Official Canadian University Thread 2015

Blake091

Yes, I have also been slightly lured by the seeming practicality of Com/Cult, but then again I think that, no matter what, a PhD has a low employment rate and one can never know what will be available upon graduation.  Also, in regards to courses, I really like the unstructured nature of the SPT coursework (4 full courses being flexible, including the option to take courses from across the university, such as from Com/Cult) vs C/C's very specific requirements based on the streams as well as the required courses.  It is so hard to know though - for instance, what courses will be offered each year as well as what interests cut across one's cohort let alone the program as a whole.  I have also spoken with both directors and graduates of the programs.  I do think, though, at this point I am leaning towards SPT due to the flexibility and openness, as I am not sure that there are as many courses in C/C that interest me and am not sure that I want my work to be embedded in a communication studies framework (I have always been more within a cultural studies discipline).

I'd be interested in hearing any further thoughts as well!

Can you take courses from across the university in SPT? because I noticed they have a list of courses that are offered. I have to admit, theoretically the SPT courses seem much more appealing to me but since my research falls into political communication (Habermas etc) more than culture, and some of the courses (and many of the professors) I like are actually common in both programs, I'm somewhat leaning more towards ComCult. Having said that I did notice on their website that should you need or want to take courses outside what they offer you could do so with director's approval, which I guess wouldn't be difficult to obtain.

besides the 2 extra half courses at SPT force us to finish the course work in 3 semester as opposed to 2 and the program takes longer that way.

on another note, I noticed the 3 mandatory courses at ComCult include research methods, I have already taken that course for my Masters (not in ComCult though), I wonder if you can get a credit for it? By the way how can anyone write a masters thesis without having taken research methods first??

Having said all of that I am still not sold 100% on ComCult. When Ann McLennan spoke to me she said they're trying ot get everyone out the door in 4 years, but I remember when I went for the info session Diane (the GPA) said they had very few students that could finish up in 4 years and usually students have to go into their 5th year. Do you happen to know how long SPT typically takes? 4 or 5 years? or how realistic ComCult'sclaim of 4 years really is?

I'm glad we are exploring this. My deadline to accept ComCult is March 6th and SPT March 16th. So I have to make a decision quickly.

Toronto is a little different with funding, I believe. I know that there is a guarantee of at least 15K + tuition (unless you have external funding and then you don't get as much from the university).

I would assume that if they have not told you otherwise, it's around this? They also might want to know if you have SSHRC or OGS before giving you specific numbers. 

It does not hurt to ask though. Mention that you would like that information because it factors into your decision. Additionally, hol tight for the letter. I received an admission email two weeks before receiving the actual letter (though funding is not detailed in it).

Thanks! I emailed them yesterday and received the official offer through today. It was pretty much exactly as you said: 15K + tuition + a few thousand extra dollars in the first three years from some fellowships. They also said I should tell them if I'm considering accepting another offer on solely financial grounds. Does anyone know if it's possible to live in Toronto on 15K a year? I've lived on very low wages in other cities, so I can definitely scrimp and save, but I don't know what the living costs in Toronto are like.

Thanks! I emailed them yesterday and received the official offer through today. It was pretty much exactly as you said: 15K + tuition + a few thousand extra dollars in the first three years from some fellowships. They also said I should tell them if I'm considering accepting another offer on solely financial grounds. Does anyone know if it's possible to live in Toronto on 15K a year? I've lived on very low wages in other cities, so I can definitely scrimp and save, but I don't know what the living costs in Toronto are like.

I'm gonna be honest, it could be tough. My boyfriend is at U of T law and currently renting an apartment with another person. They pay $900 each. I've never heard of anyone paying much less than that (unless you come way out into the boonies, where you lose it all on commuting) and frequently hear of people spending much more. If you can live a year on only $3k after rent, all the power to you!!

For those considering Queens - as a current undergrad with many friends in hrad school, I would highly recommend! I have two friends in the polisci masters who love it (though they both did undergrad here as well).

Can you take courses from across the university in SPT? because I noticed they have a list of courses that are offered. I have to admit, theoretically the SPT courses seem much more appealing to me but since my research falls into political communication (Habermas etc) more than culture, and some of the courses (and many of the professors) I like are actually common in both programs, I'm somewhat leaning more towards ComCult. Having said that I did notice on their website that should you need or want to take courses outside what they offer you could do so with director's approval, which I guess wouldn't be difficult to obtain.

besides the 2 extra half courses at SPT force us to finish the course work in 3 semester as opposed to 2 and the program takes longer that way.

on another note, I noticed the 3 mandatory courses at ComCult include research methods, I have already taken that course for my Masters (not in ComCult though), I wonder if you can get a credit for it? By the way how can anyone write a masters thesis without having taken research methods first??

