I/O Applicants 2010!

fuddy

Hey everyone my classmates and I are working on a potential TIP article and have the data from each SIOP since 08. We are essentially trying to see who the most active schools are as far as research goes. We are breaking it down by university, but if each presentation/poster has more than one author from the same school that only counts as one. I have only finished a handful thus far but here is the list.

1. University of South Florida 128

2. George Mason University 127

3. Michigan State University 126

4. University of Central Florida 114

5. University of Minnesota 101

6. Pennsylvania State University 91

7. University of Maryland 85

8. Bowling Green State University 63

9. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 59

10. Central Michigan University 32

I thought all of you may find this information useful when applying/deciding where to go as you can't always be sure how active each university is with research. This is all the data I currently have. If anyone wants me to look at a particular school let me know and I will try to get to it.

Thanks for this information! Which years are included in your study, and are you only counting poster presentations made at SIOP?

In the business field, I know that UT Dallas has been keeping track of business research productivity by looking at how many professors from each business school have been published in top-tier management journals. It would be interesting to see a listing of all the top-tier journals in I/O, and then track how many psychology professors are publishing in those outlets every year. Similarly, it would be interesting to see if we can make a distinction between the I-side and the O-side, and see what the productivity indices are per school.

Thanks for this information! Which years are included in your study, and are you only counting poster presentations made at SIOP?

In the business field, I know that UT Dallas has been keeping track of business research productivity by looking at how many professors from each business school have been published in top-tier management journals. It would be interesting to see a listing of all the top-tier journals in I/O, and then track how many psychology professors are publishing in those outlets every year. Similarly, it would be interesting to see if we can make a distinction between the I-side and the O-side, and see what the productivity indices are per school.

We are using poster presentations as well as symposiums/panel discussions/special events, etc. Basically anytime a person affiliated with a particular program/university is presenting at SIOP. We are using data from 08,09,and 10. I don't know if we could tease out the side with the info we have. We just have the subcategory the person chose when they submitted the poster/symposium to SIOP, but I agree that would be useful.

Publication information would also be useful, but I think SIOP presentations attack it from a little bit of a different angle, because you get to see research that is currently going on at the universities whereas publications can take 3-4 years to get into journals after revisions, etc.

Edited by iopsych

We are using poster presentations as well as symposiums/panel discussions/special events, etc. Basically anytime a person affiliated with a particular program/university is presenting at SIOP. We are using data from 08,09,and 10. I don't know if we could tease out the side with the info we have. We just have the subcategory the person chose when they submitted the poster/symposium to SIOP, but I agree that would be useful.

Publication information would also be useful, but I think SIOP presentations attack it from a little bit of a different angle, because you get to see research that is currently going on at the universities whereas publications can take 3-4 years to get into journals after revisions, etc.

Very cool. My school is presenting at SIOP this year on a study I'm currently a lab supervisor on (but unfortunately I won't be there)...I hope over the years we can start inching up that list :)

Here are the top 20 programs at SIOP based upon representation: I only used PhD I/O psychology programs according to SIOPs website. Keep in mind this is for 08,09,10. Each poster/symposium/panel, etc. counts as one. For example if USF had 4 individuals on one panel that would count as one for them. If there was also one person from George Mason on that panel that would count as one for that program also.

1. University of South Florida 2. George Mason University 3. Michigan State University 4. University of Central Florida 5. University of Houston 6. University of Minnesota 7. Texas A&M 8. University of Maryland 9. Pennsylvania State University 10. Portland State University 11. University of Georgia 12. Bowling Green State University 13. University of Illinois 14. Clemson University 15. Purdue University 16. Florida Tech 17. Wayne State University 18. UCONN 19. Akron 20. Oklahoma

I also thought I would give you the top 5 schools with the most representation at SIOP this year too (I don't know if anyone has this data yet): 1. Michigan State University 2. University of Central Florida 3. University of South Florida 4. George Mason University 5. University of Maryland

Here are the top 20 programs at SIOP based upon representation: I only used PhD I/O psychology programs according to SIOPs website. Keep in mind this is for 08,09,10. Each poster/symposium/panel, etc. counts as one. For example if USF had 4 individuals on one panel that would count as one for them. If there was also one person from George Mason on that panel that would count as one for that program also.

