Ok, so I'm here, Now what?

sunshine6

I did it. I am an east coaster who never imagined herself living in the Midwest. Yet, here I am in the so called "Grain Belt." I've been told I can't be from New Jersey, I don't have the accent and apparently Minneapolis is a crime ridden city. You have to lock your door with one dinky deadbolt.

Other than that, I'm digging my adopted city. That Mary Tyler Moore was on to something!

Moving from New York, I've been told I have an accent and that Minneapolis is safe.

People also see my New York plates and give me extra room on the highways.

I'm getting my Upass and public library cards today. I've been to the Target, and for a brief moment I thought I would walk out the door and see Route 1 just like back at home... :) I like the downtown, but I'm really enjoying Uptown and REALLY glad I didn't move closer to campus.

You have to wait until you've registered for classes to get a U-Pass (if you're getting the student-discounted one for the semester), if you haven't already been told that. You're pretty much a second-class citizen until you've registered for classes (can't get a U-Pass, or a student ID, or use the secure wireless networks,...) I still haven't been to Uptown, and I'm not sure if I ever will.

They don't have Meijer out here, and I think that's been the single biggest obstacle for me so far. I've quite literally felt overwhelmed the first few times I've gone shopping. I mean, once you've had churned style low-fat chocolate moose tracks ice cream that's delicious and regularly priced at $2.50 for a half gallon, how can you ever go back to anything else?

I know that Minneapolis is safe, but most people from Minnesota (especially those not in the immediate metro area) think it's terrible just because it's the only big city around. Then again, everywhere seems safe compared to some of the major cities I grew up near (Detroit/Flint/Saginaw).

Even worse--I was looking for refried beans, and they weren't with the normal beans. They were halfway across the store in the 'Mexican' section, they had no chilis in them, and they cost nearly four dollars. When refried beans are considered 'ethnic food', you're in deep prairie.

Anyways, I should stop! I need to get this out of my system online so that I don't seem like a spoiled coastal brat in real life. I really am enjoying a lot of other things about the place. Like the beer store on my street that's open until 2 AM! Goodbye, crappy government stores that close at 9!

Even in Texas, where refried beans are commonplace, you'll find them in the 'ethnic foods.' However, when I was in College Station, any decent grocery store had at least two aisles dedicated to 'ethnic foods.' That is to say Tex-Mex took up almost an entire aisle. Then you had space for Asian, Kosher, Mediterranean, and a few European-specific items. That said, I was once given a great recipe to make refried black beans. They're FABULOUS! I don't do refried beans in a can anyway, but these are even better than using pinto beans.

I'm a little leary of trying TexMex in Georgia. I've seen a few places around town and there appear to be some chains. I'm more inclined to wander into a hole-in-the-wall joint than one of the big boxes, though.

You have to wait until you've registered for classes to get a U-Pass (if you're getting the student-discounted one for the semester), if you haven't already been told that. You're pretty much a second-class citizen until you've registered for classes (can't get a U-Pass, or a student ID, or use the secure wireless networks,...) I still haven't been to Uptown, and I'm not sure if I ever will.

They don't have Meijer out here, and I think that's been the single biggest obstacle for me so far. I've quite literally felt overwhelmed the first few times I've gone shopping. I mean, once you've had churned style low-fat chocolate moose tracks ice cream that's delicious and regularly priced at $2.50 for a half gallon, how can you ever go back to anything else?

I know that Minneapolis is safe, but most people from Minnesota (especially those not in the immediate metro area) think it's terrible just because it's the only big city around. Then again, everywhere seems safe compared to some of the major cities I grew up near (Detroit/Flint/Saginaw).

Yeah, I registered for classes just for the purpose of getting an ID and a U pass, 'cause I'm running out of quarters really quickly. I'm not so concerned about murder or crime, it's the damn tornadoes that kind of freak me out. I heard this siren noise and thought, "OH MY GOD!!! where's the cellar like in the movies??!" I'm right by Lake Calhoun, and while normally I'm not a lake person, it's actually really nice. One of these days I'll get up to Lake Harriet... You can sign up for the email/internet id without being registered yet and get wireless and use the library computers/computer labs.

It's funny how no one beeps their horns in Minnesota. I've heard it once on the bus, and it just soft little tap, not the way I'm used to where you lean on that horn so it goes full blast for about 2 minutes.

Yeah, I registered for classes just for the purpose of getting an ID and a U pass, 'cause I'm running out of quarters really quickly. I'm not so concerned about murder or crime, it's the damn tornadoes that kind of freak me out. I heard this siren noise and thought, "OH MY GOD!!! where's the cellar like in the movies??!" I'm right by Lake Calhoun, and while normally I'm not a lake person, it's actually really nice. One of these days I'll get up to Lake Harriet... You can sign up for the email/internet id without being registered yet and get wireless and use the library computers/computer labs.

It's funny how no one beeps their horns in Minnesota. I've heard it once on the bus, and it just soft little tap, not the way I'm used to where you lean on that horn so it goes full blast for about 2 minutes.

