I/O Applicants 2010!

fuddy

Hey atjacks, welcome to the board. I applied to Purdue, BGSU, OU, and MSU as well and I heard back from MSU by mail...didn't get in. Haven't heard back from any of those other schools though. You're from Oklahoma eh? Do you attend OU now? If so, can you tell me anything about their I/O program? I applied there as well.

Hey mks483, I currently attend OSU not OU. My HRM Professor had done some work with a couple of the faculty from OU. Other than that, I do not have any insider information. Sorry.

Hi GBear,

I would not start to panic. How are your references? 3 pubs is HUGE! Especially coming from undergrad! I am sure you will begin hearing by next week. It doesn't seem that anyone has heard from these schools so your not alone. It is still early. Hang in there!!! (Jeez, I wish I could take my own advice...I am a nervous wreck too ; )

Thanks for the reassurance! :) References are solid. Two are research advisors, one of which has good connections at a couple programs, the other is my mentor and chair of the psych department. Next week?! Ahhhh!!!

I know I'm just chiming in here, but I can probably direct you to someone at OU or tell you what I know. I'm not attending that program, but I've been working on a handbook chapter with my professor and the editor is Dr. Mumford (she went to OU for her PhD in I/O and he was her advisor). I've learned a lot about the program from my professor (who I think is awesome, and she clearly got great research training there. She just won a prestigious award for a publication on leadership that resulted from her dissertation, and she's very early in her career). They have a really strong program and I've heard good things. I can also share some other tidbits, let me know and I can PM you.

Hey Alexis. Sure, feel free to PM me with whatever you have; my primary interest is actually leadership so your professor's experiences are probably pretty relevant to what I want to do. Thanks for chiming in!

First off - hope this is a great week for everyone!

I'm under the impression that TC Columbia gives pretty minimal funding to students. Has anyone else heard of this/had experience with TC? Looks like they have formal phone interviews February 25th and 26th with faculty members and grad students.

First off - hope this is a great week for everyone!

I'm under the impression that TC Columbia gives pretty minimal funding to students. Has anyone else heard of this/had experience with TC? Looks like they have formal phone interviews February 25th and 26th with faculty members and grad students.

It says on their website that they only give partial tuition remission to accepted PhD applicants. I have heard from other people that funding is definitely an issue.

Thanks Sadiem! That is a lot of snow!! NYC colleges also closed today (although I am sure just for today). I appreciate the voice of rationality :)

Good luck to you!

I had an instructor who went to TC for the Social/Org Psych PhD and he did tell us that funding was definitely an issue (lack of), but he knew that going in but he really wanted to work with a specific Professor there.

Good Luck to EVERYONE this week!!

Ok...so today was Brutally Quiet. I have so much trouble concentrating on anything else :unsure:...so instead of lurking around on GC aimlessly, I figured I would provide some useful advice, which I wish I had gotten back in early January.

Note to future applicants (or myself if I do not get in this round..sigh..cry): As soon as you drop your last application in the mail, take off to some remote island with minimal internet connection for a solid 2 months (just tack this expense to the application bill ; ). Be sure to bring an arm full of trashy, mindless novels and some sunscreen. When you get back home, you will not have missed anything (i promise) and you will have saved yourself from absolute insanity! Your only job will be to sift through your application decisions which will be patiently waiting for you.

Man. The Big Ten does not like me. Rejected from Michigan State, Minnesota, and Illinois. But the Big 12 likes me for some reason, got in to Oklahoma and Colorado State. Hopefully this trend doesn't continue though, I'd really like to get in to PSU! Anyone else heard anything??

Man. The Big Ten does not like me. Rejected from Michigan State, Minnesota, and Illinois. But the Big 12 likes me for some reason, got in to Oklahoma and Colorado State. Hopefully this trend doesn't continue though, I'd really like to get in to PSU! Anyone else heard anything??

When did you hear from OU? I have yet to hear from them.

Congrats!! You are so lucky to have so much information at this point! Can you please fill us in on when and how you heard from the schools (email/calls/website).

Thanks and congrats again! And if you hear anything from PSU PLEASE let us know...that's a popular choice and no one has heard anything yet. If you don't mind my asking, who did you apply to work with PSU? (you can PM me if you prefer).

Congrats!! You are so lucky to have so much information at this point! Can you please fill us in on when and how you heard from the schools (email/calls/website).

Thanks and congrats again! And if you hear anything from PSU PLEASE let us know...that's a popular choice and no one has heard anything yet. If you don't mind my asking, who did you apply to work with PSU? (you can PM me if you prefer).

For real...I applied to PSU and hate having to wait!

