Waiting to Exhale (the wait list thread)

I also got in to UCLA this morning! I can't believe it. The one school in LA that I applied to accepted me. I guess I'm meant to stay here a while longer, because I will gladly put up with LA for the next few years to attend!!

Michael-Cera-Is-Excited-Things-Are-Final

I guess you could say UCLA's motto this app season was...

*sunglasses*

...(jean-luc) gohard or go home.

*YEAAAAAAAHHHHHH*

Have the Austin people started contacting the waitlisters?

Not sure. If I were you, I'd contact Wayne Lesser and cc Amy Stewart. Amy's email is amy.d.stewart@austin.utexas.edu. CCing Amy was the only way I could get Professor Lesser to answer my emails. Not that he's not super nice and warm - I think he's just not great at email. 

I also got in to UCLA this morning! I can't believe it. The one school in LA that I applied to accepted me. I guess I'm meant to stay here a while longer, because I will gladly put up with LA for the next few years to attend!!

Michael-Cera-Is-Excited-Things-Are-Final

This morning, I was ACCEPTED TO UCLA! So excited! 

I had another very lovely offer, but this is amazing...UCLA's a top 10 school, I visited in March and loved it, the funding package is amazing, I'll get to work with Christopher Looby and Rachel Lee...

Last year, I was essentially shut out of programs (got into 2 unfunded things). I was rejected from UCLA. I took a gap year to move to Berkeley where I took classes and got a new rec letter, reworked all my materials, and began working as an editor.

If at first you don't succeed...KEEP APPLYING UNTIL THEY LOVE YOU 

Welcome to the jungle!  Congrats!

If you have any questions, talk to me.  Pm me.  

CONGRATULATIONS!! Excited to get to meet y'all in the fall!!

Yaay, can't wait to meet you both!! And congrats jean-luc, I'm glad there were spots for both of us!! :D

Yes, super excited to meet you guys!! Are you both relocating to LA? PM me if you want any general advice about the city, help moving/figuring out where to live, or need a lift from the airport, etc. I'm happy to help!

I guess you could say UCLA's motto this app season was...

*sunglasses*

...(jean-luc) gohard or go home.

*YEAAAAAAAHHHHHH*

George-Costanza-Point-Wink-On-Seinfeld.g

Since it looks like this thread is wrapping up and the season is finally over... I just wanted to say good luck to you all. Those of you who accepted offers, have a great time at all the fantastic schools. And those of you that will be applying again next year, best of luck -- you'll do great. Thanks to everyone for being around and giving info and support! 

giphy.gif

• 9 months later...
6 hours ago, morifol said:

I have a weird question. How does a wait list e-mail look like? What does it say? Does it have to say 'wait list' there somewhere?

I was called by the adcomm chair and told I was on the wait list. On another one, I was told that I received a spot in the incoming cohort but that there were financial issues to sort out; no 'wait list' there but then a follow up email (from another person in the department) did use the words 'wait list' so I was a bit confused. I had been corresponding with these folks in person for a while, though, so that may be why it was different.

I'd assume that any, more official email that comes in would have to use the words "wait list". No sense in being coy about it and causing worried grad students to bombard the grad admin with nervous emails.

• 2 weeks later...

Waitlisted at Mizzou, and echoing Little Earthquakes, this is also my first good news of the season. I'm not gonna lie -  I'd pretty much do anything to get in off this list, so if you're admitted and considering other offers, here is my token plea to please do whatever you can to notify them of your decision as soon as you can. I know that everyone has to do right by themselves, and I've seen a recent discussion about taking the time you need, and I wouldn't expect anything else. Take good care of yourselves. And wish me some good luck, for I am fully at the mercy of those with stronger apps.

On 2/8/2016 at 3:29 AM, morifol said:

I have a weird question. How does a wait list e-mail look like? What does it say? Does it have to say 'wait list' there somewhere?

It must depend on the school. Mine was very clear—it seemed like a form email bcc-ed to a number of applicants with an explanation of how the school only accepts as many spots as it can fund, so if someone declines the offer and we are pulled from the wait list, we will be guaranteed that same funding. I responded to the email with a thank you, expressed my enthusiasm for the school, and asked how many people were on the wait list. The departmental graduate administrator then sent me a personalized email about my standing, how the process works, and some idea of how many people have gotten off the wait list in past years. He also said that I should feel free to ask more questions or check in, and that he would inform me as soon as he knew of any movement on the list. He told me twice that I am "very high" on the list and this order rarely changes, which hopefully means I am #1 or 2 and have a good chance of being accepted (it is a top choice!). I have heard that larger programs rank people on the wait list by field/area of study, but that is not the case for this department. It is a great program with only 4-5 spots, so I won't count any chickens.

