Decisions

I wanted to ask a quick question of the group. It looks like I'll be rejected from the PhD programs I applied to, and, as a backup, my undergraduate institution is sort of courting me, suggesting I take on a full-time job at the university and feed right into their M.A. program. This would allow me to keep studying without a real break in my education, continue to work with the faculty I admire, and further prepare me as a PhD candidate. Additionally, the professors who are encouraging me to pursue this suggest that it would be fairly easy to get full-time employment at the college, allowing me to pay for the degree much more cheaply than an M.A. from another institution.

My question is -- does this sound like a good back up plan? I have a couple of concerns, chiefly that if I do this, I wouldn't start a PhD program until Fall 2017 at the earliest, and I'll be 33 when I do. (The comments/discussion about age in another thread really got into my head, haha.) The other concern I have is I know schools look down on people that get their MA and BA from the same place -- is this really true? How much would that hurt my chances? 

I've never heard anything about schools looking down on those who get their MAs and BAs from the same institution. If you get your BA, MA, AND PhD from the same school, that's a different story. 

I haven't read the age thread comments because I know they'll upset me. I'm 30 and just starting a PhD if it's any consolation. ;) 

I wanted to ask a quick question of the group. It looks like I'll be rejected from the PhD programs I applied to, and, as a backup, my undergraduate institution is sort of courting me, suggesting I take on a full-time job at the university and feed right into their M.A. program. This would allow me to keep studying without a real break in my education, continue to work with the faculty I admire, and further prepare me as a PhD candidate. Additionally, the professors who are encouraging me to pursue this suggest that it would be fairly easy to get full-time employment at the college, allowing me to pay for the degree much more cheaply than an M.A. from another institution.

My question is -- does this sound like a good back up plan? I have a couple of concerns, chiefly that if I do this, I wouldn't start a PhD program until Fall 2017 at the earliest, and I'll be 33 when I do. (The comments/discussion about age in another thread really got into my head, haha.) The other concern I have is I know schools look down on people that get their MA and BA from the same place -- is this really true? How much would that hurt my chances? 

I certainly am not qualified to say whether this would hurt your chances of getting a job and with how things are I'm not sure anyone can predict with any certainty (I think other, more "professional" fields like law are more predictable in this regard).  To me though, this sounds like a nice offer if you really would like the idea of spending a couple years at that same school and can work a job there that you think would be fulfilling.  I'm currently starting to try and think of ways that I can fit in meaningful job opportunities into whatever Ph.D. program I enter so as to keep my resume vital and diverse even when I'm in a program designed to prevent me from needing to get a full-time job, so based on your description it sounds like that could be a potentially good option.  Especially if you eventually enroll in a Ph.D. program that will let you transfer some credits so as to get started on your orals and dissertation a little quicker.

I wasn't working toward a master's or anything, but I worked full time for my undergrad college for the summer and fall after graduating and I found it rewarding.  I got to do research assistance and help with curriculum and syllabus design and get some TAing experience while keeping my jobs at the library and it served as a really nice stepping stone for me figuring out my next moves after graduating instead of having to be thrown into a rather bleak job market (at least where I live) while also wanting to apply to grad schools (I was also able to take free classes and refresh my loan grace period).  Obviously my experience is different and reflects a much shorter commitment though.

I'm glad you mentioned visiting schools to find out which one is "the one." I'm debating between two programs, and from what I can see, they are neck-in-neck. It is going to be SO tough to decide -- but both schools are flying me down to meet people and see the campus. I HOPE that I will know which one is "the one" after my visits. Good luck on your campus visits!

I'm in the exact same boat! The only two schools I got into are my absolute top choices-- and there are so many factors to consider! Hoping that campus visits will help spark that inner intuition. 

I'm in the exact same boat! The only two schools I got into are my absolute top choices-- and there are so many factors to consider! Hoping that campus visits will help spark that inner intuition. 

My adviser suggested to visit and then trust my gut about which one to choose if all else seems equal. Good luck to you on your choice! :)

Another thing that might factor into the questions to ask/decision process for PhD and MA/PhD people: look at the recent job listings in your area of interest (and related areas). What are universities asking for, outside of research expertise?

While it's been true for a while that teaching has always been a factor in getting a job at the other end of the PhD, different kinds of teaching experience are being asked for. For example, more and more job calls are asking for experience or training in online courses. So you might ask if the university (1) offers training in online courses or (2) offers online courses for graduate students to teach. Ask what other kinds of training they offer too (computer-mediated classroom training; technical writing training; etc.).

Is it a terrible idea to accept an offer before visiting? I'm starting to see that my decision is sort of a no-brainer and I don't want to leave these other programs hanging. 

Is there an organized visiting weekend?  I would definitely decline offers you wouldn't accept over your top choice offer.  I'd decline offers until left with my top two choices and visit both of them and then decide.

Edited to add that visiting top two might not be needed if you visit your top choice and love it.  I visited my third and tied for first of my top three offers, and after visiting my tied for first offer, I knew it was better for me and didn't visit the other tied for first (which was a waitlist) and just accepted my top offer.  Basically, visit the top one and you'll know, I think.

