MFA arts 2015: FUNDING AND DECISIONS

Milkyways

Posted this in the Freakout as well-- Anyone accepted to Carnegie Mellon actually going?? 

I have done SO much research and very close to my decision. 

Hey Marchy. I was accepted this last week (I'm assuming one of the initial prospectives turned down their offer). I also did a lot of research and am leaning towards declining the offer. Still doing some pretty serious thinking tho. What about you?

Can't decide between a couple schools right now. Tyler offered me a free semester in Rome but then can't guarantee me funding the other 3 semesters, which really sucks because I want to go there the most. Im torn about it but I feel I may have to decline. I just can't justify taking out all those loans so I am really leaning towards Hunter starting in the spring. Hunter is soooooo cheap for NY and is also a really good school. Of all the highly ranked MfA programs it has to be the best bang for your buck. 

Im also on the waitlist for VCU though and really want to see how that works out as well.

I also interviewed with Columbia a few weeks ago and still haven't heard back. I know they probably won't offer much funding (and i therefore wouldn't go) but it bothers me that I haven't heard back. Gaaahhhh I thought I would have figured all this out by now. Maybe I am just bad at making decisions?

I vote for Hunter. I did my undergraduate there, and think it a fantastic program. I also turned down BIG funding from another school in order to accept Hunter for MFA.

It is definitely inexpensive relative to most other schools, but NYC is very expensive. Nevertheless, it is NYC and the city's art world does pay attention to Hunter graduates, attending open studios and the thesis exhibits.

Good luck on your decision.

Hey Marchy. I was accepted this last week (I'm assuming one of the initial prospectives turned down their offer). I also did a lot of research and am leaning towards declining the offer. Still doing some pretty serious thinking tho. What about you?

Congrats on acceptance! I have been having the hardest time determining whether I want to spend the next 3 years in P-burgh. The school seems wonderful though. Big decision.

Posted this in the Freakout as well-- Anyone accepted to Carnegie Mellon actually going?? 

I have done SO much research and very close to my decision. 

Out of curiosity, what is the dilemma around going to Carnegie Mellon?  It was my impression that it is a highly competitive and respected program. 

Out of curiosity, what is the dilemma around going to Carnegie Mellon?  It was my impression that it is a highly competitive and respected program. 

It's been quite a long discussion. I believe it comes down to the fact that it's still relatively expensive (3 years paying 9 K each + living expenses), which would still  require a 50-something-k loan, alongside the presumption it seems to be focused on/limited to Pittsburgh's art scene. I guess people think that if they need to get a study loan, they might as well re-apply to programs that are better connected/located in more artistically open areas. I'd say the program is in a gray area where you're not sure if it is worth the price tag or if in the end you'll probably get the same from lesser known programs that offer better funding. The quality of the program hasn't been under any discussion, it is a very good and innovative program. I would have gone if i had had the money  B)

Edited by Milkyways

Hey everybody. I know someone has already brought this up at some point, but does anybody know of any sources of funding for grad students in the arts NOT related to particular schools?

Hey everybody. I know someone has already brought this up at some point, but does anybody know of any sources of funding for grad students in the arts NOT related to particular schools?

Carter, I think the thing with these funding sources is that they are very specific. They often depend on the region, the media, the message of your work, your gender and nationality. I myself have only found a couple that would work for me (international female), but I get the impression there are lots of them for residents.

http://www.aauw.org/what-we-do/educational-funding-and-awards/american-fellowships/

http://www.newyorkartists.net/category/grants-for-artists/

https://www.elizabethgreenshieldsfoundation.org/

Finding funding is something that requires lots of research and I'd say the best way to go is to google "grants for artists" and progressively select the ones that work for you.

I also am pretty sure that your universities have financial offices with complete data bases of external funding opportunities. I believe UCLA, or USC ( I really don't remember) have made these databases public. It's worth checking the funding opportunities in big universities since they often apply for any school.

Edited by Milkyways

Carter, I think the thing with these funding sources is that they are very specific. They often depend on the region, the media, the message of your work, your gender and nationality. I myself have only found a couple that would work for me (international female), but I get the impression there are lots of them for residents.

http://www.aauw.org/what-we-do/educational-funding-and-awards/american-fellowships/

http://www.newyorkartists.net/category/grants-for-artists/

https://www.elizabethgreenshieldsfoundation.org/

Finding funding is something that requires lots of research and I'd say the best way to go is to google "grants for artists" and progressively select the ones that work for you.

I also am pretty sure that your universities have financial offices with complete data bases of external funding opportunities. I believe UCLA, or USC ( I really don't remember) have made these databases public. It's worth checking the funding opportunities in big universities since they often apply for any school.

Thanks Milkyways!!  Much appreciated.

I have done research previously, but not for school funding. It's such a daunting task.

I can't remember, but have you decided on Northwestern? or have you changed your mind?

Repeat post from Freakout Forum... curious to know when most here are notifying schools of their decisions to attend -- right after that "aha" moment, or down to the 4/15 wire?

I'm down to the wire...still working on my pros and cons list.

222…Milkyways pretty much nailed it. You're right, it IS a great program! From what I understand there is ample funding in the city of Pittsburgh (and through the school) to do pretty much a great extent of work while there. One's work tends to be highly regarded and supported on many levels due to association with the CMU name. Having chances for it to be seen by the larger art community, if that's something you're after, seems like more of a challenge. But not an impossible one if you're tenacious. 

Repeat post from Freakout Forum... curious to know when most here are notifying schools of their decisions to attend -- right after that "aha" moment, or down to the 4/15 wire?

Pros and cons list is being made tomorrow…so yeah…down to the wire here as well. 

