PhD Bioengineering/BiomedicalEngineering Fall 2015-

disasterprone

For those who have not heard at all  from JHU and Northwestern - unfortunately, it is probably not a good news.  My guess is that, because number of PHD applicants is small, it is not always an automated system, like undergrad is. So rejections are not sent all at one batch, and some may fall trough the cracks..  I have just received  UCSD rejection. 

I called JHU last week and the lady there told me that since I hadn't heard anything that was a rejection. You can try calling yourself though. 

I assumed as much. Still think it's pretty crappy to not at least let me know. 

Hi,

I am joining this discussion quite late  :mellow:  

I am an international student interested in tissue engineering and cardiovascular biomechanics.

I am really confused at the moment as to whether I should go for a PhD or MS. I am hoping someone would help me out!

Accepted: UCSD(MS), UT-Austin (PhD), Duke (MS), CMU (MS) 

Rejected: Johns Hopkins(MS), Georgia Tech(PhD)

Hi,

I am joining this discussion quite late  :mellow:  

I am an international student interested in tissue engineering and cardiovascular biomechanics.

I am really confused at the moment as to whether I should go for a PhD or MS. I am hoping someone would help me out!

Accepted: UCSD(MS), UT-Austin (PhD), Duke (MS), CMU (MS) 

Rejected: Johns Hopkins(MS), Georgia Tech(PhD)

Congrats on the acceptances!! I think for international students it's always better to do PhD. MS is short and not worth it especially when you want to stay for jobs after graduation. PhD definitely gives you more chances to find good jobs/enjoy life here/get used to what you do. Besides experience, it buys you more time.

UT-Austin is great for your area (I'm a BME student too and I applied to UT austin-probably getting rejected haha)

Thanks TheChai. I am actually inclined towards UCSD. Heard that the Bioengineering department is excellent.

Oh if you choose SD I'd totally understand. Its great location too - super beautiful and nice weather. And you're right UCSD's bioE is good.

Rejected by University of Delaware Friday and U Penn Monday, UPenn I guess I am not surprised but U Delaware? They aren't even ranked as far as BME goes, maybe they are for Bioeng or something? I applied to them as a safer school (safer than the top ten BMEs) and now I've been rejected. What am I going to do now? If I don't get accepted to the two schools that interviewed me (Tufts and Rutgers) I may become physically and mentally ill. I haven't heard from two others as well but they're basically a rejection at this point, I would shit bricks if either said yes (JHU and UPitt). I know Tufts and Rutgers just started sending out acceptances recently and I can't stand waiting any longer.

Rejected by University of Delaware Friday and U Penn Monday, UPenn I guess I am not surprised but U Delaware? They aren't even ranked as far as BME goes, maybe they are for Bioeng or something? I applied to them as a safer school (safer than the top ten BMEs) and now I've been rejected. What am I going to do now? If I don't get accepted to the two schools that interviewed me (Tufts and Rutgers) I may become physically and mentally ill. I haven't heard from two others as well but they're basically a rejection at this point, I would shit bricks if either said yes (JHU and UPitt). I know Tufts and Rutgers just started sending out acceptances recently and I can't stand waiting any longer.

I really wish I could give you some help or insight but I really can't because I don't know much about those schools. But if you don't get into your desired grad school (which we all hope that doesn't happen :( ), taking a year off is really not that bad. It seems all the top applicants during my interview weekends worked in a couple months to a couple years after graduation. A lot also did Masters. I know a couple of people who did bad their first time applying, but after some additional experience and perhaps a Master's, they got into almost all their top choices! So please don't be too stressed and know that if you are motivated, things will work out! I bet you'll still do great things! :)

I'm upset that I didn't know about this forum/website sooner. I wish I could have been here earlier to share in everyone's experiences and offer support.

To those who were accepted, CONGRATULATIONS!! Well done. That is absolutely fantastic.

To those still waiting, I feel your pain. I feel I am slowly disintegrating into a ball of nothingness (maybe not that dramatic, but it is unnerving)

To those who suffered rejection, we were too good for those schools anyway. The world needs us somewhere else. May I suggest boxing classes. A fantastic way to vent anger and frustration. Also, I am more than willing to eat ice cream with you and watch a movie <--- let's make it as cliche as possible.

