What are you doing while you wait?

grad_fish

Trying to patiently wait for my results from my top choice.  It literally could be any day now (I made the finalist round three weeks ago).  So, today marks week three of stalking the acceptance board, hoping for some shred of hope.  I know I am not alone it obsessively checking my email, this forum, etc., so I am trying to keep busy.  Currently I am a masters of biology student, waiting to hear back about PhDs.

I'm curious what everyone else is doing as a distraction?  Last Friday, my anxiety was so bad I enjoyed a lovely two hour walk around campus (not productive, but calming).  Two weeks ago, I added an N64 emulator to my computer to help calm my nerves.  This week, it's posting on this forum, as well as reading through the science section of reddit.  Maybe I can get some new ideas, as well as other folks who are patiently waiting.  So, what odd things are you guys up to?? (it can't be just me)

I've been reading (rereading some older favorites as well as trying to find new books and authors to love), making friendship bracelets, playing on my 3DS, trying to finish up a big art project, and doing yoga and various other exercises. Also shoveling snow, my privilege as a resident of central NY.

Things I mean to do in the future include watching some science webinars and getting caught up with current genomic research.

I have been playing a lot of Tetris lately to help pass the time. I also signed up for a few community college courses to help me stay in school mode. Oh yeah and I bought a bunch of brick colored legos hahah I know it sounds silly, but I'm trying to build a replica of a building on my undergrad campus. Unfortunately, nothing is really helping me get through the waiting process. 

To prevent myself from pulling my hair out (literally) I am furiously knitting away at multiple projects. I think I've finished 6+ pieces this year alone. That, and marathoning Criminal Minds on Netflix at night. I've already gone through Bones and Friends. It's a mind-numbing ritual, but it gets me through to the next day.

If I could knit-I would.  Netflix is happening every night though.....

I've been reading (rereading some older favorites as well as trying to find new books and authors to love), making friendship bracelets, playing on my 3DS, trying to finish up a big art project, and doing yoga and various other exercises. Also shoveling snow, my privilege as a resident of central NY.

Things I mean to do in the future include watching some science webinars and getting caught up with current genomic research.

No snow here so that isn't an option....  but, I'm with you on rereading a favorite book.  That is a great idea.

I have been playing a lot of Tetris lately to help pass the time. I also signed up for a few community college courses to help me stay in school mode. Oh yeah and I bought a bunch of brick colored legos hahah I know it sounds silly, but I'm trying to build a replica of a building on my undergrad campus. Unfortunately, nothing is really helping me get through the waiting process. 

I'm still in school, but building with legos......

Working out.  Get a 30 day pass for a gym.  Seriously, you'll be so exhausted you won't have time to think, and afterward, you'll feel less stressed, too.

I do that every morning anyways..... but I agree with you.  I would be even worse off if I didn't.  Exercise

I'm just letting the stress overwhelm me. Maybe it will be good practice for if/when I get in?

HAHA it's true though.  But maybe try doing something else?  It's good to find something that helps you deal with stress and anxiety (even though admission stress is way more intense).

is great for stress relief... 

I almost want to go out and get some now....

1. Check e-mail.

2. Check application status.

3. Refresh email.

4. Refresh application status.

5. Check the GradCafe page with admission results.

6. Panic.

7. Try breathing exercises/yoga/actually doing something productive.

8. Panic.

Repeat multiple times. 

More seriously, I am trying to think about something else by reading, watching TV, going on walks. talking with my friends or working on projects. Good luck to you all fellow applicants :)

Edited by Tianmeihua

I really have trouble focusing on productive things while I'm waiting, such as reading books related to my field, writing for my academic blog, and so on, so I end up watching a bunch of comedy shows usually... then panicking about not being productive enough and everyone in my field is speeding ahead while I'm watching It's Always Sunny reruns... I also find it hard to hang out with people because talking about ~plans~ one way or the other makes me feel like I'll jinx myself :unsure: so I'm basically being a hermit

Full time schedule at school including my research and 3 upper division chemistry labs, working 2 jobs totaling to 30 hours per week, and having dinner with friends when I can. I had every intention of getting back in shape this semester, but I'm so exhausted everyday that the last thing I want to do is run. It's funny because I just ran a marathon in September and now my physical fitness has gone downhill. Oh well, I'll get back into it eventually!

Edited by dpowe003

1. Check e-mail.

2. Check application status.

3. Refresh email.

4. Refresh application status.

5. Check the GradCafe page with admission results.

6. Panic.

7. Try breathing exercises/yoga/actually doing something productive.

8. Panic.

Repeat multiple times

This except step 7 is: force myself to grade students work.

Add another step: step 8 fiddle with PowerPoint to redo my defense seminar for the trillionth time. Obsessively check email for rough draft notes from my PI instead of for admissions.

Return to list: step 9, panic.

I survive on patience.  Things I am waiting for:

1) The ending to Pirates of Dark Water

2) Darksiders 3 and 4

3) Good MFA news

My world will explode with excitement if any of this comes to pass.

And I've waited over three years for Guts to get off a boat, I can handle anything.

Keeping myself as busy as possible. I'm taking 13 credits, plus I work three jobs, and most of my free time is spent in the lab. I'm even spending my afternoons there through all of spring break. Otherwise, reading books and watching a lot of TV. I should finish season ten of Stargate SG-1 tonight.

Vacation from my work. Just booked the tickets a few hours ago. Hopefully I can enjoy myself and not run to the nearest cyber cafe any chance I get.

I'm going to enjoy myself, I'm going to enjoy myself, I'm going to enjoy myself.