Waiting it out: Munk School MGA (Toronto) Fall 2015

IRbuff

Hey Guys! 

I thought I'd start (what I think is the first) forum for the Fall 2015 application session of the Munk school of Global Affairs. Feel free to post about your other potential grad schools, questions, comparisons etc. and get some solidarity going. Good luck to everyone!!

Applied to:

Munk MGA (Top choice contender)
Sciences Po (International Security)
LSE (Conflict Studies) (Top choice contender)
UOttawa (GSPIA)
Carleton (MA Poli Sci)
Balsillie School of International Affairs MA Global Governance
UToronto: MA Poli Sci

Edited by IRbuff

Balsillie is my top choice but I'm more than a little concerned about how few people they accept! Munk should be coming out in a few days, as well! :)

I had gone to Toronto last winter to visit. While i was there,  I took a ride and visited the BSIA! I gotta say, it is pretty freakin cool. They have a very nice campus and a stellar team of profs and not to mention CIGI itself. 

Edited by IRbuff

I'm applying to Munk, 

Balsillie is my top choice but I'm more than a little concerned about how few people they accept! Munk should be coming out in a few days, as well! :)

I have that exact same anxiety, too. Fifteen isn't very many, and four are on here. Though, to be fair, Munk is eighty and probably receives ten times as many applicants. Starting to think maybe I should have done more than two. 

I'm applying to Munk, 

I have that exact same anxiety, too. Fifteen isn't very many, and four are on here. Though, to be fair, Munk is eighty and probably receives ten times as many applicants. Starting to think maybe I should have done more than two. 

Is Munk actually competitive for domestic students? I was under the impression that they receive a lot of international applicants but with limited spots.

Is Munk actually competitive for domestic students? I was under the impression that they receive a lot of international applicants but with limited spots.

I think it's probably just as competitive for domestic applicants as it is for international applicants. I'm not sure if they have only limited spots for int'l applicants... I emailed some people over there to find out, but haven't heard back yet. 

Well I cannot tell you if these are official, but when i talked to a Munk student a few months ago, she told that it accepts 80/ more than 500-550 applicants. Again, I dont know if she was ball parking or if these were official figures etc. But I would assume that it would be pretty competitive. Considering how the program is still new and has already garnered so much attention for its research and faculty, I think in a bit of time it will start giving even US programs a run for their money (And certain Canadian programs ;))

Well I cannot tell you if these are official, but when i talked to a Munk student a few months ago, she told that it accepts 80/ more than 500-550 applicants. Again, I dont know if she was ball parking or if these were official figures etc. But I would assume that it would be pretty competitive. Considering how the program is still new and has already garnered so much attention for its research and faculty, I think in a bit of time it will start giving even US programs a run for their money (And certain Canadian programs ;))

I hope you are wrong because I put the least amount of effort into this application thinking it won't be competitive. :o

I hope you are wrong because I put the least amount of effort into this application thinking it won't be competitive. :o

I hope I'm wrong too :) It would be nice to get in.

Hey everyone!

Also, just to put it out there, I know I started this as a Munk forum, but if you guys want to more explicitly discuss stuff about other contending programs (BSIA, NPSIA etc.) please do so freely. Forums like these are important. especially for people who have questions, need advice, or just some solidarity to help us through the tough decision times. :)

Hi emmadreher!

do you mind if i ask you what attracts you to Balsillie over Munk? im trying to gague the strengths/weaknesses of all the schools i've applied to

While I would be happy with any of the schools I have applied to - my preference is Balsillie because of the professors that teach and conduct research there, as well as the partnership the school has with CIGI. I want to work in foreign policy so being able to study at and research with people active in that field would be really useful for me, I think.

HOWEVER, Munk is a phenomenal school and I would be just as happy to attend there, but I appreciate the almost guarunteed fellowship opportunities out of Balsillie - a friend of mine is there this year and literally everyone that was accepted was given a massive funding package (so that's very lucrative as well - a brilliant program with lots of money to share with its students! haha)

If you have any questions or want to chat feel free to shoot me a message :) Balsillie is right up the street from where I study right now!

thanks for sharing all that info! i dont know anyone at balsillie or even anyone else who applied so i appreciate the offer to chat! i might message you in the future if i have any questions  :)

I just spoke to the Munk school and they told me that the first round of offers will be sent out mid-March. :(

Interesting. Past years suggest that Munk usually sends out their acceptances earlier than mid-March. I didn't apply to Munk but I wouldn't be surprised if the program coordinator just tells people mid-March so they don't constantly request status updates. I know a lot of departments do it. The political science department website for Queen's says that acceptances are sent out in April when they are really sent out in late February and early/mid March. 

Interesting. Past years suggest that Munk usually sends out their acceptances earlier than mid-March. I didn't apply to Munk but I wouldn't be surprised if the program coordinator just tells people mid-March so they don't constantly request status updates. I know a lot of departments do it. The political science department website for Queen's says that acceptances are sent out in April when they are really sent out in late February and early/mid March. 

This is quite a relief. The wait time is already ridiculous and if I have to wait until mid-March, then.

This is quite a relief. The wait time is already ridiculous and if I have to wait until mid-March, then.

I think that's  a standard reply. If you look at the results page you will see that some people started getting their results around this time last year, whereas when on individual called Munk, they told them not to expect anything 'for another couple of weeks' (Middle of March). So not too sure how accurate the dept's official statement is.

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=Toronto+Global&t=a&o=&pp=100

I haven't heard anything, but I panicked a lot seeing this thread bumped. Balsillie seems odd most years they seemed to do February, but a few years they did mid-late March. I suppose no news is good news. 

Yea haha I think a lot of people are waiting to hear back. At this point it is between LSE and Munk for me. Really hope we all can hear back soon with some good news. It would also be better to know because some of us do have to start doing document and residence procedures for schools abroad in case this doesnt work out. Ah well...Anyone buying the mid-March statement from Munk or you think its just one of those things they say?

I think that's a general response from most programs because so I would expect sooner rather than later. No news is good news but I would rather news either way so I can start making plans if I decide to go abroad!

Agreed! Fingers crossed for a quick and happy reply :) Also, congrats on Leeds!!!

Edited by IRbuff

congrats on your acceptance emmadreher!

and I know exactly how you feel! I've been the same way since I got into my first program. now im even more anxious cause I got into another program hahaha!

congrats on your acceptance emmadreher!

and I know exactly how you feel! I've been the same way since I got into my first program. now im even more anxious cause I got into another program hahaha!

Congrats!!!