Decisions

Just a quick question, how much (if at all) should ranking and other considerations play into things if programmes offer considerably different funding packages? At the moment I'm (potentially?) waitlisted at Rutgers who offer five years and have offers at UW (4 years) and UW Madison (3 years). Fit-wise I think they'll all be grand and ranking wise I don't know whether I should pay most attention to my home department (Comp Lit) or other departments such as Lat Am, South Asian studies, English and Gender which i'm likely to have a good deal to do with because they're affiliated with the languages/regions/areas that I'll be working with. Given the financial uncertainty surrounding everything to do with grad school my guess is a whole year more of funding is a pretty decisive factor but I don't know whether I'm attributing it too much weight. Any advice is appreciated :D

Just a quick question, how much (if at all) should ranking and other considerations play into things if programmes offer considerably different funding packages? At the moment I'm (potentially?) waitlisted at Rutgers who offer five years and have offers at UW (4 years) and UW Madison (3 years). Fit-wise I think they'll all be grand and ranking wise I don't know whether I should pay most attention to my home department (Comp Lit) or other departments such as Lat Am, South Asian studies, English and Gender which i'm likely to have a good deal to do with because they're affiliated with the languages/regions/areas that I'll be working with. Given the financial uncertainty surrounding everything to do with grad school my guess is a whole year more of funding is a pretty decisive factor but I don't know whether I'm attributing it too much weight. Any advice is appreciated :D

Disclaimer: I'm not super familiar with Comp Lit programs and rank.

In a perfect world funding would be identical so you could opt for the program that best fits your needs. But it isn't a perfect world. If you get off the list at Rutgers, it's a no-brainer, at least in my mind. Others may disagree. You want maximum funding for as long as you can get it. 3 years seems too short. Is there room for additional years of teaching or other sources of funding pretty much guaranteed but not explicitly stated? Same question for UW. Money shouldn't be the deciding factor, but it really does play such a significant role in your early career that you want to give yourself the best opportunity to complete your doctorate with as much of a financial buffer as possible.

Unless you truly don't care for Rutgers (or don't get off the list). Then I'd suggest going by rank combined with average time to degree and opportunities for additional funding.

Frankly the UW-Madison offer scares me, Katla. I'm sure you've already read up on Scott Walker's shenanigans in Wisconsin, but in bygone years, UW-Madison has guaranteed five years. The fact that they can't guarantee any more than that now speaks to the legitimate financial concerns there.

Having said all of that, it's a fabulous program, so the risk:reward ratio is going to be your biggest concern here. Obviously, as Mikers says, you take the Rutgers offer if you get off the waitlist, given that they're an equally great program for English. But if not, then it will be a tough call between the three birds in hand at Madison vs. the four birds in hand at UW.

Sorry that this decision is going to come down to money. :unsure:

Edited by Wyatt's Torch

Three years of funding just isn't enough. Frankly, I don't care if a program insists that PhD students always get funding their fourth and fifth year; if the funding is guaranteed, then guarantee it! Your third year of a PhD program should be focused on starting a killer dissertation, the kind that will get you a job, not rushing through just in case you can't get funding. Or, just as bad, focusing your energies on applying for funding rather than your research. Sorry to be so blunt, but offering three years of funding is straight up unethical, especially in this financial and political climate. 

Agreed with all of the above. Full-funding for typical number of years to receive degree is a must. But we all know how I feel about funding so I won't say anymore...

I'm curious about folks who have done campus visits now: when do you aim to make a decision? Was the campus visit the last piece of intel you needed before decisions or are there still other forthcoming considerations?

Agreed with all of the above. Full-funding for typical number of years to receive degree is a must. But we all know how I feel about funding so I won't say anymore...

I'm curious about folks who have done campus visits now: when do you aim to make a decision? Was the campus visit the last piece of intel you needed before decisions or are there still other forthcoming considerations?

Augh, my visits made me more conflicted than ever! I had basically crossed UCLA off my list in favor of Northwestern but then I visited and loved it. I still have Rutgers left to check out, and I honestly have no clue where I'm going at this point. I could see myself happy at any of these programs! I told my work I'd be able to make a decision by the end of March but now I'm planning to use the full month I have between now and the decision deadline to weigh my options (location, funding, possible colleagues) and potentially negotiate, etc.

