Any Columbia MSW hopefuls?

socialworkette

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I called today and they said admissions decisions will continue to go out throughout this week, so to not panic if we haven't heard yet. Also, rejections are necessarily sent out last and we can call and ask on Friday if we still haven't heard, and they might be able to see if it just hasn't been sent out yet. Hopefully that helps some!

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-health-schools/social-work-rankings

^ michigan and washu tied for #1

yes, every list is different; i was trying to say that washu has just as sophisticated a program as columbia does. i am definitely not choosing a school based on rankings alone.

Thank you for taking your time to answer!

I have another question. I'm not sure what I want to specialize in just yet. Is it possible to change my specialization stream in social work in my second year? Is it tough to change it midway? Also, can I still practice clinical social work (ex. be a therapist) even if I don't specialize in clinical social work?

I would strongly advise against it as it will add time to your schooling. However, Columbia does have an AGPP which is a generalist practice that combines both clinical and all other concentrations. Chilly is right though, you need a certain amount of classes to take your LCSW, which I believe is possible through the AGPP program but with a lot of planning. Clinical specialization you get these classes automatically. You need your LCSW to be a therapist or you can work as a therapist as a LMSW while under supervision, it doesn't matter if you're specialized in clinical practice. The only thing that matters for LCSW are the courses you take. Also remember the LMSW licensure test is strongly clinical. 

You can refer to this link for the classes you need to take: http://socialwork.columbia.edu/sites/default/files/file_manager/pdfs/Student-Resources/LCSW_CourseRequirements.pdf 

@Jillchristine - Thanks for being willing to answer questions. How many students are in the classes? How do you feel about the advising/mentorship available to students in the program? What are the most exciting parts of the program for you? What are the top reasons people dislike the program? I just want to see if those are factors that would deter me. I've heard many students get frustrated b/c the program is so big that you to really push for yourself, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It's always good to be able to advocate for yourself! So, I guess reasons other than that one. And, could you explain the process for field placement in your first year? Sorry, so many questions!

Hi Rosesw! The classes differ a little, some classes are 25-40 students at most (mostly the required classes your first year), but the majority of your classes second year will be between 10-15 students. Also your practice (therapy) classes are typically smaller. It is a larger program so you do need to advocate for yourself frequently, but I think it's a good skill to learn so we can properly advocate for our clients. Advising staff are always available but you do need to seek them out, but they are always available as well as others that can help you. There's actually a set of three advisors you have while in Columbia, each one serves a separate purpose but it's nice in case you don't get along with one of them you can always seek out a different one. 

I think Columbia's great because people in the city you work for or meet really do hold you to a higher standard (not that I necessarily agree with that), but I think that pushes you to be the best you can and that's so important in graduate school. Also you really do learn from the best professors, many of them come to the school for the great research program and you have the opportunity to learn from those individuals which is an interesting opportunity in itself. There are great speakers coming to the school all the time and there are many student groups you can be a part of. You can have a say in the syllabi for classes (professors and students meet at the end of each semester to revise it) and each class uses the same or a very similar syllabus. 

Don't get me wrong-- the program is not perfect. And I think that's why most people don't like CUSSW, I think they come with these crazy expectations because of the school name and price tag and get disappointed very quickly. First year placements often suck (I had to change mine halfway through) as they take little consideration into what you want. Most of the placements I've heard are in schools or family, youth, and children. I'm convinced they just put you wherever first year which is dumb, but whatever. You have a better selection for second year and CUSSW has connections with some of the best placements in NYC. Another thing students have complained about is that professors are sometimes afraid of discussing sensitive topics such as racism. However, the school is always sending out surveys about how to change that so clearly they know its a problem and are working on it. 

Hope that helped a bit, let me know if I can be clearer about anything!

@jillchristine thanks for taking the time to answer all of our questions! How can I do a paid internship? Thanks!

If you're eligible for work study depending on your FAFSA, you will essentially have a "paid" internship. That'll be dependent on your financial status. Second year you'll have the opportunity to select stipend-based programs, they are few and far between but they are there :) You should know your financial package soon after receiving your acceptance, I think mine was within 2-3 weeks. Good luck! 

If you're eligible for work study depending on your FAFSA, you will essentially have a "paid" internship. That'll be dependent on your financial status. Second year you'll have the opportunity to select stipend-based programs, they are few and far between but they are there :) You should know your financial package soon after receiving your acceptance, I think mine was within 2-3 weeks. Good luck!

Thank you :)

I've reached out to several people at Columbia to get info on international clinical SW and no one will respond. I'm seriously leaning towards declining them. You'd think they'd help me...

I've reached out to several people at Columbia to get info on international clinical SW and no one will respond. I'm seriously leaning towards declining them. You'd think they'd help me...

Did you try emailing or calling? Try asking admissions and if they can't help you, they should get you someone. cssw-admit@columbia.edu or 212.851.2400

Have you emailed Richard Hara at rth7@columbia.edu. He'd be the person that would answer your questions, but I understand your frustration.. Sometimes it's like jumping through hoops to get an answer

Not sure if that question was directed at me but I can give you my answer, but it's definitely a personal decision, I think all NYC MSW schools have their pros and cons. The NYU location was way too stressful for me, I needed a more relaxing area and the Columbia area is pretty quiet. Also I knew I'd have to commute to NYU because the rent is too expensive and at Columbia I got housing so it's a 3 minute walk. I was also more impressed by the SSW building than NYU's. Columbia's department seemed more like it was integrated into the university as a whole, I'm not sure why haha it just did. I knew I wanted to practice outside of NYC eventually and the namesake will carry me further than Hunter or another state school. Coming from a psych program I was interested in CU's program because you had the option to specialize but there were all different kinds of other specializations that I thought I should be knowledgable in (even though I always knew I was clinical). There were a ton of reasons but I think every program in NYC is pretty great, have you visited yet? Visiting definitely made my decision clear :)

Hahah the field placements first year aren't as awful as they've been made out to be. They're all direct practice (meaning you'll have clients) and can be anywhere: school systems, legal offices, ACS offices, elder homes, daycares, etc. I know a lot of people that really like theirs even though they didn't expect to and other people (like me) who had to change to a better placement. Worst thing that happens is you'll learn what you don't want to do. Your 1st year placement is really no biggie, it's your second year thats a little more important. And you have more of a say in those. 

New to this post, but I applied to the Advanced Standing program and am still waiting. Columbia is my top choice, so I am checking my email and the application status constantly...It is tearing my nerves up! 

Been lurking this forum for a few weeks now and finally decided to make an account. I got accepted on Monday and today got information about housing. I'm currently filling out the fafsa (I waited because I wasn't expecting to be accepted) and just wondering if anyone could shed some light on housing through Columbia or in the city? I'm coming right from undergrad so I'm 21 though I'm not sure if that makes a difference on fafsa forms. Originally I was planning on commuting to save money from over an hour upstate but now I'm thinking that doesn't make too much sense. I'm going to one of the accepted students things this Tuesday and really hoping I'm able to make this all happen!

Congratulations to everyone who has already gotten in and best of luck to those still waiting!!

Hi all,

As you probably noticed, Sum_1 is no longer a part of the community. I have removed what posts I could, so no need to continue to report old posts. If he returns, please let me know.

Thanks.

P.S. Congrats on the acceptances! It's fun to watch this thread turn to a celebratory note. :)