Having said all of that I am still not sold 100% on ComCult. When Ann McLennan spoke to me she said they're trying ot get everyone out the door in 4 years, but I remember when I went for the info session Diane (the GPA) said they had very few students that could finish up in 4 years and usually students have to go into their 5th year. Do you happen to know how long SPT typically takes? 4 or 5 years? or how realistic ComCult'sclaim of 4 years really is?

I'm glad we are exploring this. My deadline to accept ComCult is March 6th and SPT March 16th. So I have to make a decision quickly.

You can take your electives (half the course load) in anything, so within SPT or from any other program, from what I understand.  Same here - I can access the same professors through both programs, but am confused on which will provide the best groundwork for my research.  I'd assume the research methods is unavoidable as it will be program specific, I suppose.  I have heard from students that it typically takes more than 4 years, so as to not rush yourself, etc.  But I'm sure it also depends on your project and work ethic.  I am assuming it will take more than 4 years for myself. And same - I also have to decide by those dates - very stressful! 

You can take your electives (half the course load) in anything, so within SPT or from any other program, from what I understand.  Same here - I can access the same professors through both programs, but am confused on which will provide the best groundwork for my research.  I'd assume the research methods is unavoidable as it will be program specific, I suppose.  I have heard from students that it typically takes more than 4 years, so as to not rush yourself, etc.  But I'm sure it also depends on your project and work ethic.  I am assuming it will take more than 4 years for myself. And same - I also have to decide by those dates - very stressful! 

I guess in terms of ground work for your research it really depends on your project and your supervisors. One of my plus points for ComCult is my current lead supervisor is also there and he is a tremendous help. My experience with courses has always been they don't provide the in depth knowledge you need to write your thesis. That comes from your own readings. 

I agree with you, I definitely think it will take me longer than 4 years to finish in either program. SPT's theoretical breadth really pulls me too, I wish they never accepted me and I only had one option and didn't have to make a decision.

In trying to decide which PhD admission offer to accept, I am online reading all the time. One of the major concerns of course is employability once the degree is over specially in the academia. I'm not really interested in commercial work, I really want to either be in an academic setting (universities think tanks etc.) or the UN or government etc. What keeps popping up is that as great as interdisciplinary programs are in terms of the depth and breadth of knowledge they offer, most universities still higher people from single disciplines (i.e. sociology, philosophy etc.) and most interdisciplinary PhD holders like the two I have been accepted to Communication and Culture and Social and Political Thought are left out in the cold with little chance at getting an academic job.

I really appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this.

it's possible, but definitely a stretch. if you find a roommate outside the downtown area it's possible to pay rent for $700 each. you'll have to deal with commute issues though.

Hi everyone, I sent an email to my POI to check the application status. Got reply saying he reviewed some applications last week but will only recruit 1 or 2 students due to funding limit, and suggests me to contact other professors to see if they are recruiting students for fall. Can someone tell me what that means, it implies I am rejected???   So anxious...

For those who received an offer from UofT, what was your deadline to respond? Mine was "within 4 weeks" but the admin at my program (reluctantly) told me April 15th after I told her I might have an offer that will come later than the letter deadline.

I don't really believe her for some reason lol ... 

Edited by nuih

For those who received an offer from UofT, what was your deadline to respond? Mine was "within 4 weeks" but the admin at my program (reluctantly) told me April 15th after I told her I might have an offer that will come later than the letter deadline.

I don't really believe her for some reason lol ... 

I was told April 15th, but that "it would be great if you could let us know sooner".

I'm definitely not going to be able to accept for another couple of weeks (waiting on decisions from other places), but I reckon I should be able to let them know by the end of March.

Yes, I have also been slightly lured by the seeming practicality of Com/Cult, but then again I think that, no matter what, a PhD has a low employment rate and one can never know what will be available upon graduation.  

I'd be interested in hearing any further thoughts as well!

I feel the same way. I think that may be why when I was applying, Comm Cult was my top choice. I like to have options, especially since we know the current outlook for the academic job market. The program seems to fit what I'm looking for and fits my research. And true... who knows what may change (individually as well as the job market market) between now and when we graduate. Yet, I still don't feel like I'm 100% ready to accept the offer! (it's so frustrating!). 