On 2/16/2016 at 11:11 AM, Little Earthquakes said:

I got waitlisted at the CUNY Graduate Center, and I am freaking out. I was expecting an out right rejection, and this is my first good news of the season. Has anyone had luck getting into CUNY off of the wait list, specifically? 

I'm on the same list! Congratulations. This complicates my decision a bit because I was fully expecting to get rejected from every other program after I was accepted at UC-Davis earlier this month. I didn't exactly apply widely.

Anyway, are you, fellow Californian, going to fly over for visiting day?

40 minutes ago, lesabendio said:

I'm on the same list! Congratulations. This complicates my decision a bit because I was fully expecting to get rejected from every other program after I was accepted at UC-Davis earlier this month. I didn't exactly apply widely.

Anyway, are you, fellow Californian, going to fly over for visiting day?

Congrats on the Davis offer! That's such a fantastic program! I applied to programs on the west coast, east coast, and in the midwest. After getting two rejections in January, I've really been expecting myself to get shut out this season, so making the waitlist at CUNY was such an ego boost. Are you still waiting on more decisions? Good luck with making your choices!

I would love to fly over for the open house, but I don't feel financially comfortable to do so at this present time. It would be a fantastic opportunity, but my credit card/bank account are still recovering from my applications, and there's still the possibility that I will end up having to reapply for next year after all. I'm going to hold off on making a final decision for now re: the open house. I'm hoping that I get a few more decisions in from my remaining programs in the next couple of weeks first. And in a perfect world, people could start getting admitted to CUNY off the waitlist, but that's just wishful thinking. Are you planning on attending the open house yourself??

14 minutes ago, Little Earthquakes said:

Congrats on the Davis offer! That's such a fantastic program! I applied to programs on the west coast, east coast, and in the midwest. After getting two rejections in January, I've really been expecting myself to get shut out this season, so making the waitlist at CUNY was such an ego boost. Are you still waiting on more decisions? Good luck with making your choices!

I would love to fly over for the open house, but I don't feel financially comfortable to do so at this present time. It would be a fantastic opportunity, but my credit card/bank account are still recovering from my applications, and there's still the possibility that I will end up having to reapply for next year after all. I'm going to hold off on making a final decision for now re: the open house. I'm hoping that I get a few more decisions in from my remaining programs in the next couple of weeks first. And in a perfect world, people could start getting admitted to CUNY off the waitlist, but that's just wishful thinking. Are you planning on attending the open house yourself??

Thank you! I would have been extremely happy if Davis ended up my only option. Technically I'm still waiting on Michigan to get back to me, but considering all the acceptances and waitlists already up on the board, Michigan is probably a rejection. 

So, I have one and a half choices. Between the two -- Davis and CUNY -- Davis has the edge, but only because I'm more familiar with the UC system, the campus, the state, etc. I have a close friend already at the university, and I have family in the Bay Area. Overall, it would be an easier transition back into academic life after 6 years off. CUNY is more mysterious to me and higher ranked (if that's as significant as people say it is), but that's all the more reason to visit and ask questions. So, yes! I'm planning on attending if only to have a basis for comparison for when I go visit Davis later in March. 

I hope you do decide to go, but I totally understand. I'm already dreading the moving cost to Davis -- let alone to NYC. Good luck though! I hope you find out about more programs sooner rather than later.

@lesabendio

I'm actually still waiting on an official decision from Davis myself. I feel that Davis/CUNY were my biggest "reach" schools, so the CUNY waitlist was a huge surprise. The faculty/resources at both programs is really stellar, so it's really great you'll be visiting both before it's time to make decisions! 

I really wanted to stay on the west coast when I first started this process, but I'm way more open to the possibility of going further away from home now that I've completely researched programs. I will keep in touch and PM you when I make my decision about the full house. Like you, while I'm open to the possibility of moving, I'm NOT looking forward to going through with it lol. It sounds like we're both possibly from SoCal? 

50 minutes ago, HumanCylinder said:

Congratulations on being waitlisted at some really fantastic programs, @Little Earthquakes, @EmmaJava, @lesabendio! Wishing my best that each will be converted.

Thank you! 15 programs? You're gonna see your fair share as well. Congrats on Texas A&M!

Edited by lesabendio