Decisions

That's something I've been considering, too. If I don't take Brandeis up on its offer, some professors at my UGI have recommended that I get a job at my UGI and take advantage of employer benefits to get my masters from the UGI. It would allow me to stay in the city, study and take the GREs again, and work with some professors I wanted to study with as an undergrad but didn't get the chance to -- as well as continuing with some of the professors who I've gotten close to. But now I'm hearing that an MALS might be worse in two years than taking the PhD now. Is there a way to look into these programs and find out how well-regarded my UGI is? 

BLeonard: This doesn't answer your question, but I did want to share my own experience getting my first MA in an interdisciplinary program from my UG (not an ivy, but one of the top public schools/oldest schools in the country). Having gone through the process, I would highly, highly recommend taking the PhD offer in hand, rather than going through the process all over again to possibly not do as well (as Brandeis). I rolled the dice, so to speak, and my two funded offers right now aren't near the reputation of my UG or first MA.

Also, in having lived within walking distance of Brandeis for two years, I must say it's a great place to live, especially for commuting to NY (there's a commuter rail stop less than a quarter mile from campus).

This, of course, should all be taken FWIW. Just my experience.

Edited by InHacSpeVivo

That's something I've been considering, too. If I don't take Brandeis up on its offer, some professors at my UGI have recommended that I get a job at my UGI and take advantage of employer benefits to get my masters from the UGI. It would allow me to stay in the city, study and take the GREs again, and work with some professors I wanted to study with as an undergrad but didn't get the chance to -- as well as continuing with some of the professors who I've gotten close to. But now I'm hearing that an MALS might be worse in two years than taking the PhD now. Is there a way to look into these programs and find out how well-regarded my UGI is? 

I agree with InHacSpeVivo: if I were in your shoes, I'd be inclined to go directly for the PhD.  Brandeis is not only well-regarded, it's well-situated, partway out of town.  Boston is easily accessible by car or public transport; it's smaller, obviously, but a great city; and getting to NY will be much easier because you'll already be partway out on the Mass Turnpike.  (Amtrak, and I think Greyhound, stop at a station near the intersection of Rts. 128 and 95, so you don't have to go into Boston to catch public transport.)  Also, I think you said earlier that your spouse is certified in New York but not in Mass, but - depending on what the field is - I'd look into reciprocal certification rules.  It's possible that it's simply a matter of taking a test and paying a fee.  The area in / around Brandeis is pricy, but there are more affordable options a short commute away.  

Having said all that, if the issue is not wanting to leave New York yet, or wanting to work with specific faculty members at your undergraduate institution, or have other particular experiences that are not available through Brandeis, I think it's always best to go with your gut.    

Another question I have: When considering programs, how much weight should I give to offered classes? For example, the courses offered in the fall and spring at Brandeis are in line with what I'd want to study as PhD/grad school candidate, but the courses offered in the fall at my current institution in their MALS program are not, to the point where it would be hard for me to get enthused about any of them. I have no idea if I'm looking for reasons to go to Brandeis rather than weigh my options logically and reasonably. 

Course offerings are important.  Do make sure to look in departments besides just English, too.  Most programs require you to take some courses outside the department and to have someone on your committee from outside the department.  Taking courses outside English is a good way of finding that committee member.