I'm living on the other side of uptown -- in the area where uptown and lynlakes intersect. It's really nice and there are a lot of cool things in the area. My department registered me for classes so I ddin't have to worry about that kind of stuff.

Ugh, I just moved into my place in Long Island on Sunday. I don't think I like it here.

CONS

1. My apartment is next to the worlds scariest Walmart.

2. I rented a room in a six bedroom home, thinking I would meet people that way....but everyone keeps to themselves. Its so non-communal that my bathroom has 4 rolls of toilet paper! If I can't share toilet paper with these people, I guess friendship is out of the question.

3. My car has a leaky radiator and the jackass mechanic up here must have noticed that I am a young female and gave me an OUTLANDISH quote.

4. Its ugly here, really really ugly. I grew up in Jersey, in a cute seashore town, then lived in Chicago....I like scenery. I got spoiled by lovely views. This area of Long Island looks like dilapidated strip mall hell.

5. Liqueur store closes at 8. Roommate says they all do.

6. Bought minimal groceries, paid exorbitant amount of money. It was like buying Aldi food at Whole Foods prices.

PROS

1. Nail salon near my house has 16.00 mani/pedi, Mon-Thurs.

2. Cute/non-depressing town within driving distance. Cute seafood restaurant has bomb crabcakes.

3. At least I wont be distracted.

4. Room is big and has lots of room for clothes.

I cannot wait to start classes.

Seacrest, out.

Ugh, I just moved into my place in Long Island on Sunday. I don't think I like it here.

Where in Long Island? Sorry you're not liking it so far, but there are lots of really nice places in Long Island. Go exploring other towns and you'll probably find a lot of them.

For those of you claiming you miss new Jersey, sell it to me, because I am still at "oh God, what have I done moving to New Jersey?!"

Now, which part of the Armpit are we talking about? Northern New Jersey, Central, Redneck-of-the-North Southern Jersey?

Ah New Jersey....

Where the weather during the summer includes an ozone warning.

Where the oil refineries light up the night sky like Christmas lights.

Where you can live your entire life and still not be able to figure out where other people in your state live unless they tell you their exit on the Turnpike.

Where the World Class Shop Rite really is World Class... At least til Wegmans came along.

Where God dammit you need a car.

Where traffic tends to be a lifestyle, not a rush hour thing.

Where the state university is named after a guy who was in fact from NY and had nothing to do with the school or the state.

Where you can still catch plenty of Revolutionary War re-enactments and see famous historical sites of the 18th century, so shove it Massachusetts.

Where you sometimes find yourself wondering where the "garden" in the "garden state" went.

Where at least two presidents made their homes: Woodrow Wilson and Grover Cleveland.

Where you occasionally happen on nice little towns that are not totally mass produced subdivisions.

New Jersey.... Where you're never far away from somewhere you actually want to be.

I grew up in Jersey, in a cute seashore town, then lived in Chicago....I like scenery. I got spoiled by lovely views. This area of Long Island looks like dilapidated strip mall hell.

I was under the impression that "dilapidated strip mall hell" would be a perfect definition for Jersey. When I got accepted to Rutgers, the first reaction of every single person who heard (parents, friends, fellow students, professors) was "yeah, but you'd have to live in New Jersey". When I went to visit, the description of the area I got from everybody I talked to at Rutgers and Princeton said "well yeah, it's in New Jersey, but at least NYC is just a one hour train ride away". I didn't think it was thaaat bad when I visited, but I'm sort of glad I didn't have to find out what people were talking about the hard way over 5 years.

(sorry RiverRunner, I'm sure the area has many redeeming qualities that wouldn't be known to people not as familiar with the area).

I've been living in Princeton, NJ for the last three months as part of a summer research thing at a local research lab here. (Unaffiliated with, but literally across the street from

So far so good with NJ transit. Have also been down to visit Princeton. Princeton is WAY nicer than New Brunswick.

I also got the "well, you would have to live in New Jersey" response, but Rutgers had the best offer, so here I sit. Its not awful. I'm just broke, and the heat and humidity are making me cranky ; ) I am loving the pizza, its nice to have chinese delivery, and LOVE public transit, especially decent public transit, which NJ transit is compared to where I came from. So all is well.

Princeton, NJ is one of the nicer places I've seen to live.

Princeton is indeed a nice place. But then again...it is Princeton. New Brunswick... Rutgers is also not the prettiest college campus, although given that I grew up near Princeton, my view of how a college campus should look is somewhat stilted.

Oh New Jersey, take me back! I'm sorry I cheated on you all those years with the City, and now with Minnesota... I didn't mean it!!

"yeah, but you'd have to live in New Jersey".

When I got my acceptance to Princeton I got that response too. My step-dad said, 'oh lucky you! You can visit my ex-wife!" which I think says it all....

When telling my friends abroad who didn't know where Princeton was, I have to admit I was embarrassed to say New Jersey, so I told them it was an hour outside of New York....not that they know about New Jersey...I think I was embarrassed to admit it to myself!

Reading the posts I feel a bit less nervous about moving there, but why oh why is car insurance so damn expensive??