Kent, OH

alphaflight

I'm going to Kent State and I am not from Ohio or from the surrounding states. I went up there in March and the town was smaller than the college-town that I'm living in now. It's 100 miles from Pittsburgh and not too far from Cleveland.

• 3 years later...

Kent is basically a small college town, so there's lots of housing available. You can get apartments through the school but they're a little expensive. There's a wide variety of houses and apartments available within walking distance of campus, and many more outside. They're generally very cheap. My rent is currently $375/month. Studios will probably cost you ~$600, with a roommate ~$300 - $400, and with a house share, you can get as low as $200/month.

I'm finishing my undergrad at Kent this semester, feel free to ask anything.

Kent is basically a small college town, so there's lots of housing available. You can get apartments through the school but they're a little expensive. There's a wide variety of houses and apartments available within walking distance of campus, and many more outside. They're generally very cheap. My rent is currently $375/month. Studios will probably cost you ~$600, with a roommate ~$300 - $400, and with a house share, you can get as low as $200/month.

I'm finishing my undergrad at Kent this semester, feel free to ask anything.

Thank you for posting this information.

How are utilities handled, do you know? Are there any areas to avoid? Do you know in which areas grad. students typically live? Are there any listings that I can check for the houses and/or apartments? TIA

Thank you for posting this information.

How are utilities handled, do you know? Are there any areas to avoid? Do you know in which areas grad. students typically live? Are there any listings that I can check for the houses and/or apartments? TIA

Utilities depend on the apartment complex. Some are included, some only include some, and some are separate. For houses it's generally separate. Utilities are pretty cheap here, though. There's no place that's really bad enough that I'd say to avoid, it just depends on how much noise or how long of a commute you can tolerate. As far as I know, grad students are mixed up with the undergrads unless they have families, then they tend to live in some of the newer, bigger apartments farther away from campus. Graduate students here tend to live in studio apartments more, though. I'd say try Facebook, kentwired.com (the school paper's classified), kentapartments.com (management company) and Craigslist for listings.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know of too many pet-friendly apartment complexes. I only know of one off the top of my head. If you live in a townhouse/house, you're usually pretty free to have whatever pets you want, though.

• 8 months later...

Hi all-

I just got an invite for an interview at Kent's cognitive program. What is the cost of living like, and do many graduate students who are older (25+, tops) live in the Akron/Canton area as well? I've been living in Pittsburgh as a research associate, but need to know what the transition is like to a smaller town. Any info would be helpful!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

If anyone would like to shed more light on the housing situation in Kent, it'd be marvelous. For example, where's a good neighborhood or which apartment complexes are decent.

If you would love to give your few cents worth on the places to stay away please comment as well. I won't be able to make a trip to Kent until late May. As such, it would be nice to know which area to scout for a house/ apartment to rent.

Appreciate it!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all-

I just got an invite for an interview at Kent's cognitive program. What is the cost of living like, and do many graduate students who are older (25+, tops) live in the Akron/Canton area as well? I've been living in Pittsburgh as a research associate, but need to know what the transition is like to a smaller town. Any info would be helpful!

You can get a decent 1 bd for 600-800 and a good 2bd for 700-900. There seem to be a lot of older graduate students in the area, Kent has a decent amount of them from my understanding, though I'm sure it varies in different programs. I am 25 and will (hopefully) be attending there in the Fall.

• 3 weeks later...

You can get a decent 1 bd for 600-800 and a good 2bd for 700-900. There seem to be a lot of older graduate students in the area, Kent has a decent amount of them from my understanding, though I'm sure it varies in different programs. I am 25 and will (hopefully) be attending there in the Fall.

Have you head from Kent yet? *nail bites* I'm still waiting myself for any word. I'm hoping I hear something before the 15th since I have been accepted to another program though w/o first year funding so I'm hoping Kent will be better.. Not sure what to do if I don't hear before the 15th...

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I live not far from Kent and my father works there. There's a lot of major development going on in the city. They have completely rebuilt the downtown, for example. Additionally, the university is putting in a ton of money into becoming a top research university and there are about to be significant construction efforts around campus. It's not the most sophisticated of places, but it's cheap, and Cleveland is nearby if you have a car. 

• 4 years later...