Does anyone know much about Seattle Pacific University's PH.D program? I applied and was invited to interview with them, but I'm still unsure if I want to go there. I'm wondering how much religion plays into their program.

Hey guys...I found out from CSU and OU via phone call (OU actually called me on my birthday on Tuesday, so that was exciting!). The OU orientation is next weekend, so I don't know what that means for those who applied and haven't heard yet. I'm sure not everyone who was accepted will go there, so if you're on a waiting list then have no fear. MSU and Illinois sent me a letter, and Minnesota sent me an email indicating that the letter was available online.

It seems to me (and if the last post is in fact true) that a lot of programs have sent out their offers already and will be having visitation times in early/middle March. But obviously the decisions won't be made for a while after, so I'm keeping hope that I'll hear from some of my top top choices.

I'll PM you MissRyan!

I had an informal meeting in early January with two faculty members, but I think my meeting next week is an official interview. How did your interview go?

Hey- congrats to you! Early January? Wow, that was fast. Their app deadline was Jan 1! Who did you interview with if you don't mind my asking...

Is next weeks interview via phone or in person?

My interview went ok, pretty casual as well. Welcome to the forum

Hey guys...I found out from CSU and OU via phone call (OU actually called me on my birthday on Tuesday, so that was exciting!). The OU orientation is next weekend, so I don't know what that means for those who applied and haven't heard yet. I'm sure not everyone who was accepted will go there, so if you're on a waiting list then have no fear. MSU and Illinois sent me a letter, and Minnesota sent me an email indicating that the letter was available online.

It seems to me (and if the last post is in fact true) that a lot of programs have sent out their offers already and will be having visitation times in early/middle March. But obviously the decisions won't be made for a while after, so I'm keeping hope that I'll hear from some of my top top choices.

I'll PM you MissRyan!

Happy Birthday mks! Thanks for filling us in. I actually contacted my POI at Portland today and found out that I was no longer in the running... :( She did say that they have 4 slots this year for nearly 100 applications. I am sooo sad, but glad to have found out sooner rather than keeping up false hope.

Happy Birthday mks! Thanks for filling us in. I actually contacted my POI at Portland today and found out that I was no longer in the running... :( She did say that they have 4 slots this year for nearly 100 applications. I am sooo sad, but glad to have found out sooner rather than keeping up false hope.

Thank you! And sorry to hear about Portland, I know a lot of people applied there and I didn't even really think about it but now I wish I had, although 4/100 doesn't leave much room! The notices will come flooding in for us come early March, just wait and see!

I'm sorry to hear about this as well, but I'm a firm believer that things always happen for a reason -- and I'm sure the school you end up going to will be a great experience. I'm scared to contact them, so I'll probably just wait! :X. I can't believe they only have 4 spots...that's so intense and competitive.

I'm sorry to hear about this as well, but I'm a firm believer that things always happen for a reason -- and I'm sure the school you end up going to will be a great experience. I'm scared to contact them, so I'll probably just wait! :X. I can't believe they only have 4 spots...that's so intense and competitive.

Thanks SO much, the7pep! I am sad, but getting over it rather quickly (what else could I do). I wish all the rest of u luck with Portland; it is seemingly an amazing school (and city)!

Thanks for letting us know. Did you accept elsewhere, Peter?

Hey, is anyone planning on attending SIOP?

Yeah, I decided to accept an offer from an OB program instead. It was such a difficult decision to decline the offer from Maryland -- the students and the faculty were very nice, warm, and accommodating throughout the entire process.

Still on the fence about SIOP...are you going?

Yeah, I decided to accept an offer from an OB program instead. It was such a difficult decision to decline the offer from Maryland -- the students and the faculty were very nice, warm, and accommodating throughout the entire process.

Still on the fence about SIOP...are you going?

Well congrats! I am sure you made the best decision.

I haven't booked anything yet, but I am pretty sure I am going. I need to begin planning! If you decide to go, let me know!

Just found out i've been wait listed at UCONN

Rejected at LSU (they never got my transcript- how can an undergrad institution screw up so bad?)

Accepted at Roosevelt University in Chicago

Havent heard from:

Ohio University

George Washington

Clemson

Harvard

NC State

UNC Charlotte

Old Dominion

Akron

Looks like i'm a real bubble candidate.

OU said they would have all letters out by the end of February... bad news i haven't heard anything yet? Anyone else hear from any of those schools? Or want to decline an offer at UCONN for that matter ;)

Just found out i've been wait listed at UCONN

Rejected at LSU (they never got my transcript- how can an undergrad institution screw up so bad?)

Accepted at Roosevelt University in Chicago

Gbear,

Are these Masters or PhD programs (or both)?