So, what are you watching?

Me too! Though I have to admit, I'd forgotten about Designing Women.

I actually preferred Designing Women to Golden Girls, though my wife was definitely a Golden Girls fan. She's still close friends with a few of her high school classmates, and they have a whole host of Golden Girls in-jokes that I only half understand...

I actually preferred Designing Women to Golden Girls, though my wife was definitely a Golden Girls fan. She's still close friends with a few of her high school classmates, and they have a whole host of Golden Girls in-jokes that I only half understand...

Yeah, I think it's just that Golden Girls has run in syndication on a variety of stations ever since it has gone off the air, whereas I haven't seen a peep from Designing Women in twenty years or so.

I totally get the in-jokes though, oh yes. I have them too with one of my gal pals :)

Everything. I mean that almost literally lol. I'm currently DVRing/watching Black Sails, Once Upon a Time, Secrets and Lies, Shameless, General Hospital, The Voice, Jane the Virgin, Scorpion, Fresh Off the Boat, Pretty Little Liars, Agents of Shield, Being Mary Jane, The Challenge, American Idol, Survivor, Criminal Minds, Empire, Blackish, Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, Chicago PD, Gotham, The Blacklist, American Crime, Elementary, Cristela, Girl Meets World, The Fosters, and Glee. I'm pretty current on almost all of those except OUAT, Shameless, Jane the Virgin, and Black Sails. Probably going to catch up on those over spring break. I was also watching How to Get Away With Murder, Sleepy Hollow, Masterchef Jr., and Agent Carter, but all of those recently wrapped up their seasons.

On top of all that, I'm also in primarily media-related classes this semesters, which results in me watching a approximately ten hours of movies and tv shows every week.

So yeah...I watch a lot of stuff...lol

P.S. The Golden Girls is probably one of my favorite shows of all time :D

Edited by toasterazzi

I'm...uh...catching up on The Walking Dead. I watched the first season when it was on, and was underwhelmed toward the end, and never bothered with the following few seasons. My wife started rewatching it about a year ago, and I caught an episode or too before actively watching the second half of last season...and getting hooked. So I've gone back to watch season 2, 3, and the first half of 4...and I'm wondering why I lost interest in the first place. It's definitely a guilty pleasure, but then I've always been a closet horror fan.

I'm...uh...catching up on The Walking Dead. I watched the first season when it was on, and was underwhelmed toward the end, and never bothered with the following few seasons. My wife started rewatching it about a year ago, and I caught an episode or too before actively watching the second half of last season...and getting hooked. So I've gone back to watch season 2, 3, and the first half of 4...and I'm wondering why I lost interest in the first place. It's definitely a guilty pleasure, but then I've always been a closet horror fan.

It's harder to tell when you go back and binge watch, but season 2 was super boring and easy to lose interest in when it first came out.  Waiting a week in between each episode and spending that whole week thinking "maybe they'll finally leave the farm" or "maybe the sophia storyline will play out now" was awful.  

Season 3 is pretty good, season 4 gets even better, and season 5 has been absolutely bonkers.  The show has gotten so much stronger since season 2 - writing, characterization, sets, pacing, everything.  I'm so excited for the last three episodes of season 5!

I haven't watched the show but if you like it at all then READ THE COMICS. They are phenomenal, and (I find) an even better distraction than TV. Kirkman is a genius.

Edit: I don't know about the show but the comics are more "how does society and the individual function/exist in post-apocalyptic world" and not really horror. Not sure if it's of interest.

Edited by pannpann

Edit: I don't know about the show but the comics are more "how does society and the individual function/exist in post-apocalyptic world" and not really horror. Not sure if it's of interest.

Oh, that's definitely the thrust of the show as well. Don't get me wrong -- zombies eating people is part of the show's appeal -- but it is definitely more about the inevitable societal shifts that come in the face of an apocalypse.

I'm not saying it's high art (it's not), but it does have some intellectual value amidst the admittedly enjoyable gore-fest.

I've been watching Orphan Black. Two days ago, I finished the last episode of Season 2, and I can't wait for Season 3 to be available. When Continuum and Extant return, I'll be watching those too. Coincidentally, the third season of each come out during my one-class semester!!!

Edited by Aspireperspireinspire

Last fall when I was in the thick of research and beginning to choose programs, I finally watched Buffy: The Vampire Slayer and oh my god I am already eager to re-watch it.

Every time I've applied to school (for college, for transferring to another college, for grad school) I rewatch the episodes of Gilmore Girls where Rory is applying to Harvard and Yale. I find it oddly comforting.

YESSSSSSS, to everything Buffy and Gilmore Girls!!!! Call me ridiculous, but I love the movie as much as the series: two very different products, but each with their special "somethings."

I'm mostly watching old episodes of Criminal Minds and Friends, and some fave. chick flicks, i.e. Teen Witch and Dirty Dancing. But Hell's Kitchen just started back up???

Edited by angel_kaye13

Has anyone else been watching Better Call Saul?  Between Bob Odenkirk's dialogue (and Matlock suit), Jonathan Banks' fascinating backstory, and Michael McKean running around in a space blanket stealing newspapers, I'm hooked.  The show has far surpassed my expectations, especially for a spin-off.

Just wanted to give a shoutout to The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Jane Krakowski brings joy into my life... and now so does the former-D'Fwan.

My wife and I have been binging this today. Delightful. :)

I am currently starting season 6 of X-files. It is actually my first time watching the series. I am kind of embarrassed to admit that since it's been out for quite awhile and now I am constantly trying to avoid hearing anything about it for fear of spoilers...but better late than never!

I am currently starting season 6 of X-files. It is actually my first time watching the series. I am kind of embarrassed to admit that since it's been out for quite awhile and now I am constantly trying to avoid hearing anything about it for fear of spoilers...but better late than never!

tumblr_inline_mom8hlQn3Z1qz4rgp.gif

Seconding TUKS, it's amazing.

I've recently been sucked into Empire-- watched half the season last night. It's super soap-opera-y (like Downton Abbey, another favorite) and so, so captivating!

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone else interested in HBO's Girls? I'm just finishing the most recent season. Hannah's grad school sojourn was far too brief, I thought. Overall, I haven't cared much for the season and might not stick around for the next one. The show's become a bit too Broad City-ish for me, if that makes sense.

Is anyone else interested in HBO's Girls? I'm just finishing the most recent season. Hannah's grad school sojourn was far too brief, I thought. Overall, I haven't cared much for the season and might not stick around for the next one. The show's become a bit too Broad City-ish for me, if that makes sense.

Are you actually saying that Girls is better than Broad City and that the former becoming more like the latter is a bad thing? 

tumblr_m98m8zOsaY1rzy8sso1_400.gif

(If you can't tell, I loathe Girls.)

Ha, great gif! I enjoyed the first season of Broad City when it was shiny and new, but this last season . . . skewed a bit young and safe for my tastes. Reminds me too much of Workaholics. Too hammy, too little substance. Not funny. Not memorable.

Girls can be even more insufferable and pretentious, but I always thought it had more potential. But this last season . . . there's not much growth there either.