I don't think calArts offers more than 20k. I've received 14k scholarship + 20.5k of loans. I know a student who received a 20k scholarship but that was maximum.

Thanks.

I received 20 k and was accepted to an MA program--not mfa-- Aesthetics and Politics. I was also accepted to Hunter MFA and trying to decide between the 2 programs. If anyone has any insight on LA vs NYC

I am interested in theory and can apply for different MFAs next year and try to get full funding then or go on to do my phd after Calarts.

Anyone have thoughts on the theoretical rigor of Hunter, faculty, etc. I liked the work I saw in the open studios just feel it is more hands off given the size of the program.. 

Visited both and not much time left to decide.

Thanks.

I received 20 k and was accepted to an MA program--not mfa-- Aesthetics and Politics. I was also accepted to Hunter MFA and trying to decide between the 2 programs. If anyone has any insight on LA vs NYC

I am interested in theory and can apply for different MFAs next year and try to get full funding then or go on to do my phd after Calarts.

Anyone have thoughts on the theoretical rigor of Hunter, faculty, etc. I liked the work I saw in the open studios just feel it is more hands off given the size of the program.. 

Visited both and not much time left to decide.

This is what I've heard, nothing from experience, but it might help.

I've heard Hunter is not so strong in theoretical rigor as a program per se (heard this from an mfa student-curator), but with the amount of faculty and visiting artists you would probably find a niche (Calarts offers you the opposite, a very thorough- yet limited- concentration in critical studies and theory ). Hunter has tons of people coming and you are close to other important universities in case you want to attend their events too.

I would go to NYC for academic purposes, and LA for the overall life experience. 

Finally committed to going to Tyler, and SFAI called out of the blue and offered me a huge scholarship (basically free school). Looks like I am SF bound! 

ps. bargaining can work guys! 

Finally committed to going to Tyler, and SFAI called out of the blue and offered me a huge scholarship (basically free school). Looks like I am SF bound! 

ps. bargaining can work guys! 

That's great news! SFAI and SF sounds awesome :) Congrats! 

This is what I've heard, nothing from experience, but it might help.

I've heard Hunter is not so strong in theoretical rigor as a program per se (heard this from an mfa student-curator), but with the amount of faculty and visiting artists you would probably find a niche (Calarts offers you the opposite, a very thorough- yet limited- concentration in critical studies and theory ). Hunter has tons of people coming and you are close to other important universities in case you want to attend their events too.

I would go to NYC for academic purposes, and LA for the overall life experience. 

Yeah it seems like Hunter is very much a DIY program, opportunities and connections you have to find yourself and be very motivated but they do have a lot of visiting artists. There aren't paid TAships until after 1st year and I was offered TAships both semesters at Calarts. Even though calarts isnt an MFA i think it might give me a strong foundation in a 1year program, improving writing and reading and make me a stronger candidate for reapplying to mfas afterwards, but at the same time, it might not..

Well, good news is I got into my MFA dream program, the only one I applied to.  Bad news is the cost.  Parsons is going to be $60K a year if you include tuition plus expenses.  Spoke to the financial aid people and they were pretty much '¯\_(ツ)_/¯.'  I know it will be worth it, and I'm mostly likely going to say yes and put down the deposit now.  It's just... such a depressing way to start off a new chapter.  I don't mind having some student loans, and with scholarships and work opportunities I guess you make it all work.  I feel like the good news of getting in is now completely overshadowed by the stomach sinking news of not knowing how to pay for rent.  All the answers, too, don't provide much in the way of reassurance - my program is pretty unique, so it's not an MFA program geared towards the merit based 'support great painters' type of scholarships.  I wish I could not spend my time doing a cost-benefit analysis and concentrate on the excitement of the experience and prepping for the fall.  I guess that would be asking too much, though... :/

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you.  I only applied to three schools, but MICA was always my dream school.  The other two programs turned me down, but miraculously I got into MICA.  I was ecstatic, and then immediately terrified by the amount of debt I'd need to go into to make it happen.  Ultimately, I decided that the idea of turning down my first choice school was too hard to handle and that the loans would be worth it.  Hopefully our gamble pays off!  Congrats to you for getting into your dream program!

So this is a little off-topic, but I have just accepted an offer for a PhD in Anthropology at Columbia, starting this autumn.

Any Columbia MFAs interested in buddying up for university accommodation? The registration form permits named flatmate preferences.

While leaving this to chance could be fun, why not try to find someone likeminded in advance via the internets? PM me if you're game.

Pulling my hair out. Was offered 24k in scholarship and 20.5k in loans for CalArts. San Diego State University (SDSU), which is in my town, however, pretty much gave me full tuition. Both are MFA programs in Graphic Design.

I'm stuck between the school of my dreams and a local school with a small reputation - should I jump the gun and take loans for CalArts or take the full ride at SDSU?

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!

Pulling my hair out. Was offered 24k in scholarship and 20.5k in loans for CalArts. San Diego State University (SDSU), which is in my town, however, pretty much gave me full tuition. Both are MFA programs in Graphic Design.

I'm stuck between the school of my dreams and a local school with a small reputation - should I jump the gun and take loans for CalArts or take the full ride at SDSU?

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!

How much total loans would u have to take out for cal arts? What kind of graphic design?

How much total loans would u have to take out for cal arts? What kind of graphic design?

The program I applied to for CalArts is the MFA in Graphic Design. I was offered 24,000 in scholarship and 20,500 in loans. Assuming I get the same aid for each year for the 3-year Graphic Design program, that's roughly $61,500 in loans (plus whatever interest that accrues). The other option I'm currently considering is an MFA in Visual Arts at SDSU, with an emphasis in graphic design - I received enough financial aid there to cover all of tuition.