So, what are you watching?

I don't know about you guys, but in the final stretch of this application season--waiting on funding, waiting on one or two schools, waiting on waitlists-- is brutal, anxiety-inducing, and just plain distracting. There's something about seeing some people with all their proverbial ducks in a row that makes the time feel more panicked and crunched than it should be (we've got over a month to get/make decisions, right?). 

So in light of the ever-present need for distractions--what films or shows are you watching these days?

I just watched (now Oscar-winning) Ida. I thought the cinematography was gorgeous but didn't like the rest of it too much. I would've preferred if Timbuktu or Leviathan won. Birdman was lots of fun! Two Days, One Night with Marion Cotillard is one of my favorite movies of the past 5 years, hands down.

(And as for trashy pulp TV, I'm dying for Scandal!)

Oh, Birdman was definitely worthy of best picture. I watched Whiplash on the weekend, and it's perhaps the most intense movie I have ever seen. J. K. Simmons and Miles Teller were incredible.

Thank heavens for Netflix. I binge watched Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries and I'm completely bonkers about it. 

I also love that you can tell we're all English scholars because we italicize the titles.

Thank heavens for Netflix. I binge watched Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries and I'm completely bonkers about it.

OMG. The fashion. I want to raid Miss Fisher's wardrobe.

I watch... a lot of TV. Like, a lot. My favorite new shows are Agent Carter, Empire, Jane the Virgin, and Fresh Off the Boat-- all of which have amazing women characters.

I'm also mourning the end of Parks and Rec. I'd insert a gif of Sad Batman here, but I'm on my phone.

I'm watching house of cards and eagerly awaiting the return of Orange is the New black. And I might be looking forward to the return of Outlander don't judge me I'm ashamed already.

Edited by CarolineKS

OMG. The fashion. I want to raid Miss Fisher's wardrobe.

I watch... a lot of TV. Like, a lot. My favorite new shows are Agent Carter, Empire, Jane the Virgin, and Fresh Off the Boat-- all of which have amazing women characters.

I'm also mourning the end of Parks and Rec. I'd insert a gif of Sad Batman here, but I'm on my phone.

Here you go!

giphy.gif

Yup, my wife and I are mourning the loss of P&R too. We always watch our weekly shows on Hulu the day after they air...and suddenly, without P&R and Agent Carter (high five for loving it too!) our Wednesday nights are empty!

Frankly, it's a good time for TV these days. You couldn't say that five years ago. Game of Thrones, Mad Men, The Leftovers, Modern Family, John Oliver...all excellent. We need to get caught up on Justified, Hannibal, and House of Cards at some point as well. I'm sure there are other shows we watch regularly...I just can't think of any right now.

Oh. Duh. Can't forget about the British stuff like Luther, Sherlock, Broadchurch, Whitechapel, The Fall, Black Mirror, and...Doctor Who, of course. ;)

Edited by Wyatt's Torch

Last fall when I was in the thick of research and beginning to choose programs, I finally watched Buffy: The Vampire Slayer and oh my god I am already eager to re-watch it. 

Every time I've applied to school (for college, for transferring to another college, for grad school) I rewatch the episodes of Gilmore Girls where Rory is applying to Harvard and Yale. I find it oddly comforting.

Oh, Birdman was definitely worthy of best picture. I watched Whiplash on the weekend, and it's perhaps the most intense movie I have ever seen. J. K. Simmons and Miles Teller were incredible.

Okay, I keep hearing this. Going to have to watch Whiplash for sure!

Fresh Off the Boat is so good. SO GOOD. And Constance Wu is the best part.

Jessica-Huang-good-at-everything.gif

AGH. How did I forget Fresh off the Boat? It's one of the the only shows I look forward to week to week, especially because of Wu.  

Oh oh oh and  RuPaul's Drag Race just started back up!

tumblr_inline_mihc4cnTD71qz4rgp.gif

Last fall when I was in the thick of research and beginning to choose programs, I finally watched Buffy: The Vampire Slayer and oh my god I am already eager to re-watch it. 

Yeah, it's been five years, so it's probably time for me to do a Buffy rewatch at some point as well. There are some legitimately awful episodes ("Beer Bad" sticks out...), but the good ones and even the average ones make it worthwhile. If I remember correctly, Hypervodka has done some academic work involving Buffy...

Incidentally, Nicholas Brendon (Xander) was just in an enjoyable indie sci-fi / thriller / horror film called Coherence. Definitely worth watching if you like mind-bending...er...sci-fi / thriller / horrors.

Did anyone see the movie Mr. Turner?  I just watched that this weekend and thought it was pretty incredible.  The  cinematography was mindblowing -- these transitions from J.M.W. Turner painting to the landscapes he'd walk around in made the actual landscapes and his own paintings of them seem indistinguishable at times... gorgeous.

I've been sick and a little stressed about getting things done before I miss a couple days of classes, so I've been watching "easy" tv like How It's Made, Seinfeld, and The Golden Girls. There may or may not have been some Ben and Jerry's involved. ;)

I'm in the middle of several shows. If I would have thought about majoring in film freshman year, my obsession would probably be worse. 

1. Walking Dead

2. Fresh Off the Boat

3. Lie to Me

4. Scandal (I've only seen the first two episodes since the mid-season finale)

5. Elementary

6. Project Runway (I say this with no shame)

7. White Collar

I'll think of more later. My television obsession is endless. 

A few shows: 1) The Golden Girls (yesterday, today, tomorrow), Designing Women, and Any Day Now, an awesome show about two best friends--one black, one white-who go through life together in the South. It mainly takes place in the present (1998-2002), but it also features flashbacks to the 60s. Love it.

A few shows: 1) The Golden Girls (yesterday, today, tomorrow), Designing Women, and Any Day Now, an awesome show about two best friends--one black, one white-who go through life together in the South. It mainly takes place in the present (1998-2002), but it also features flashbacks to the 60s. Love it.

I have to start watching Designing Women again. Suzanne Sugarbaker is my spirit animal. 

Y'all are making me feel old. I used to watch both Designing Women and Golden Girls when they were originally on air...

I did too. With my mom when I was a kid. I'm 30.