Anyone have any thoughts on UCI bioengineering program? I have been accepted to their PhD program with funding, but I am not sure if I should take that offer over doing an MS in top programs like UCSD and reapply for PhD. I'm really split in the decision :(

Anyone have any thoughts on UCI bioengineering program? I have been accepted to their PhD program with funding, but I am not sure if I should take that offer over doing an MS in top programs like UCSD and reapply for PhD. I'm really split in the decision :(

They are very strong in biomaterials and optics if you are in either of those areas. They seem to have some strong industry ties, if that's your thing. I'm actually headed out to visit this week, I'd be happy to give you the scoop when I get back. 

They are very strong in biomaterials and optics if you are in either of those areas. They seem to have some strong industry ties, if that's your thing. I'm actually headed out to visit this week, I'd be happy to give you the scoop when I get back. 

Yes, please, let me know what you think as I'd like to hear as many opinions as possible before making my decision. I do realize they are pretty strong in optics, but unfortunately it's not really my research interest although it would be cool to work on some collaborations involving optics. Also, are you a PhD or an MS candidate?

I think I'm in the same boat as you anonymous20. 

PhD at UT-Austin vs MS at either UCSD or Duke. Really confused.

I wasn't sure about doing a PhD while applying thus ended up applying only to 3 PhD programs and thus I feel I should go for a MS and reapply.

Honestly, how much does where I do a PhD from matter later on in life, if I want to get into industry? I guess it matters a lot for a career in academia. 

Yes, please, let me know what you think as I'd like to hear as many opinions as possible before making my decision. I do realize they are pretty strong in optics, but unfortunately it's not really my research interest although it would be cool to work on some collaborations involving optics. Also, are you a PhD or an MS candidate?

Ph.D. What are your interests? I will do some recon for you!

I wasn't sure about doing a PhD while applying thus ended up applying only to 3 PhD programs and thus I feel I should go for a MS and reapply.

Honestly, how much does where I do a PhD from matter later on in life, if I want to get into industry? I guess it matters a lot for a career in academia. 

I think that some schools might have more industry connections, and some are located in a more biotech-heavy area (bay area, for instance). And I think that going to a better-known uni might get you more recognition in the job market, opening up more doors and bringing you more opportunities. That's not to say that someone from a lower-ranked uni can't get work, because they certainly can; I just think you have more opportunities the more well-known a uni is. They're ranked highly for a reason. Each of those schools you're considering is pretty great, by the way!

Ph.D. What are your interests? I will do some recon for you!

Thanks! I'm interested in regenerative medicine.

It's a hard decision. I guess what your really weighing is whether the better name is worth the extra 1-2years + $$ for masters that you'd be spending. Of course, the other side is that the better name may give enough return on your investment in less tangible ways by giving you more recognition in the job market as braindump has pointed out.. Let me know when you come to your final decision haha. We'll both be struggling in the same boat.

For people accepted to Caltech (especially internationals), and accepted their offer, did anyone hear anything from them other than the ApplyWeb letter and web based decision form?

How does this process generally work after an offer is accepted?

Officially going to DARTMOUTH!   Chose a lower ranked school over a higher ranked school because the research is a much better fit!  Still haven't heard from 3 schools, but oh well, I'm off to Dartmouth!   Good luck everyone in your choices.

Thanks! I'm interested in regenerative medicine.

It's a hard decision. I guess what your really weighing is whether the better name is worth the extra 1-2years + $$ for masters that you'd be spending. Of course, the other side is that the better name may give enough return on your investment in less tangible ways by giving you more recognition in the job market as braindump has pointed out.. Let me know when you come to your final decision haha. We'll both be struggling in the same boat.

I think that some schools might have more industry connections, and some are located in a more biotech-heavy area (bay area, for instance). And I think that going to a better-known uni might get you more recognition in the job market, opening up more doors and bringing you more opportunities. That's not to say that someone from a lower-ranked uni can't get work, because they certainly can; I just think you have more opportunities the more well-known a uni is. They're ranked highly for a reason. Each of those schools you're considering is pretty great, by the way!

Thanks braindump and anonymous20 (I'll let you know regarding the choice I make, but yeah in case I do pick UCSD, hope to see you there. What are  your options?). 

Is spending on a MS really worth it? Or would I seem foolish rejecting a PhD for a MS at a better place? 

And are there opportunities to earn something while doing a MS? Like I did write to a couple of profs regarding RA, but they said they can't provide  any. Financial aid is my main concern.