Decisions

How important is ranking when your potential schools are ranked closely, within one level of each other? Should you automatically go with the one ranked higher just cause? I ask because Austin is looking better and better but I do have that wait list at unc, which is one spot ahead of ut)

From all the advice I've ever gotten, if they're that close fit should win the day. But others may disagree?

I don't see how ONE spot in the rankings, which may very well change before you finish your program, could possibly make that much of a difference. Go with the better offer for sure

Hi Caroline! I'm originally from NC, but I'm at CCU for undergrad. I'm so jealous that you're from Charleston- it's my favorite place in the south.

I do love Charleston, but I think the area around Asheville is my favorite part of the South. :) 

Here's a question: I'm on a department visit right now. The department-hosted dinner with grad students was tonight and I am up with a brutal case of food poisoning. My meeting with the DGS is at 9:00 am tomorrow. Am I allowed to explain the situation and, if so, at what time should I do this?

Here's a question: I'm on a department visit right now. The department-hosted dinner with grad students was tonight and I am up with a brutal case of food poisoning. My meeting with the DGS is at 9:00 am tomorrow. Am I allowed to explain the situation and, if so, at what time should I do this?

I would alert them immediately.  Why would you not? In fact I'd do it sooner than later so it doesn't seem like you are just hung over because you went to drinks after dinner last night. 

I have to echo NowMoreSerious' statement. I hope it went well!

If it makes you feel any better, I ended up super nauseous during the dinner with grad students at my visit last week. Everyone there was super nice and understanding though. I'm sure your department will be the same way as long as you're forthright.

ETA: And I hope you're feeling better!

Edited by InHacSpeVivo

Wait and vomit in the DGS' office to establish dominance.

*may have binge watched House of Cards season 3 this week*

A favor: as you decide which program you plan to attend, and announce those choices, please consider naming the programs you are declining (and, if you can without compromising your identity more than you wish, your speciality).  That might help waitlisted folks a bit in our efforts to read the tea leaves.  Thanks.

Congrats to all who have already made their decisions.  I crave that serenity.

PS, I'm planning to be at Tufts' open-house tomorrow, even though I'm still on a wait-list there.  I won't arrive until the lunch.  If anyone else is going and wants to form a bloc to stave off the intimidation of being the new person in the room, let me know.

Edited by greenmt

A favor: as you decide which program you plan to attend, and announce those choices, please consider naming the programs you are declining (and, if you can without compromising your identity more than you wish, your speciality).  That might help waitlisted folks a bit in our efforts to read the tea leaves.  Thanks.

Congrats to all who have already made their decisions.  I crave that serenity.

PS, I'm planning to be at Tufts' open-house tomorrow, even though I'm still on a wait-list there.  I won't arrive until the lunch.  If anyone else is going and wants to form a bloc to stave off the intimidation of being the new person in the room, let me know.

I second the declining programs and specialty thing! 

I've declined all the programs I've crossed out and I'm 19th C American.

I'm having a hell of a time weighing my three California offers. USC's funding is quite generous, and they have the general academic name power despite a lower ranking. But Davis has Beth Freeman, who's a boss, and a really special poetry community, and Northern California! But Riverside has all the radicals & queers (aka a general good intellectual fit for me). I think I've had to say "it's a good problem to have" to about a hundred people at this point, and it's true. Anybody wanna make the decision for me?

I'm having a hell of a time weighing my three California offers. USC's funding is quite generous, and they have the general academic name power despite a lower ranking. But Davis has Beth Freeman, who's a boss, and a really special poetry community, and Northern California! But Riverside has all the radicals & queers (aka a general good intellectual fit for me). I think I've had to say "it's a good problem to have" to about a hundred people at this point, and it's true. Anybody wanna make the decision for me?

Definitely a good problem to have! I feel like I'm also going crazy thinking about offers right now...

...and Beth Freeman! How legit!

A good problem for sure, I vote for USC (cough Halberstam cough)

Edited by InHacSpeVivo

It's funny you should say this, because I was about to PM you just to tell you that you have a super tough decision and to hang in there.  You have one of the toughest decisions I've seen in a while. 

Have you visited anywhere?

It's funny you should say this, because I was about to PM you just to tell you that you have a super tough decision and to hang in there.  You have one of the toughest decisions I've seen in a while. 

Have you visited anywhere?

Thanks, I appreciate the support!

I leave tomorrow morning to spend three weeks in CA. The AWP conference in Seattle is my only experience of the West so far. This should be fun.

I have officially turned down offers from Alberta, Florida, and Ohio State this weekend, which I hope is helpful to some people here.

Are you nineteenth century literature? What was your subfield listed at OSU?

By the way, how did your campus visit go?

FRED MOTEN

I am gender and sexuality studies or pop culture; I don't actually know which was the group that accepted me. I also do 20th-century lit, so it's possible I am not that helpful for you. Sorry! 

Campus visit was very enlightening as to the fact that the department I visited was not the place for me! 

Just a quick question for those who have already accepted or are on the verge of accepting: Have you received your official notification from the university/graduate studies administration as opposed to the department? Did anyone accept by communicating directly with the department before receiving official paperwork from the general administration (curious as to whether this is a possibility at all)? I've been accepted by the department over a month ago but haven't received paperwork from the university...the department has told me to wait for the paperwork, and I am still waiting for the waitlist to shake out at one of my other schools but I was wondering if anyone had some insights on this issue. Thanks in advance!

Just a quick question for those who have already accepted or are on the verge of accepting: Have you received your official notification from the university/graduate studies administration as opposed to the department? Did anyone accept by communicating directly with the department before receiving official paperwork from the general administration (curious as to whether this is a possibility at all)? I've been accepted by the department over a month ago but haven't received paperwork from the university...the department has told me to wait for the paperwork, and I am still waiting for the waitlist to shake out at one of my other schools but I was wondering if anyone had some insights on this issue. Thanks in advance!

I was mailed two contracts for two universities, and a pdf to print out and mail to a third.
While it might be fine to accept an offer via email/phone, I don't think anything can be considered official till you sign the contract. 

At least, that would be my take on it. I know different disciplines work different ways.

I am gender and sexuality studies or pop culture; I don't actually know which was the group that accepted me. I also do 20th-century lit, so it's possible I am not that helpful for you. Sorry! 

Campus visit was very enlightening as to the fact that the department I visited was not the place for me! 

I focus on gothic nineteenth-century ecocriticism, but I thought I would ask anyway. :)

I hope you choose the school that best fits your needs and scholarship!