I have to admit, theoretically the SPT courses seem much more appealing to me but since my research falls into political communication (Habermas etc) more than culture, and some of the courses (and many of the professors) I like are actually common in both programs, I'm somewhat leaning more towards ComCult. Having said that I did notice on their website that should you need or want to take courses outside what they offer you could do so with director's approval, which I guess wouldn't be difficult to obtain.

It's possible to get it done in 4 years - but as we all know, there are a variety of factors that can affect that. It all depends on the individual, what's going on in their life at the time, priorities and external events. I think having the additional 1-2 more years to finish allows for a cushion - some may procrastinate more, take more time, enjoy the student life - while others will hold steadfast to their goal of finishing in 4.  I know of people who took a 2 year Master's program, but were only funded for 1 - and finished in 1 because financially it wasn't possible to extend it. It's not the same as a PhD - but still an example of how a tight (or seemingly fixed) deadline can be a motivating factor. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one finding it hard to make a decision! 

I feel the same way. I think that may be why when I was applying, Comm Cult was my top choice. I like to have options, especially since we know the current outlook for the academic job market. The program seems to fit what I'm looking for and fits my research. And true... who knows what may change (individually as well as the job market market) between now and when we graduate. Yet, I still don't feel like I'm 100% ready to accept the offer! (it's so frustrating!). 

It's possible to get it done in 4 years - but as we all know, there are a variety of factors that can affect that. It all depends on the individual, what's going on in their life at the time, priorities and external events. I think having the additional 1-2 more years to finish allows for a cushion - some may procrastinate more, take more time, enjoy the student life - while others will hold steadfast to their goal of finishing in 4.  I know of people who took a 2 year Master's program, but were only funded for 1 - and finished in 1 because financially it wasn't possible to extend it. It's not the same as a PhD - but still an example of how a tight (or seemingly fixed) deadline can be a motivating factor. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one finding it hard to make a decision! 

I keep reading about how most school pass on candidates with interdisciplinary degrees such as ComCult and SPT for candidates in traditional fields such as Sociology, philosophy etc, when it comes to hiring faculty. Have you guys heard anything?

^^ I haven't heard anything. Is this something being explicitly stated by universities / Phd graduates searchig for jobs?

As more and more schools are offering these types of programs - and calls for interdisciplinary approaches to research topics are common - That completely boggles my mind! I'm interested in hearing more if anyone has more info!!

^^ I haven't heard anything. Is this something being explicitly stated by universities / Phd graduates searchig for jobs?

As more and more schools are offering these types of programs - and calls for interdisciplinary approaches to research topics are common - That completely boggles my mind! I'm interested in hearing more if anyone has more info!!

The PhDs in my program (Military & Strategic Studies - which is Interdisciplinary) have had a difficult time landing even adjunct/sessional teaching positions because they're not considered qualified in the specific field even though they take the same IR/Strategic Studies Comprehensive exams as Political Science students. So yes its a thing that can be held against you in an academic job search - but that's not to say its bound to happen all the time. 

I keep reading about how most school pass on candidates with interdisciplinary degrees such as ComCult and SPT for candidates in traditional fields such as Sociology, philosophy etc, when it comes to hiring faculty. Have you guys heard anything?

I have heard that PhD programs in 'Interdisciplinary Studies' specifically are not competitive.  However, my potential main supervisor said that SPT and Com/Cult are both more specific, whilst being interdisciplinary, and are therefore more hireable.  I have also heard that it depends what field and types of courses you want to teach one day.  For instance, Com/Cult grads get hired in communications, information studies, cultural studies, etc., while SPT grad would get hired in another (and crossover) range of interdisciplinary programs or discipline-specific departments.  So it really depends, from what I understand, as well as how you market yourself.  Further, I have also heard that it really depends to what extent you are able to or are interested in relocating, such as away from the GTA, let alone Ontario as a whole.  

I have heard that PhD programs in 'Interdisciplinary Studies' specifically are not competitive.  However, my potential main supervisor said that SPT and Com/Cult are both more specific, whilst being interdisciplinary, and are therefore more hireable.  I have also heard that it depends what field and types of courses you want to teach one day.  For instance, Com/Cult grads get hired in communications, information studies, cultural studies, etc., while SPT grad would get hired in another (and crossover) range of interdisciplinary programs or discipline-specific departments.  So it really depends, from what I understand, as well as how you market yourself.  Further, I have also heard that it really depends to what extent you are able to or are interested in relocating, such as away from the GTA, let alone Ontario as a whole.  

