Waiting it out: Munk School MGA (Toronto) Fall 2015

IRbuff

I did hear back from Balsillie's MIPP (I also applied to the MAGG, which is my preferred program). They offered me a generous scholarship, too, at least when compared to Munk's. I'm hoping to hear back from MAGG soon, if not I might be rejecting the MIPP in favour of Munk, even though going to Balsillie (and staying in Waterloo — I'm a Laurier alumnus) would be the cheaper option. 

Hey, did you recieve an email acceptance from Balsillie's MIPP?

i havent decided yet but balsillie is definitely a top contender. im going to take the next few days to think it through. 

im really thrown off by these admissions committees. i dont know how i was offered admission to some programs above some other applicants with much higher stats than me. i also dont know why Munk and GSPIA offered me no funding whatsoever, yet npsia offered me 15k in scholarships, and balsillie offered me a CIGI fellowship (15k) plus scholarships. These admissions committees almost seem very arbitrary at times!!!! :wacko:

I didn't get any funding from Munk either. I think it's because I'm not such a super applicant and the average student at Munk is just better, so it's harder to get funding than at NPSIA? Balsillie has lots of money for a very small number of students.

On an unrelated note, did you guys submit a transcript including winter semester grades? I notice the admission is open in Oct when winter semester is ongoing. Please help out a prospect applicant and thanks!

On an unrelated note, did you guys submit a transcript including winter semester grades? I notice the admission is open in Oct when winter semester is ongoing. Please help out a prospect applicant and thanks!

I just submitted by grades in January after I got my winter semester grades. I believe that the deadline is Jan 26, so you have enough time to get a transcript from after the winter sem grades are posted.

i would think that the only people who would submit their application before the fall semester is over are people who already finished their undergrad and therefore already have all their grades on their transcript

Hey, did you recieve an email acceptance from Balsillie's MIPP?

Hey, yes I did receive an email acceptance from Balsillie's MIPP, but nothing else. I'll be refusing my offer tomorrow, though. So hopefully my spot goes to someone else on the wait list soon enough. 

I got accepted into munk today :)

I'm thinking of applying to the grad house but it seems really expensive ....

Congratulations!! See you in the fall!

Don't want to be off-topic but is it -possible- to get accepted with a 3.3?
I'm currently in U of T and I have 1 more year to go but even if I do my best I'll barely hit the 3.3 mark. Would someone with a 3.3, extensive volunteering experience and campus community/leadership jobs (work-study paid positions), fluent in Russian, Dari, Uzbek (grew up/lived in those countries) have a chance?
I was thinking of going to Munk or NPSIA, or whichever IR related graduate school I could get in to..

... even if I do my best I'll barely hit the 3.3 mark. 

If you really want to do this, the question should not be could someone with your GPA and profile get into the program? Instead, I'd be asking myself why aren't you already doing your best to give yourself a shot at getting in?

If you really want to do this, the question should not be could someone with your GPA and profile get into the program? Instead, I'd be asking myself why aren't you already doing your best to give yourself a shot at getting in?

You're right haha. Well, I'd like to think I'm giving my best, of course I understand I need to work harder though. Year 1 = 1.6, year 2 = 2.5, and I just finished my third year with 3.3 both semesters.

I guess I'm just curious if there are any other folks like me around.

Edited by ZayyQs

Don't want to be off-topic but is it -possible- to get accepted with a 3.3?

I'm currently in U of T and I have 1 more year to go but even if I do my best I'll barely hit the 3.3 mark. Would someone with a 3.3, extensive volunteering experience and campus community/leadership jobs (work-study paid positions), fluent in Russian, Dari, Uzbek (grew up/lived in those countries) have a chance?

I was thinking of going to Munk or NPSIA, or whichever IR related graduate school I could get in to..

Hi! Well i suppose it is based on the balance of what you have. 3.3 is on the baseline I believe. But, if you can make up for it with some good work experience, concentrated research interests, good personal statement, and good references....then the GPA will not matter all too much. If you have a look around the different forums on the site, you will see that there are students getting into really good schools for IR with baseline GPAs and the reason is because they have taken some time off in order to strengthen their work/practical experience. This doesnt mean you should take a few years to work, but just means that you should advertise yourself as well as possible-- your current work experience and other non-GPA related merits. You already speak multiple useful languages. All you have to do is be strategic and play to your strengths. GPA isnt everything, it just means that students who are told to to do something do it well. I dont believe it is a very good indicator of how well we think or what we are truly capable of. It may at most, signify how hard a worker you are, but there are other factors to consider. By the way, this is coming from someone who has done relatively well...just so you know. I have met tons of people much more intelligent, capable, and creative, (than I am) and with much less in terms of their GPA. Just try your best and sell yourself strategically :)

Edited by IRbuff

Hi! Well i suppose it is based on the balance of what you have. 3.3 is on the baseline I believe. But, if you can make up for it with some good work experience, concentrated research interests, good personal statement, and good references....then the GPA will not matter all too much. If you have a look around the different forums on the site, you will see that there are students getting into really good schools for IR with baseline GPAs and the reason is because they have taken some time off in order to strengthen their work/practical experience. This doesnt mean you should take a few years to work, but just means that you should advertise yourself as well as possible-- your current work experience and other non-GPA related merits. You already speak multiple useful languages. All you have to do is be strategic and play to your strengths. GPA isnt everything, it just means that students who are told to to do something do it well. I dont believe it is a very good indicator of how well we think or what we are truly capable of. It may at most, signify how hard a worker you are, but there are other factors to consider. By the way, this is coming from someone who has done relatively well...just so you know. I have met tons of people much more intelligent, capable, and creative, (than I am) and with much less in terms of their GPA. Just try your best and sell yourself strategically :)

Hey!

Thank you for that haha, I appreciate it :). That's the plan!

I got accepted into munk today :)

I'm thinking of applying to the grad house but it seems really expensive ....

Congrats, and welcome to the fold!

I applied to grad house, because it's not that expensive compared to most downtown Toronto housing, and its likely a lot easier than some other buildings, most of which have a lot of horror stories about poor management, pests, or robberies. Also, it's not a guarantee, just another option. So, I figured it couldn't hurt to apply! That said, I'm not banking on Grad house, merely exploring all options!

That said, if anyone's who has accepted the program is looking for a room mate somewhere in Toronto for next year, PM me, perhaps we could chat and see if it's something we're both interested in, or maybe try and get a group of us together if possible!

• 2 weeks later...

Do you guys know when classes start or when we should arrive to Toronto? Thinking ahead about booking flights :)

We have a noon - 3 class on September 8th according to the summer booklet they sent me!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...