2015 Rejections

Just to add a funny rejection story, my usc rejection arrived in an email with the subject line "USC Fall 2015 Admission" and I was driving when I received it, so I just barely glanced down and saw it. Needless to say I immediately became so excited and cocky because i thought for sure i was accepted! I started imagining funding packages and weighing two offers against each other....

When I got home and read the email I realized that it said I was rejected, and further the grad Secretary had simply responded to an email I sent her a couple days earlier, so the subject line situation was my own fault! I totallY set myself up on that one....

Ouch! 

Similarly, every time I log in to view my UC Santa Cruz admissions status, my heart leaps into my throat as I skim "UC Santa Cruz has received your application for admission!" It's the exclamation point that really sends me. You'd think by now I would have that part memorized and not be continuously fooled into thinking the sentence was good news. 

Ditto on the implied rejections. When I applied first time a couple of years ago all my programmes had really late rejection times and though I saw other people getting accepted I stupidly allowed myself to hope after the initial bout of hopelessness. I'm trying to not be so cartels with my heart and frayed emotions this time around...

After last week's rejection extravaganza, I'd really love to get some more acceptances going. Options would be nice, right? Here's to another week on the emotional rollercoaster! Get your coping mechanisms ready!

A-friggin'-men!

I'm with you. At this point I really need something positive. I've got implied rejections from Vanderbilt, Brown, Yale, and now UNC Chapel Hill. In fact, the only positive thing that's happened is that I wasn't in the first string of UVA rejections. Sincerely hoping this week proves more fruitful.

I'm with you. At this point I really need something positive. I've got implied rejections from Vanderbilt, Brown, Yale, and now UNC Chapel Hill. In fact, the only positive thing that's happened is that I wasn't in the first string of UVA rejections. Sincerely hoping this week proves more fruitful.

Amen. It's really frustrating still not having news from TWELVE schools. I looked back to my last app cycle, and most of my notifications didn't come in until the last week of February/first week of March, but those were all rejections, which is more than a little nerve-wracking.

I'm glad to see you have options this go round! I've already steeled myself to expect another application round. I've said it before, but thank god for Scotch.

Same.

Well, my fingers are still crossed for funding from the other program I've heard from (which is much higher on my list than the school where I have funding secured).

It is a huge relief to have somewhere to go, but, honestly, I really don't get why there is such a lag between acceptances and rejections at some schools. I get not notifying waitlisted students for those programs that prefer to make a full offer, but if the adcomms know who IS getting accepted, surely they know who is definitely getting rejected. What is the point of making us wait another few weeks (or month in some cases) to find out officially. *sigh... rant over*

It is a huge relief to have somewhere to go, but, honestly, I really don't get why there is such a lag between acceptances and rejections at some schools. I get not notifying waitlisted students for those programs that prefer to make a full offer, but if the adcomms know who IS getting accepted, surely they know who is definitely getting rejected. What is the point of making us wait another few weeks (or month in some cases) to find out officially. *sigh... rant over*

Ain't that the truth! I really appreciate Rice, Madison, and Northwestern for being so quick about their rejections. I'm downright looking forward to when my "implied" rejections can finally be converted to legitimate ones.

Hey guys, I'm new to these forums. Is an "implied rejection" basically getting radio silence, but seeing on GradCafe that acceptances have gone out? Because if so I have that from a couple of places, but I'm waitlisted at UW-Madison...

Yup! Congrats on the waitlist, that's a good sign :)

Yup! Congrats on the waitlist, that's a good sign :)

Thanks so much, Hannalore! I'm surprised because it looks like almost everyone accepted/waitlisted already has a Masters, so I hope that won't hurt my chances for getting bumped up to acceptance! Pretty sure I've got an implied rejection from UNC and Michigan, though. 

Thanks so much, Hannalore! I'm surprised because it looks like almost everyone accepted/waitlisted already has a Masters, so I hope that won't hurt my chances for getting bumped up to acceptance! Pretty sure I've got an implied rejection from UNC and Michigan, though. 

I'm an admit with a BA; I think there is a bunch of us, so I wouldn't worry about that. The preponderance of MA acceptances probably has more to do with the kind of people who populate this website than anything else! 

I'm an admit with a BA; I think there is a bunch of us, so I wouldn't worry about that. The preponderance of MA acceptances probably has more to do with the kind of people who populate this website than anything else! 

Oh thank god, that actually makes me feel a bit better. A lot better. I really, really hope it works out because I love the city of Madison almost as much as I love their English department!

Annnnd with Cornell that means I'm saying goodbye to New York state. :(

Hey Kurayamino, I'm so sorry to hear that NY is out of the picture, but congrats on getting into IUB! I just graduated from their program, and they have a beautiful campus, amazing resources (the Kinsey is freaking fantastic), and really caring, awesome professors. If you ever want to know anything about the school, feel free to message me! I highly recommend it. UCLA is, of course, also fantastic, as well as the other places you applied to.