UCSD 2015

SocInTheCity

^^ I set up the acms account thing, but it states that my email is a gmail. I even phoned the tech desk and they said that my gmail account won't be up for a while. UCSD is really weird with their email system.

I set it up from ACMS page, it told me my password would work in 15 minutes. I can now log into my account using gmail (with @ucsd.edu at the end). I even had some nice spam about student elections.

I set it up from ACMS page, it told me my password would work in 15 minutes. I can now log into my account using gmail (with @ucsd.edu at the end). I even had some nice spam about student elections.

MathCat, your a life saver! My gmail wasn't accepting my password when I first set it up, but it works now, yay!

For those of you who've applied for housing, did you receive any notification that your deposit was received?

Uhh was this with SHORE? I'm just on the regular waitlist and have heard nothing about a deposit...did you get housing already?

I got SHORE, and I had to fill out a decision/information form once they offered me the spot (this was awhile after hearing I was nominated - I got an email telling me to fill out the decision form on GradApply). The steps they outlined were 1) Accept the SHORE offer, 2) File a housing application, 3) Send $100 deposit within 10 days. If you've gotten on the regular waitlist and then accept SHORE that should be fine too, I think. They're not very communicative so I'm not sure if I've done this right.

To be clear, I've not received a housing offer yet. I have no idea when I'll hear about when I can move in, or where I'll be placed. It'd be nice to know so I can plan, but it's definitely not until end of August/start of September (what I requested), so we'll see.

Edited by MathCat

For those of you who've applied for housing, did you receive any notification that your deposit was received?

Call ARCH, they are really helpful. I've called them 5 times already, lol.

Anyone else having problems with the iPortal? I'm trying to check the status of my I-20 request but when I log in (using Firefox or IE) all I see is the little red message telling you to use IE while they work on technical difficulties. It's been like this since Friday.

I can now confirm that there is no notification about the deposit. I sent mine in weeks ago and I have heard nothing. So I don't think you have anything to worry about. Also, a million thanks for the advice about the email account. Mine is now up and running.

Edited by twentysix

I can now confirm that there is no notification about the deposit. I sent mine in weeks ago and I have heard nothing. So I don't think you have anything to worry about. Also, a million thanks for the advice about the email account. Mine is now up and running.

hmm.. for SHORE right? I sent mine in a couple weeks ago, and got an email confirming it was received. You might want to check in.

hmm.. for SHORE right? I sent mine in a couple weeks ago, and got an email confirming it was received. You might want to check in.

You got an email about the check you mailed in an envelope?

Where did the email go to? Your ucsd.edu email or the one you used on your app?

Edited by twentysix

You got an email about the check you mailed in an envelope?

Where did the email go to? Your ucsd.edu email or the one you used on your app?

Yes, to my email I provided on the application.

Yes, to my email I provided on the application.

Interesting. I sent in my check close to a month ago and I haven't gotten an email yet. I'll have to inquire.

Hi guys! Sorry to ask what is SHORE?

And, I just applied for ARCH but there's nothing saying that I have to deposit $100. Do I need to do it and how do I do it?

Hi guys! Sorry to ask what is SHORE?

And, I just applied for ARCH but there's nothing saying that I have to deposit $100. Do I need to do it and how do I do it?

SHORE is guaranteed housing through one's department. The deposit has to do with SHORE. I'm fairly certain the window to get SHORE has now passed.

Student Housing Opportunity for Recruitment Enhancement program, it was something gained through negotiation.

Edited by twentysix

Congratulations on your offer of admission to graduate study at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD). We hope you will choose to enroll here.

We are pleased to announce, as an outstanding incoming graduate student with a strong nomination by your department, you have been selected for the Graduate Division Student Housing Opportunity for Recruitment Enhancement Program (SHORE). This program guarantees you on-campus housing atMesa Residential Apartments (Mesa), One Miramar Street (OMS) Rita Atkinson Residences (RAR),or Single Graduate Apartments (SGA) for Fall 2015, continuing through normative time to degree plus one year. Note: On-campus housing is for current UC graduate students only.

You can move in as a single student, a committed or married couple, or a family. The rent for a:

• Single Student: approximately $468.00-606.00 per month. You would be sharing a two-bedroom apartment with one roommate at Mesa, OMS or Rita.. You would be sharing a four-bedroom apartment with three roomates at SGA.
  • Students with Couple or Family Status: approximately $990.00-1212.00 per month. You and your spouse/partner qualify for a two-bedroom apartment at Mesa, OMS or Rita.

An equivalent off-campus arrangement may cost as much as twice these amounts! There are a limited number of housing slots available through this program. The number of students who desire on-campus housing far exceeds the number of units available, which makes SHORE a valuable offer.

Please visit our SHORE website at SHORE Housing and read the information thoroughly before deciding to accept or decline the housing program. The website explains the program and addresses the most frequently asked questions.

If you wish to accept the SHORE offer, you must complete the following steps within seven (7) days of receipt of this offer:

1. Logon to your GradApply account and complete the online SHORE Decision/Information Form
  2. Submit a housing application at http://hds.ucsd.edu/arch/gradhousing.html.
  3. Send a $100 deposit to the address below within ten (10) days of your submission of the "Decision/Information Form." Deposits should be sent as a check or money order in US funds and should be made out to "UC Regents"

Yeah, SHORE is a special housing program, but you have to be nominated by your department. It's intended as a way for them to entice a few of their applicants (there are not that many spots available for each department).

Thanks guys! I didn't get them but I hope I'll get the on-campus housing.

By the way, you guys thought about Rita Atkinson is only for med students. I talked to my friend who's doing Engineering PhD. He stayed at there before, so it's not only for med students. :)

Thanks guys! I didn't get them but I hope I'll get the on-campus housing.

By the way, you guys thought about Rita Atkinson is only for med students. I talked to my friend who's doing Engineering PhD. He stayed at there before, so it's not only for med students. :)

Yes, the grad housing is not program specific.

Have you guys enrolled in courses yet? I am not sure if we need a certain number of credits or courses to be full-time. Is it 12 you think? Also, I haven't heard anything about graduate housing, do you think it is impossible to get it before September?

Have you guys enrolled in courses yet? I am not sure if we need a certain number of credits or courses to be full-time. Is it 12 you think? Also, I haven't heard anything about graduate housing, do you think it is impossible to get it before September?

Full time is 3 courses.