Decisions 2015!

tacitmonument

Hi all! I'm creating this thread for two purposes. First, since we are getting closer and closer to making final decisions, I thought it would be nice to create a thread for applicants to share where they will be in Fall 2015. Second, I thought it might be helpful for wait-listed applicants to have a space where accepted applicants can note if and when they decline offers.

Best wishes to all!

I will most likely decline UIUC and Queen's in early March. Still waiting to hear from Michigan, Stanford and Cornell, after which I will probably also decline Vanderbilt. The school I'm most likely to be attending is Princeton, Dept. of Politics (I do political philosophy). 

I will most likely decline UIUC and Queen's in early March. Still waiting to hear from Michigan, Stanford and Cornell, after which I will probably also decline Vanderbilt. The school I'm most likely to be attending is Princeton, Dept. of Politics (I do political philosophy). 

Thanks for this!

I'm most likely going to be turning down Johns Hopkins in a week or two (after I've had a chance to talk things over with my letter writers). I'll later turn down UCSD or Georgetown, but that won't be until after visits, so early April. My current thinking is to stay on the waitlist at Pitt until April 15, and if there's no news from them, then accept at either UCSD or Georgetown, depending on which I like better after the visits.

I'm most likely going to be turning down Johns Hopkins in a week or two (after I've had a chance to talk things over with my letter writers). I'll later turn down UCSD or Georgetown, but that won't be until after visits, so early April. My current thinking is to stay on the waitlist at Pitt until April 15, and if there's no news from them, then accept at either UCSD or Georgetown, depending on which I like better after the visits.

Why automatically turn down JHU?

(longtime lurker here, I'm just curious)

Why automatically turn down JHU?

(longtime lurker here, I'm just curious)

It's not automatic - I would've been happy to go there if I didn't get in to some of my other places. But mainly because the research interests of the department don't line up as well with mine as the others. Georgetown seems to cover German philosophy with much wider scope and context (a good thing, in my eyes), and it would be amazing to work with Pinkard, since I tend to focus on Hegel in terms of history. UCSD doesn't have a big-name Hegel scholar like Georgetown does (though they do now have Allais who focuses more on Kant, and who would be great to work with), but they have some really cool interaction between history/German Idealism and logic, in Tolley and Sher. Tolley is probably the person whose interests line up best with mine at any university.

In terms of JHU, I think Forster's work is great, and they do have a Hegel person in Moyar (though he tends to be more on the social/political side), and I like Michael Williams's work on skepticism. But in general, UCSD and Georgetown seem to be increasing their focus on the convergence of things like German Idealism and epistemology/logic, while JHU seems a bit weaker in each and less focused on the convergence.

Also, I grew up in Maryland and spent a fair amount of time in Baltimore, and I really would rather not spend the better part of a decade living in Baltimore. But this isn't to say that JHU isn't a great place, or even that it isn't a great place for my interests.

Did anybody just see the post on the admissions results page about Columbia? I am in doubt as to whether the person actually received news from Columbia, or just wanted to express frustration. I didn't know if it was someone who posted here a lot or not?

I don't remember a Columbia one. I thought it said UCLA (?) Was it the one that told "acceptance collectors" to stop stroking their ego?

EDIT- I see the Columbia one now too. If it's the same person they need to give it a rest.

Edited by sidebysondheim

RE: Person who turned down MA at Western Michigan -- did you get notified today, and decline today? Wow.

I hope it helps my chances!

Edited by Turretin

Turretin, 

Yes. I'm pretty sure I withdrew my application about a week ago though, so it was kinda awkward receiving the email.

I hope it helps you too! And good luck with everything! 

Thank you for the update!

You're welcome!

I do hope you are admitted to Vanderbilt. As you know, it's such a wonderful program. Also, my contacts at VU were so gracious, helpful, and truly generous during the entire process!

To McGill or to University of Toronto? That's the question.

Any thoughts?

In my opinion, Montreal is a better city than Toronto to live in. But maybe it's just me.

I've also heard that Toronto has a *huge* department, which makes it hard to talk to everybody. But it also has a near 1-to-1 faculty-student ratio, which presumably makes it easier to talk to the ones you do want to talk to?

----

I've also just realized your acceptance is from IHPST, which means I'm probably either waitlisted or rejected  :o (haven't heard back from them.)

At any rate, congrats!

Edited by DontFly