Waiting to Exhale (the wait list thread)

When I got off the waitlist for Georgetown during my master's applications it was May 31 with a deadline of June 7th to let them know yes or no. I think they imagine that if you do accept that late, you'll have to renege on the school you've accepted. 

I think it would make more sense if acceptances for people with no waitlists had a deadline of April 1, which would give 2 weeks for everything to filter down before the waitlisters had to commit by the 15th. 

One school which accepted me sort-of employed this idea. Their TA offer, which I could accept by April 15th, had a very low stipend. They supplemented the stipend with a scholarship, which had a deadline of April 1st. Obviously I couldn't entertain the idea of a TAship without the scholarship, so I had to decline the offer...um, five minutes ago. 

Still, I wouldn't encourage anyone to make a five-year decision lightly. I may want people to decline so that one university can finally, finally get back to me...but a person has to take care of him-or-herself first. Take your time.

I know some schools had their visiting weekends last weekend---maybe that's why? do we know of any others yet to happen? At that point maybe people can make up their minds.... My husband is trying to look for a teaching job in 3 different areas of the country at once because we don't know where we're going to be. :/

OSU's visit day is tomorrow, so folks might see some movement in the next few days or so.

I've heard of movement after April 15 (which you can see on the results board from years back), though the latest I've seen/heard of is April 21. From my understanding, this is pretty much the reasoning behind the "loophole" that allows you to retract an acceptance with written consent from the program. Theoretically an acceotance would need to be really fantastic to motivate one to go through the trouble.

Unfortunately, I've had the pleasure of having an offer retracted for not committing by a pre-April 15 deadline. I can't tell which is crummier, that or the feeling of leaving a funded offer on the hook while I wait to hear from other programs. Basically, it seems like its tough no matter what end of it you're on.

Edited by InHacSpeVivo

I've been told, in so many words, that cohorts often aren't finalized until the end of April.  It does seem like, once the visits are over, things start to shift, but then the first round of people notified off the waitlist need a minute to process, too.  Since some waitlists are apparently 4 people deep or more, it's understandable that it might take a while.  It might be that this is the worst form of managing admissions "except for all the others."  At least, under this system, everyone is treated equally, and all schools play by the same rules.  It does seem like they could move the whole thing up a couple of weeks to make the aftermath (planning moves, etc.) a smidge easier, but the logistics of this stuff, on their end, must be crazy.

If I were sitting on admissions but waitlisted for a program I preferred, I'd certainly hold on until the deadline.  No hard feelings from this waitlisted person.   B)

I've heard of movement after April 15 (which you can see on the results board from years back), though the latest I've seen/heard of is April 21. From my understanding, this is pretty much the reasoning behind the "loophole" that allows you to retract an acceptance with written consent from the program. Theoretically an acceotance would need to be really fantastic to motivate one to go through the trouble.

Unfortunately, I've had the pleasure of having an offer retracted for not committing by a pre-April 15 deadline. I can't tell which is crummier, that or the feeling of leaving a funded offer on the hook while I wait to hear from other programs. Basically, it seems like its tough no matter what end of it you're on.

I took myself off the Maryland wait list. I hope this helps you!

I took myself off the Maryland wait list. I hope this helps you!

Thanks much; I'm more pop culture/adaptation/gender, but I'm sure you'll help someone. :) Fortunately for me, Maryland and Penn State have been really upfront about the fact I'm not likely to come off the waitlist (basically being on the WL at these programs, even far down, is more a reassurance my application isn't total crap than anything). My hold-up is funding info at MSU, which historically doesn't come in until the 11th hour, but us honestly starting to make me a little nuts.

For those of you WLers who haven't contacted programs, I would highly recommend it. I sent a very simple email asking about movement on the list and two schools offered to call those accepted who hadn't commited if I were close to accepting an offer elsewhere. Another program thanked me for expressing my continued interest, which they said was very helpful if a spot opens up.

Thanks for the advice InHac! I haven't contacted my wl place since the very beginning of this month and I've been in two minds about whether to contact them again, I don't want to be pushy but it would also be fantastic to know whether I should still even play with the thought of them being a possibility...

I've been told, in so many words, that cohorts often aren't finalized until the end of April.  It does seem like, once the visits are over, things start to shift, but then the first round of people notified off the waitlist need a minute to process, too. 

Do we get a minute to process, though? I assumed that if I heard that I got in the morning of April 15th, I had to respond by that afternoon or risk losing the spot.

I agree that waiting sucks, but I definitely understand people taking their time to decide. These are really big decisions, especially if you're considering a cross-country move or moving with a partner, so take all the time you need. I guess the upside of being waitlisted is that all my decisions are out of my hands for the time being!

when one of my mentors was going through this process about 12 years ago he said he received a call the morning of April 15th and they told him they could hold the spot for 3 hours----so sometimes it really can come down to that.

Essentially---operate now as if all of your waitlists are acceptances and pick between all of your acceptances, because you may not have time once the trigger is pulled.

