Decisions 2015

ashiepoo72

I would write to your POI, thanking them for their kindness and help throughout the process, but that you've decided on the other program because it's a better fit for your long-term research goals. Since they've been so great to you, I think it's appropriate to send them a nice personal email. Make sure and send another note to the DGS that you're declining the offer and if there is anything else you need to do. Id let them know what program you selected.

I have nothing but good things to say about the department, my POI and the grad students at UCSB. They're a fantastic bunch, and a lot of interesting work is getting done there. Anyone interested in interdisciplinarity (which I totally am) should definitely check them out--they don't just say they encourage it, they act on it. One of the 4 comp fields is pretty much required to be outside the department.

I'm going to have lots of tough decisions to make! I'm at MSU now and absolutely loving it (snow and all!)

If anyone ever wants more information about these departments, shoot me a PM.

RE: UCSB: I think I just missed you, since my application was transferred to EALCS and the department had its visitation day on the 26th. I got the opportunity to speak to some faculty in the History dept., and everyone was so welcoming, I felt like crying. (It doesn't hurt that UCSB has such a beautiful campus -- even though I'm entirely unused to stucco, palm trees, and perma-spring!)

Hi. Finally joining the party. Anyone accepted to/considering Cornell? I'm still waiting on a couple more places, but I got a really phenomenal from Cornell, but am a couple weeks out still from getting to visit it.

Hi. Finally joining the party. Anyone accepted to/considering Cornell? I'm still waiting on a couple more places, but I got a really phenomenal from Cornell, but am a couple weeks out still from getting to visit it.

Sent you a PM! Also considering Cornell.

Well, guys, I have officially accepted NYU.  I'm relieved, excited, and terrified all at the same time.

congratulations!!!! 

Wullbluomen -- bummer we missed each other! I'm glad to hear you had a good visit :) yeah, the sunshine, beach and mountains are such a chore to look at in Santa Barbara ;)

Congrats Chiqui! I hope you're more excited than terrified :) now you get to start planning for your move!

Welcome to New York, Chiqui!  Let me know if you have any questions about moving to the city.  I am not a native New Yorker, but I am afraid NYC has spoiled me. It's like no place on earth.  

What is the point in holding on?

Just two cents of IMO/YMMV.

An advantage of holding offers in hand is the experience of being "in demand." In the coming months, years, decades, you all are going to be told "No" more frequently (and often brutally) than you're told "Yes." While being told "no" is how the craft is taught/learned, it is important to know how "yes" feels so that one doesn't make rash decisions down the line because of the relative novelty of the experience.

Just two cents of IMO/YMMV.

An advantage of holding offers in hand is the experience of being "in demand." In the coming months, years, decades, you all are going to be told "No" more frequently (and often brutally) than you're told "Yes." While being told "no" is how the craft is taught/learned, it is important to know how "yes" feels so that one doesn't make rash decisions down the line because of the relative novelty of the experience.

But if you have offers, you are already in demand, holding on to them or declining them is not going to change that.  I don't see how holding on to an offer you KNOW you are not going to accept changes anything.

I'm worried about that too Chiqui.  I'm not looking forward to it, but it is the right thing to do. 

His reply was much worse in my mind!  In reality, he was quite nice.

Hi,

I haven't seen a lot posted on this school here, so I thought I would throw it out for comment: Does anyone know about the prestige of UC Santa Cruz's History program, and how it might be seen to future hiring committees? It is part of the UC system, which I think is always a plus, but I know it doesn't rank anywhere near Berkeley or even UCLA. But If I want to teach at the state college level, is this a good program for that? They have offered me a great funding package, which is making me lean their way....

Thanks!

It depends on the field. East Asianists trained at UCSC tend to do really well because Hershatter and Honig are amazing scholars. In general history, it's a mid-tier program.

The program should post placement rates somewhere. That's, in my opinion, the best way to gauge how many students get jobs, what kinds of jobs they're getting and at what types of institutions. If they're not posting placement rates, question why, and ask your POI, the DGS or other grad students there what placement has looked like.