Anyone else in this boat or did visiting immediately cement your decision?

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to commit anywhere. I REALLY enjoyed the one visit I had, but I'm STILL waiting to hear about funding from that program. It has already cost me one funded acceptance, which I had to decline on Friday because there are so many variables. Im really hoping visits clear it up for some people, though, which would ideally result in a trickle-down effect for some others of us to narrow options. :-/

I hope to decline soon, but applying with a partner has unfortunately slowed down my decision process. I'm sorry to anyone kept waiting because of my situation (even if/ especially if they aren't on this website)!

Yes, the decision-making process is proving to be very frustrating for me, as well - the deadline for my fully-funded offer is quickly approaching while my scholarship nomination outcomes for my other schools won't be finalized until well after that deadline has passed. I wish I could make a decision with full understanding of everything I've been offered, but looks like such will not be the case. Alas, the problems with applying to schools in multiple countries on very different systems! 

Ah well, I too have a campus visit coming up and I am hoping that it helps to make my decision easier. 

Many congrats to all of you who have made the big decision! And best of luck to those of you who are still figuring things out. You are not alone! :)

Edited by windrainfireandbooks

I loved my visit to ucla, but I want to visit my other two serious options which aren't until next week. I'm also moving with my husband so I have his job options to consider which makes the choice really really harrowing and stressful. I'm sorry if there people waiting for the schools I'm still considering, the decision process is really complicated for me since I'm all over the country with my options.

Please don't feel pressured to rush into any decisions! As I'm sure many wait listers know, most acceptance notifications only come out around mid-April anyway, and I at least don't have any schools pressuring me to accept offers before then, so please do take all the time you need to make the right decision for you. Of course, if you're in at a school that you already know you truly don't want to attend, by all means go ahead and let them know :)

Edited by jean-luc-gohard

Please don't feel pressured to rush into any decisions! As I'm sure many wait listers know, most acceptance notifications only come out around mid-April anyway, and I at least don't have any schools pressuring me to accept offers before then, so please do take all the time you need to make the right decision for you. Of course, if you're in at a school that you already know you truly don't want to attend, by all means go ahead and let them know :)

Agreed! I hope my post isn't being interpreted as me being pushy with folks. I only asked because I'm curious if campus visits really "sealed the deal" or not. I'm kind of in the same boat actually... my campus visit made my decision much less clear cut as well.

Oh, I didn't take it as pressuring at all! I think it's it's just my own sense of guilt because I thought it would be so much easier to decide after visiting ucla, but I didn't hate LA or the people at all.. Lol :)

Agreed! I hope my post isn't being interpreted as me being pushy with folks. I only asked because I'm curious if campus visits really "sealed the deal" or not. I'm kind of in the same boat actually... my campus visit made my decision much less clear cut as well.

No, your post doesn't come off that way at all! I was just trying to reassure the people feeling bad about taking time to make their decisions. BTW, I'm really rooting for you at USC - it's where I went for undergrad and the faculty are some of the greatest and most supportive people on earth. I know that multiple people have gotten in off the waitlist there in the past few years.

No, your post doesn't come off that way at all! I was just trying to reassure the people feeling bad about taking time to make their decisions. BTW, I'm really rooting for you at USC - it's where I went for undergrad and the faculty are some of the greatest and most supportive people on earth. I know that multiple people have gotten in off the waitlist there in the past few years.

Thank you! I don't hear enough (good things) about USC on this board. Strange how barely any applicants and (as far as I know) zero current graduate students frequent TGC. 

Oh, I didn't take it as pressuring at all! I think it's it's just my own sense of guilt because I thought it would be so much easier to decide after visiting ucla, but I didn't hate LA or the people at all.. Lol :)

I find it funny how visitors to LA are always pleasantly surprised how little they hate the city and its people ;) I'll be honest, before I moved here I was kind of wary myself! 

Thank you! I don't hear enough (good things) about USC on this board. Strange how barely any applicants and (as far as I know) zero current graduate students frequent TGC.

I feel this way about Michigan, and I've vowed to be present during next application cycle for people who are admitted. But even the current admits aren't really around. Interesting how some schools draw bigger TGC crowds than others.