Edited by goldfinch1880

Hi all! So I'm a huge lurker on this forum, but I have finally worked up the courage to post a question to all you brilliant literary scholars. My question is this: In my current master's program, it is common practice for the department to extend about 25 first-round offers for about 15 funded spots. They do this expecting ten of the 25 accepted applicants to turn down their offers, and this seems to always work out my program. What it means for waitlisters, though, is that 10 people have to reject their offers before anyone gets in off the wait list.

So I'm wondering, does anyone know if PhD programs also tend to make more initial offers than they will actually be able to fund? I'm thinking specifically about really small programs top 20 programs...that only accept a couple of people per year... Not thinking about any program in particular lol JK. Anyway, do y'all think programs like that would extend more offers than they have funded spots, or do you think they'd go straight to the wait list after someone turns them down?

Thanks soooo much if anyone has info or thoughts on this!!!!

It depends on the program.  If I were you, I'd email and ask how the waitlist works at any program where you are waitlisted.  Lots of programs only accept the number of people they have spots for so that as soon as an accepted person declines they go to the waitlist.  There are, however, some programs that do operate the way your MA program does, so definitely ask!

Do we get a minute to process, though? I assumed that if I heard that I got in the morning of April 15th, I had to respond by that afternoon or risk losing the spot.

I agree that waiting sucks, but I definitely understand people taking their time to decide. These are really big decisions, especially if you're considering a cross-country move or moving with a partner, so take all the time you need. I guess the upside of being waitlisted is that all my decisions are out of my hands for the time being!

In terms of time to process, I was mostly thinking about shifts that happen before 4/15. For example, if I was accepted from one waitlist tomorrow, I might still wait on the other before finally deciding.  It might be that different programs have varying ways of dealing with this.  I have had a DGS say that their program sees movement into late April, but it's good to know that that is not the norm.  Memo to self: charge phone 4/15.

Thanks for the advice, Lyonessrampant! I did ask the program for some info on the wait list pretty recently, and the response I got sort of made it sound like they didn't make offers until funding was available--but I couldn't tell if that was an across-the-board policy or if they just meant they didn't make offers to waitlisters until funding was available. So I'm going crazy overanalyzing the email now.... Haha guess I'll ask them my question more directly if I don't hear anything fairly soon, though. Thank you again!!!

So I'm wondering, does anyone know if PhD programs also tend to make more initial offers than they will actually be able to fund? I'm thinking specifically about really small programs top 20 programs...that only accept a couple of people per year... Not thinking about any program in particular lol JK. Anyway, do y'all think programs like that would extend more offers than they have funded spots, or do you think they'd go straight to the wait list after someone turns them down?

Hi janaca! Welcome to the Forum. From my imperfect knowledge, I reckon that the kind of programmes you're talking about do not usually over-offer, i.e. they only make offers for the exact number of places they have and being first on the WL means you're the first person they call if one of the original offers is turned down. This has been the case in my own personal experience, though I'm sure there are some variations.

An additional quick question: have you all been in contact with the DGSes or the head of the adcomm (or both) at your wait list schools?

An additional quick question: have you all been in contact with the DGSes or the head of the adcomm (or both) at your wait list schools?

Short answer for me is no. I've talked to the department grad coordinator per instructions regarding admissions set by the department. I will probably email the person again within a few days to check again for movement. For me it's ok not to get off the waitlist; I just want to make a decision after all results are in, that is all. :)

Yes, I have communicated with all DGSes, typically twice (once to confirm that I would acceot a spot on thewait list and once three weeks to a month later to let them know I was still interested).

Thanks for responses, folks!

I just want to make a decision after all results are in, that is all. :)

I think I've reached this point too!

Yes, I have communicated with all DGSes, typically twice (once to confirm that I would acceot a spot on thewait list and once three weeks to a month later to let them know I was still interested).

I'm wondering specifically about contacting DGS vs. head of adcomm. Did you only speak to the former, not the latter at all the schools? I've only spoken to head of adcomm, not DGS... erggg I hope that hasn't been interpreted as lack of interest in the program.

1Q84: I've only talked to DGSes in my case, but I haven't known who the adcomm head has been at any of the schools where I applied (though I expect their one in the same in a few places). If you haven't talked to the DGS anywhere you are WLed I don't think there is any harm in sending a short email expressing your continued interest.

I'm wondering specifically about contacting DGS vs. head of adcomm. Did you only speak to the former, not the latter at all the schools? I've only spoken to head of adcomm, not DGS... erggg I hope that hasn't been interpreted as lack of interest in the program.

I can't imagine it has. I think InHacSpe is right and that there are many overlaps between the two positions. My 'contact' at my WL school is the DGS but that's because I've had all my communication about my application from him -and like InHac I have no clue who the head of the adcomm is.

For me it's ok not to get off the waitlist; I just want to make a decision after all results are in, that is all. :)

Hear hear, all I want now is a definite yay or nay.