Edited by lyonessrampant

Is it a terrible idea to accept an offer before visiting? I'm starting to see that my decision is sort of a no-brainer and I don't want to leave these other programs hanging. 

I didn't visit my MA program. If you're really, seriously considering one of your other offers, then visit. But if you know you're going to Rutgers (which I would if I were in your position) I wouldn't waste my time (or their time) visiting. 

(Edited to add: I mean I wouldn't waste my time visiting other programs. I'd definitely visit Rutgers!)

Edited by CarolineKS

Even if you want to go to Rutgers and are 100% sure about it, visiting will still help you meet your cohort and develop relationships ahead of time. After all, if you want to live with a roommate, you'd probably want to have met them first!

Edited by echo449

Even if you want to go to Rutgers and are 100% sure about it, visiting will still help you meet your cohort and develop relationships ahead of time. After all, if you want to live with a roommate, you'd probably want to have met them first!

Also, there will be other GCers there (like me)!  :D  :D  :D

For those of you who contacted schools for a decision ETA, how did you phrase your email/phone call?

I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but I just got word one of my funded offers (the better of the two) has a hard mid-March deadline. There are a few places I haven't heard from (and where I haven't yet assumed rejection) that would make me decline, but I don't want to turn something down to find out I don't have other options.

I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but I just got word one of my funded offers (the better of the two) has a hard mid-March deadline. There are a few places I haven't heard from (and where I haven't yet assumed rejection) that would make me decline, but I don't want to turn something down to find out I don't have other options.

I have no business being in this thread...BUT my two cents regardless: I would frame it just like you do above. Be honest and forthright about the fact that you have a hard deadline coming up, so anything they can tell you about your chances would be helpful. At this point in the process you really need to look out for your own best interests. It's March, and most schools have made the bulk of their decisions by now, so I don't think there's any real harm in checking in for a reason like this.

WT: first off, thanks so much for the advice! I'm going to try to send out emails before class, so we'll see what comes of it.

Also, you have every business in this thread! TBH I actually probably posted in the wrong thread, but I wasn't sure where else to put it and didn't think it was worth its own discussion.

Thanks again!

Edited by InHacSpeVivo

WT: first off, thanks so much for the advice! I'm going to try to send out emails before class, so we'll see what comes of it.

Also, you have every business in this thread!

Thanks, and good luck!

See u in new brunswick you friendly rutgers peeps. I RSVPd yes for the visit.  :rolleyes:

Also I had a really great talk with a professor in my area last night. I might send in the official papers today.

Congrats, Morris! Honestly, while I'm not in the same position (in that I had no "decision" to make, per se), I imagine that I would have wanted to focus on one place as soon as I could. Having the peace of mind of a decision made is probably more fulfilling than having the relative luxury of decisions to make.

^^

I was 85% sure I didn't want to attend one school, and declining the offer made me 100% sure. 

Having three MA offers on the table was terrifying enough--and I was only deciding the next 22 months of my life. Good luck to all you PhDs out there making five-year decisions!

I only got accepted to Tufts PhD and Northeastern MA, waitlisted at UNC Chapel Hill and Boston University. Not sure if I want to wait until I hear something more decisive from BU or UNC or just accept Tufts. Rank is unfortunately weighing pretty heavily on my mind, although I really like the sound of Tufts's department and almost everything else about it. Any thoughts? 

I only got accepted to Tufts PhD and Northeastern MA, waitlisted at UNC Chapel Hill and Boston University. Not sure if I want to wait until I hear something more decisive from BU or UNC or just accept Tufts. Rank is unfortunately weighing pretty heavily on my mind, although I really like the sound of Tufts's department and almost everything else about it. Any thoughts? 

Is there a possibility of visiting either school that has waitlisted you (Esp BU, since you'll probably be in the area at some point to look into Tufts)? I'm on a couple of waitlists, and they've been really nice about accommodating a visit from me, making me feel very welcome and showing me the program so that I can think more clearly about my options. It's possible that you could solidify your thoughts about a school without waiting to see if you're off the list first.

Hold out to see if UNC converts to an acceptance. Tufts is a good program, don't get me wrong, but you're smart to be thinking of prestige -- it's the currency of academy. UNC will give you better job prospects in the end. And if in a month you haven't heard anything from UNC, you can always take Tufts' offer then. I just don't see any downside in waiting. 

Is there a possibility of visiting either school that has waitlisted you (Esp BU, since you'll probably be in the area at some point to look into Tufts)? I'm on a couple of waitlists, and they've been really nice about accommodating a visit from me, making me feel very welcome and showing me the program so that I can think more clearly about my options. It's possible that you could solidify your thoughts about a school without waiting to see if you're off the list first.

Yes, I'm looking into visiting this weekend--I'll be visiting UNC Chapel Hill by the end of this month. I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to visit BU, but hopefully weekend after next. I guess I'm just a little disheartened by my lack of concrete options besides Tufts (although thrilled to have been accepted at all!)

How important is ranking when your potential schools are ranked closely, within one level of each other? Should you automatically go with the one ranked higher just cause? I ask because Austin is looking better and better but I do have that wait list at unc, which is one spot ahead of ut)