My problem on top of ComCult vs SPT is that it was hinted to me that I have a good chance at getting into Social Justice Education program at OISE which doesn't have the above problems with getting hired, but I am trying to figure out if OISE is as good as they say it is or is it just a name now. Besides what is it good for? Just getting hired? Someone was saying they are very research intensive which suites my interests. But having a family, I'm concerned with their funding package which is lower than York and their benefit package which honestly was insulting to even read compared to the awesome benefits at York. Besides my mentor for many years and a member of my MA thesis committee is at ComCult!! I don't know if anyone else is in the same boat, but I'm very stressed out about having to make this decision by end of week.

Thank you both for your responses, EnfantTerrible and lore!  

I was told April 15th, but that "it would be great if you could let us know sooner".

I'm definitely not going to be able to accept for another couple of weeks (waiting on decisions from other places), but I reckon I should be able to let them know by the end of March.

I have a March 15th deadline, but it's a MA program. 

I don't know if anyone else is in the same boat, but I'm very stressed out about having to make this decision by end of week.

I don't know about OISE - so hopefully someone else who does can speak to that. Did they give you an idea of when you may hear back?

I'm stressing too. I understand the reasoning behind decision deadlines, but it's so hard to make a decision when you don't have all the information in front of you. Maybe if all the programs gave out all their choices at the same time with the same decision deadline, it would make sense...but then, that would be too easy I'm sure haha. 

Program 1 was my top choice when I was applying. It's a good fit for my research, interesting courses, professors and personal interests (or so it seems). My other acceptance (Program 2) has the benefit of great funding plus keeping my supervisor from my Master's degree. We already work extremely well together and accepting that offer would eliminate a lot of the stress surrounding finding / working with someone new (who may or may not be as fantastic). Program 3 has a really interesting program with a POI I'm interested in that has expressed interest in working with me. There's an open house, but that's after the decision deadlines of the other 2 programs. I'm envious of those who have everything together and know exactly where they want to go. I feel so indecisive about everything. 

Hi everyone, I sent an email to my POI to check the application status. Got reply saying he reviewed some applications last week but will only recruit 1 or 2 students due to funding limit, and suggests me to contact other professors to see if they are recruiting students for fall. Can someone tell me what that means, it implies I am rejected???   So anxious...

Hi! I'm not sure how it works for Engineering. Is your acceptance based mainly on your POI's interest in working with you? If so, I'd make sure to start looking for other professors asap. This isn't to say that you're rejected, but it seems like spots are limited and your POI is trying to find a way to make sure that if he / she doesn't have a spot for you, you still have options with other professors. Best of luck!

So I applied to the Department of Civil and Environmental Engg. at University of Alberta yesterday. Any idea how long they take to reveal the final result?

(This is the final application to the university. My preliminary application was accepted within 48 hours)

I don't know about OISE - so hopefully someone else who does can speak to that. Did they give you an idea of when you may hear back?

I'm stressing too. I understand the reasoning behind decision deadlines, but it's so hard to make a decision when you don't have all the information in front of you. Maybe if all the programs gave out all their choices at the same time with the same decision deadline, it would make sense...but then, that would be too easy I'm sure haha. 

Program 1 was my top choice when I was applying. It's a good fit for my research, interesting courses, professors and personal interests (or so it seems). My other acceptance (Program 2) has the benefit of great funding plus keeping my supervisor from my Master's degree. We already work extremely well together and accepting that offer would eliminate a lot of the stress surrounding finding / working with someone new (who may or may not be as fantastic). Program 3 has a really interesting program with a POI I'm interested in that has expressed interest in working with me. There's an open house, but that's after the decision deadlines of the other 2 programs. I'm envious of those who have everything together and know exactly where they want to go. I feel so indecisive about everything. 

I'm thinking about calling Diane at the York ComCult office and asking of we can get an extension on the March 6th deadline. Does anyone know what happens if we accept the program and then later on reject it in favour of another program in another university? I know if I accept my ComCult offer the SPT is automatically rejected considering they are both at York. But wondering if maybe I waited another week I'd hear from OISE.

Edited by hazelnut.latte

Scratch the above, I just contacted the Social Justice Education Program at OISE and they unofficially confirmed I was accepted through first round of offers!! I'm over the moon happy but I'm also more confused as to making a decision :)