants had their interviews already as well? (My POI is Dr Hodson)

Could be. I know my lab director (Sid Segalowitz) has a potential candidate who couldn't make it in due to distance. So if you are coming from somewhere outside the US, it is possible that you still have a shot. Have you been in touch?

I think what driving me crazy is this last semester grades are need (degree rewarded already) and I was just taking them for a GPA boost if I dont get in this year. Which means if I do get in (March 2 for Bed, not sure for MT at UofT)  I can drop these courses and just breath.

Could be. I know my lab director (Sid Segalowitz) has a potential candidate who couldn't make it in due to distance. So if you are coming from somewhere outside the US, it is possible that you still have a shot. Have you been in touch?

I emailed Dr Hodson before applying. He answered that he would supervise my research and encouraged me to apply. But it was more like a short generic email; maybe the professors have to encourage everyone to apply, just so that the schools can earn money on the application fees. :| 

Lexifer - Why do you write rejected (presumed)?  I am just wondering because I have seen other people do that and I don't understand why people wouldn't wait to update to rejected until they had heard something.

I am only waiting on one school.  I am already accepted to UofT (deferred from last year) so I am just waiting to hear from Laurier.  They make notifications sometime within the last 2 weeks of February so it is getting close.

Lexifer - Why do you write rejected (presumed)?  I am just wondering because I have seen other people do that and I don't understand why people wouldn't wait to update to rejected until they had heard something.

I am only waiting on one school.  I am already accepted to UofT (deferred from last year) so I am just waiting to hear from Laurier.  They make notifications sometime within the last 2 weeks of February so it is getting close.

I wrote it assuming I'm rejected because interview offers have already been sent out for some programs I've applied to, and I did not receive one. 

A friend of mine was invited to the Brock grad day and I was not, so I assumed that I was rejected and my friend is the top-pick for my POI at Ryerson, so I know that I was not picked as his student. I wrote presumed because I am fairly certain that I will not get into those programs, but I have not heard anything official yet.