Either that or the exact opposite.   :P

My theory is that everyone who moves to LA starts out loving it until one day they find themselves sitting in 405 traffic, delirious from the 90 degree heat even though it's only MARCH (seriously?), realizing that they pay more for parking than they pay for their health insurance premiums and seriously considering the idea of adopting a child for the sole purpose of using the carpool lane. It's real out here on these streets, you guys.

Disclaimer: I'm not super familiar with Comp Lit programs and rank.

In a perfect world funding would be identical so you could opt for the program that best fits your needs. But it isn't a perfect world. If you get off the list at Rutgers, it's a no-brainer, at least in my mind. Others may disagree. You want maximum funding for as long as you can get it. 3 years seems too short. Is there room for additional years of teaching or other sources of funding pretty much guaranteed but not explicitly stated? Same question for UW. Money shouldn't be the deciding factor, but it really does play such a significant role in your early career that you want to give yourself the best opportunity to complete your doctorate with as much of a financial buffer as possible.

Unless you truly don't care for Rutgers (or don't get off the list). Then I'd suggest going by rank combined with average time to degree and opportunities for additional funding.

Frankly the UW-Madison offer scares me, Katla. I'm sure you've already read up on Scott Walker's shenanigans in Wisconsin, but in bygone years, UW-Madison has guaranteed five years. The fact that they can't guarantee any more than that now speaks to the legitimate financial concerns there.

Having said all of that, it's a fabulous program, so the risk:reward ratio is going to be your biggest concern here. Obviously, as Mikers says, you take the Rutgers offer if you get off the waitlist, given that they're an equally great program for English. But if not, then it will be a tough call between the three birds in hand at Madison vs. the four birds in hand at UW.

Sorry that this decision is going to come down to money. :unsure:

Three years of funding just isn't enough. Frankly, I don't care if a program insists that PhD students always get funding their fourth and fifth year; if the funding is guaranteed, then guarantee it! Your third year of a PhD program should be focused on starting a killer dissertation, the kind that will get you a job, not rushing through just in case you can't get funding. Or, just as bad, focusing your energies on applying for funding rather than your research. Sorry to be so blunt, but offering three years of funding is straight up unethical, especially in this financial and political climate. 

Thank you all for this! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: It's pretty much confirming that I was right to feel apprehensive -moving somewhere for at least four, most likely 5-7 years with no money guaranteed beyond the first three feels pretty daunting, even more so as an international student. 

In fairness to U Washington I've been accepted to the post-MA track so it's thought of as a four year programme but Madison's offer and the situation in Wisconsin has me nervous as heck.

My theory is that everyone who moves to LA starts out loving it until one day they find themselves sitting in 405 traffic, delirious from the 90 degree heat even though it's only MARCH (seriously?), realizing that they pay more for parking than they pay for their health insurance premiums and seriously considering the idea of adopting a child for the sole purpose of using the carpool lane. It's real out here on these streets, you guys.

Or pull a Larry David and hire a sex worker to get to a Dodgers game on time. 

Thank you all for this! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: It's pretty much confirming that I was right to feel apprehensive -moving somewhere for at least four, most likely 5-7 years with no money guaranteed beyond the first three feels pretty daunting, even more so as an international student. 

In fairness to U Washington I've been accepted to the post-MA track so it's thought of as a four year programme but Madison's offer and the situation in Wisconsin has me nervous as heck.

Oy! I forgot you're an international student too. If I didn't have solid funding for international tuition, I'd run screaming for the hills! Glad you have other fairer offers to consider :)

God, I miss los angeles. 

Hey guys, I'm glad that we are talking about this on the English forum! I am trying to decide between four right now... and waiting on another four! I am applying to Masters programs though instead of PhDs.

Do you guys have any different advice for choosing a Masters program, especially if you did one? Do you feel like course offerings are more important, or is liking your advisor more important?

I am trying to decide at the moment between BC, which is offering me full tuition, and UChicago's MAPH program, UVA's English Masters, and St. Andrew's Shakespearian course. 

I'm hoping to study late medieval/early renn English drama. 

Oh, also, I'd love to know how helpful you guys think teaching experience during your Masters would be in making you a better PhD candidate. Boston College is offering a TA or TF position for the second year with a stipend, and a pedagogy course. I was a pretty good candidate coming out of undergrad - do you think having teaching experience in a Masters program would make more competitive for PhD programs? Would an Ivy level school with no teaching experience be better than BC with teaching?