UCSD 2015

SocInTheCity

• 1 month later...

I thought Rita-Atkinson is only for Pharmacy and Med students?

I was never made aware of this while talking to UCSD housing and I have already submitted housing applications.

That will suck if it turns out to be true.

Edited by twentysix

I was never made aware of this while talking to UCSD housing and I have already submitted housing applications.

I think you can edit your application if you like. I did hear when I interviewed that Rita tended to have less of a community, lots of international students staying there for short stints. The few grad students I met who lived there had like 2-3 roommates in the span of a year! 

Like 90% sure I'm going to UCSD, woop woop! Anyone else applying for graduate housing? I was thinking of putting Coast down as a pipe dream

I heard Coast has a 2 year waiting list! But I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Yeah the webpage lists Coast as a 2 year waiting list. So either apply for 2 years from now, or just accept that you won't get into Coast.

Yeah, I decided not to put it down. Though the students did tell me that if you put August as your move in date you move up the waitlist since most people will put September down. 

I have a friend in my program (Materials Science - ie, not Pharmacy or Med) and she lives in the Rita apartments.

I think you can edit your application if you like. I did hear when I interviewed that Rita tended to have less of a community, lots of international students staying there for short stints. The few grad students I met who lived there had like 2-3 roommates in the span of a year! 

I think the issue is we have different application needs. I am applying with a non-student partner and we will consume the entire apartment, there will not be any roommates. I don't care about the community in the building so much as I care about being able to walk to class. My department even awarded me priority housing (for a 2br) as part of my negotiation.

I'm looking at a ridiculous commute at UCLA, so being on campus at UCSD could be a big selling point for me. Ofc depending on how the open houses go at both schools.

Edited by twentysix

I think the issue is we have different application needs. I am applying with a non-student partner and we will consume the entire apartment, there will not be any roommates. I don't care about the community in the building so much as I care about being able to walk to class. My department even awarded me priority housing (for a 2br) as part of my negotiation.

I'm looking at a ridiculous commute at UCLA, so being on campus at UCSD could be a big selling point for me. Ofc depending on how the open houses go at both schools.

Yeah I'm applying with a partner as well. Decided against Rita since the units are furnished (I already live in California and don't want to sell all my furniture). Best of luck! I'm deciding between UCLA and UCSD as well, it's a tough choice. 

Yeah I'm applying with a partner as well. Decided against Rita since the units are furnished (I already live in California and don't want to sell all my furniture). Best of luck! I'm deciding between UCLA and UCSD as well, it's a tough choice. 

Yeah its like a 2,000 mile drive for me and I will only be living there for sure for 4 quarters, 7 quarters tops. Furnished is better for me... and at the university I am at currently the furnished units can have furniture removed upon request, hopefully UCSD is the same way.

Accepted at UCSD as well! So excited to start in the fall. Does anyone know what happens if you don't get housing by your move in date? I put down August 1st as my date, I assume if they don't get you a place by then, your name just stays on the wait list? 

edit: nevermind, it looks like you just stay on the list 

Edited by nutellarain

Hey guys!! I accepted my offer at UCSD last week!!! I am so excited!!! :D I am kinda worried about housing. I applied for graduate housing, but in the huge chance that I do not get it before the start of the term, are you guys looking at housing elsewhere? 

Hey guys!! I accepted my offer at UCSD last week!!! I am so excited!!! :D I am kinda worried about housing. I applied for graduate housing, but in the huge chance that I do not get it before the start of the term, are you guys looking at housing elsewhere? 

I'm worried about that as well...my current plan is to move down a bit early and stay in a cheap airbnb (or maybe look for a summer sublet?) while I check out all the neighborhoods and search for housing. After hearing what a nightmare parking is, I really want to commute by bike or public transit. 

Also, congrats!!  :D

Edited by nutellarain

Hi guys! I just accepted my offer in MS Mechanical Engineering a few minutes ago. So excited! I'm from Thailand and this will be my first time in the US! I'm applying for the graduate housing, too. But I don't know anything about it yet.

I can't drive very well. Is it possible to rely only on public transportation or maybe a bike?

Hi guys! I just accepted my offer in MS Mechanical Engineering a few minutes ago. So excited! I'm from Thailand and this will be my first time in the US! I'm applying for the graduate housing, too. But I don't know anything about it yet.

I can't drive very well. Is it possible to rely only on public transportation or maybe a bike?

If you live in graduate housing you can rely exclusively on a bike.

There are buses (shuttles) in the area too.

Congrats everyone! For all you CA residents, make sure to check your UCSD email. My statement of legal residence info was sent to that account (they ask for a lot of documents). I just randomly decided to look at the email account and found it, now I have just 1 week to mail them a bunch of docs. 

Congrats everyone! For all you CA residents, make sure to check your UCSD email. My statement of legal residence info was sent to that account (they ask for a lot of documents). I just randomly decided to look at the email account and found it, now I have just 1 week to mail them a bunch of docs. 

How do you access UCSD email/know what your account/pw is?

How do you access UCSD email/know what your account/ pw is?

On the gradapply website where you applied/accepted your offer it has a link to "set up password for UCSD PID", once you do this you can access email using your PID as username through Tritionlink. I already had a bunch of emails about grad events when I logged on.