Decisions

Being able to teach stand-alone lit classes is a huge advantage.  At my University, we teach stand-alone lit courses during years 4-6, so with a couple summer courses, we go on the market having taught between 4 (if on fellowship one of the last two years)-8 courses (some repeats but a lot of diversity, too) in addition to teaching stand-alone composition courses where we can design our own syllabus.  At a 1-1 load, that was a huge draw for me personally.  Being able to teach in your area really does help spawn ideas for your own research.

Being able to teach stand-alone lit classes is a huge advantage.  At my University, we teach stand-alone lit courses during years 4-6, so with a couple summer courses, we go on the market having taught between 4 (if on fellowship one of the last two years)-8 courses (some repeats but a lot of diversity, too) in addition to teaching stand-alone composition courses where we can design our own syllabus.  At a 1-1 load, that was a huge draw for me personally.  Being able to teach in your area really does help spawn ideas for your own research.

As an undergrad at the U, a couple of my best classes were taught by PhD students! Those American and British surveys!

So I wonder what the forum has to say about these two programs, if anything. I also plan on going somewhere different for my PhD, so I am curious if anybody has any opinions about which program might give a better leg up when that application season comes around (of course, it is up to me to create a good application, but every little bit helps when you're trying to get into a top PhD school).

I'm an Americanist MA student at Mizzou, you can PM me if you'd like more info.

When I asked one of my potential schools in the UK about placement records, they told me they don't have access to that information. Should I be worried about that response?

Placement in US schools is beginning to be a big factor in convincing students to attend, so programs are starting to keep better records. It may not be such a big issue in the UK. 

You could always try contacting the professor you want to work with, and asking him/her where his/her former students are now. 

Placement in US schools is beginning to be a big factor in convincing students to attend, so programs are starting to keep better records. It may not be such a big issue in the UK. 

You could always try contacting the professor you want to work with, and asking him/her where his/her former students are now.

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I am going to do that. :)

I'm still on the waitlist and waiting to hear from UNC Chapel Hill--I sent them a brief note a few weeks ago to see if they had any updates. I'm new at this, I guess I was too brief or abrupt in my requesting info? Will this hurt my chances? I'm going to the Open House this weekend, so hopefully I can make clear they're my top choice!

I'm still on the waitlist and waiting to hear from UNC Chapel Hill--I sent them a brief note a few weeks ago to see if they had any updates. I'm new at this, I guess I was too brief or abrupt in my requesting info? Will this hurt my chances? I'm going to the Open House this weekend, so hopefully I can make clear they're my top choice!

Did your contact not respond to your note? If so, I don't think it would be rude to follow up with a nice email. I would reassure them that they are your first choice, that you plan to attend the open house, and that you hope to hear from them soon. As long as you're honest and polite, I don't think a follow-up will come off the wrong way.

Hey guys! Found out I got into MALS today. No idea about funding or details, just that I got in. Anyone know much about them? Assuming their tuition is the GSAS one, it's pretty expensive, it's like 45k.

I don't think I'll know till next week. I had emailed the department contact asking when I would know because I have deadlines coming up starting on the 31... so she very kindly told me!
Anyway, I'll report back... maybe I'll have heard from Oxford or the ever mysterious Columbia...!

Is anyone here still deciding on whether to accept an offer from UNC-Chapel Hill?

I'm on the waiting list, and having visited, I feel 100% totally certain in my soul that I'm *meant to be* there. I know the stipend isn't great, but I've got a personal attachment to the school. So I'm holding my breath. If you've decided to attend another program (or if you're really split 50/50 between it and another school), please, for the love of all that is good and pure, let go of the UNC offer. You will make my entire life.

Is anyone here still deciding on whether to accept an offer from UNC-Chapel Hill?

I'm on the waiting list, and having visited, I feel 100% totally certain in my soul that I'm *meant to be* there. I know the stipend isn't great, but I've got a personal attachment to the school. So I'm holding my breath. If you've decided to attend another program (or if you're really split 50/50 between it and another school), please, for the love of all that is good and pure, let go of the UNC offer. You will make my entire life.

I can be of no help but just wanted to say love the (I hope) Nick Cave referencing username! (And my fingers are crossed for you!)

I am. I'm sorry - I should have a decision by this weekend. Going on my last visit tomorrow. I wonder if I met you at the visit? 

I am. I'm sorry - I should have a decision by this weekend. Going on my last visit tomorrow. I wonder if I met you at the visit? 

Caroline -- don't be sorry! I'll PM you. Thanks for the reply.

I can be of no help but just wanted to say love the (I hope) Nick Cave referencing username! (And my fingers are crossed for you!)

It's great that you got the reference! Fun old song and I love several versions. Thanks for the good vibes, too.

It's great that you got the reference! Fun old song and I love several versions. Thanks for the good vibes, too.

A Nick Cave fan AND an East of Eden avatar! Yep, you're definitely welcome here. :D

Hi everyone! I am in a bit of a pickle and would appreciate some insight.

The deadline to respond to School A was April 1st but I asked for an extension. They extended my deadline until April 6th, but told me to let them know if that wasn't enough time. Since it is Easter weekend, the two remaining places I am waiting to hear from have just informed me that they will release their results after Easter and no later than the morning of April 8th. These two places are my first choices but School A is definitely a strong second choice. I really want to hear back from the other two places before making my final decision, but am ever aware that there are people on School A's wait list who are anxious for a decision and who have been promised one on April 6th. Would it be unacceptable to tell School A about my situation and ask if I can have an extension to respond to their offer by no later than the afternoon of April 8th?

Thanks! Happy long weekend!

Given that programs outside the US don't have the April 15 deadline, I think it's totally reasonable to explain you situation, letting them know you want to wait until all your answers are in to make a decision. As a waitlister, I would not hold it against you to take a few extra days to make an extremely important decision. ;)

Hi everyone! I am in a bit of a pickle and would appreciate some insight.

The deadline to respond to School A was April 1st but I asked for an extension. They extended my deadline until April 6th, but told me to let them know if that wasn't enough time. Since it is Easter weekend, the two remaining places I am waiting to hear from have just informed me that they will release their results after Easter and no later than the morning of April 8th. These two places are my first choices but School A is definitely a strong second choice. I really want to hear back from the other two places before making my final decision, but am ever aware that there are people on School A's wait list who are anxious for a decision and who have been promised one on April 6th. Would it be unacceptable to tell School A about my situation and ask if I can have an extension to respond to their offer by no later than the afternoon of April 8th?

Thanks! Happy long weekend!

Not sure if it's all right for me to name the school, but when I had asked about my wait list chances, a committee member said he should be able to tell me by April 6 since that was the deadline they had given out to acceptees (as you mentioned). Having just spoken to him again today, he said I would be given time to deliberate and that the deadline for my decision is TBD.  So considering they don't even have a date set for my decision deadline, I think it's more than likely that you could get that extra time if you asked. Go for it! 

Not sure if it's all right for me to name the school, but when I had asked about my wait list chances, a committee member said he should be able to tell me by April 6 since that was the deadline they had given out to acceptees (as you mentioned). Having just spoken to him again today, he said I would be given time to deliberate and that the deadline for my decision is TBD.  So considering they don't even have a date set for my decision deadline, I think it's more than likely that you could get that extra time if you asked. Go for it! 

Thanks! I actually sent the request about 10 minutes ago. :) And many congratulations again! 

Edited by windrainfireandbooks