Outside the top 20 or so, they're probably not going to be fantastic, and UCSC isn't in the top 20.

This point has been made before that for purposes of tenure track jobs with a focus on teaching, the maxim that the top 15% is of utmost importance is not as important.  Additionally, I think you can also do a lot to make yourself a desirable candidate including prolific publishing, teaching experience, excellent letters of recommendation etc. 

The "prestige factor," as telkanuru pointed out in another thread, is within the top 30 programs. UCSC is not in the top 30, but for East Asian history it is a well regarded program (more so than many of those in the top 30. I know this because it was my undergrad institution, and people go there specifically because it is considered "prestigious" in that subfield). The ranking system is imperfect--you need to look into subfield strength, overall rank and placement rates.

As I've said elsewhere on this board, you need to know your subfield to be able to pick strong programs to best set you up for a career in the field. Yes, rank plays a factor but it's often much more complicated.

And as an example--people KNOW what programs are good in what subfields, even if it's outside their own. The chair of my department (modern US, urban and women's history) was well versed in the stronger East Asian programs when we started a job search for an East Asianist. And yes, Santa Cruz came up as a prime program.

I don't see how holding on to an offer you KNOW you are not going to accept changes anything.

Confidence is a fleeting companion in graduate school. My suggestion is about getting the most out of moments when you have choices--feeling empowered, relaxed, unhurried, and inwardly directed to the point of being selfish in one's thoughts.

The other side of this coin is not when one is waiting to hear yes or no from programs, but rather when one is in the stacks preparing for qualifying exams and later, when one standing/sitting in a hallway as your committee decides if you did or did not pass those exams.

The program should post placement rates somewhere. That's, in my opinion, the best way to gauge how many students get jobs, what kinds of jobs they're getting and at what types of institutions. If they're not posting placement rates, question why, and ask your POI, the DGS or other grad students there what placement has looked like.

Outside the top 20 or so, they're probably not going to be fantastic, and UCSC isn't in the top 20.

This point has been made before that for purposes of tenure track jobs with a focus on teaching, the maxim that the top 15% is of utmost importance is not as important.  Additionally, I think you can also do a lot to make yourself a desirable candidate including prolific publishing, teaching experience, excellent letters of recommendation etc. 

The "prestige factor," as telkanuru pointed out in another thread, is within the top 30 programs. UCSC is not in the top 30, but for East Asian history it is a well regarded program (more so than many of those in the top 30. I know this because it was my undergrad institution, and people go there specifically because it is considered "prestigious" in that subfield). The ranking system is imperfect--you need to look into subfield strength, overall rank and placement rates.

As I've said elsewhere on this board, you need to know your subfield to be able to pick strong programs to best set you up for a career in the field. Yes, rank plays a factor but it's often much more complicated.

And as an example--people KNOW what programs are good in what subfields, even if it's outside their own. The chair of my department (modern US, urban and women's history) was well versed in the stronger East Asian programs when we started a job search for an East Asianist. And yes, Santa Cruz came up as a prime program.

Thank you for the responses! I focus on American Religious History, which I don't think Santa Cruz is known for, but the enthusiasm of my potential adviser(s) and the financial package have both been exceptional. Plus, I already live in the Central Coast and LOVE the Santa Cruz area, so the move would not be a difficult one. Its a stressful decision, though, and I would have to play my cards just right if I took it, as Heimat Historian said, through publishing and great LORs coming out of there.

I'm actually still waiting on a couple programs -- the only two religion programs to which I applied -- but it's looking more and more like I'm going to decline whatever offers I may have and reapply next year. My wife got an offer for a promotion and would like to stay where we are for another year. Plus, I'll actually have my MA degree in hand next application season, a better writing sample, better grades, and a better plan of attack. An unplanned gap year will be uncomfortable and undesirable; however, it very well could be what's best for me in the long run.

I know this page is for those who are deciding between different schools. I'm deciding between accepting any offer or taking a gap year. It's not what I expected to be doing at all. Kudos to everyone who will be attending a program next year. Best of luck, and I look forward to reading your future published work.