1. University of South Florida 2. George Mason University 3. Michigan State University 4. University of Central Florida 5. University of Houston 6. University of Minnesota 7. Texas A&M 8. University of Maryland 9. Pennsylvania State University 10. Portland State University 11. University of Georgia 12. Bowling Green State University 13. University of Illinois 14. Clemson University 15. Purdue University 16. Florida Tech 17. Wayne State University 18. UCONN 19. Akron 20. Oklahoma

I also thought I would give you the top 5 schools with the most representation at SIOP this year too (I don't know if anyone has this data yet): 1. Michigan State University 2. University of Central Florida 3. University of South Florida 4. George Mason University 5. University of Maryland

Very cool. Thanks for this information! Are you guys also controlling for the number of people currently in the program? I imagine that if there are more people (faculty and students) in the program, then that program has more of an advantage. Just a thought =)

Very cool. Thanks for this information! Are you guys also controlling for the number of people currently in the program? I imagine that if there are more people (faculty and students) in the program, then that program has more of an advantage. Just a thought =)

We haven't really thought through exactly what to control for although that would be one good idea along with whether the professor/student is in the business school. Those are just the raw numbers I put on here.

Anyone hear from Michigan State yet? I got a rejection letter today, but I was accepted to FIU. 1/2 so far, not terrible but I would have loved to at least get waitlisted at the #1 IO program! They should come piling in over the next two weeks now, I'm excited.

The acceptance letter to FIU says that I must respond to the acceptance letter within 14 days of receipt, but obviously I have no idea if I want to go there due to the fact that the majority of places I applied to have not given me word yet. Anyone else run into this? What are you guys doing if you are accepted but want to see what answer you get from other programs??

Anyone hear from Michigan State yet? I got a rejection letter today, but I was accepted to FIU. 1/2 so far, not terrible but I would have loved to at least get waitlisted at the #1 IO program! They should come piling in over the next two weeks now, I'm excited.

The acceptance letter to FIU says that I must respond to the acceptance letter within 14 days of receipt, but obviously I have no idea if I want to go there due to the fact that the majority of places I applied to have not given me word yet. Anyone else run into this? What are you guys doing if you are accepted but want to see what answer you get from other programs??

I thought (by APA standards) they have to give you until April 15th to make a decision..? 14 days seems rather unfair, especially being so early in the game. I am not sure what the best practice is in this situation...lets hope you hear from your top choice schools within the next two weeks (but if you get waitlisted that would be a much longer wait). Sorry I can't be of more help..

CONGRATS on the acceptance! Because I also applied to FIU, when did you get the letter? And did your status change on your online application? thx.

P.S. You applied to PhD programs, right? Your Member info does not indicate that.

Edited by MissRyan

I thought (by APA standards) they have to give you until April 15th to make a decision..? 14 days seems rather unfair, especially being so early in the game. I am not sure what the best practice is in this situation...lets hope you hear from your top choice schools within the next two weeks (but if you get waitlisted that would be a much longer wait). Sorry I can't be of more help..

CONGRATS on the acceptance! Because I also applied to FIU, when did you get the letter? And did your status change on your online application? thx.

P.S. You applied to PhD programs, right? Your Member info does not indicate that.

Thanks for the congratulations, much appreciated! I just got the letter yesterday, and it was a standard thin letter in a regular envelope. Same size as the rejection letter from MSU so I thought I was rejected at FIU as well! I haven't checked my online status, but as soon as I do so I will let you know. FIU is not one of my top schools, and I definitely want to get out of Florida so chances are that spot will open right back up. And yes, they were all PhD programs except George Mason that I applied to.

The letter says that I am not guaranteed an assistantship and tuition waiver, but it is possible that I will. I guess they have a waiting list for the financial assistance, that's what they say in the letter. Then it says "This decision will be made later in the year and after you confirm to us your decision to enter the program. Please do so in writing as soon as possible by emailing the graduate secretary within 14 days of receipt of this letter"

...Sooo I don't know, I guess if I definitely want to go there I need to say yes within 14 days? Strangely worded, and obviously I'm not used to this stuff!

Thanks for the congratulations, much appreciated! I just got the letter yesterday, and it was a standard thin letter in a regular envelope. Same size as the rejection letter from MSU so I thought I was rejected at FIU as well! I haven't checked my online status, but as soon as I do so I will let you know. FIU is not one of my top schools, and I definitely want to get out of Florida so chances are that spot will open right back up. And yes, they were all PhD programs except George Mason that I applied to.

The letter says that I am not guaranteed an assistantship and tuition waiver, but it is possible that I will. I guess they have a waiting list for the financial assistance, that's what they say in the letter. Then it says "This decision will be made later in the year and after you confirm to us your decision to enter the program. Please do so in writing as soon as possible by emailing the graduate secretary within 14 days of receipt of this letter"

...Sooo I don't know, I guess if I definitely want to go there I need to say yes within 14 days? Strangely worded, and obviously I'm not used to this stuff!

Thanks for the info. I would take a week and half just waiting to hear from other schools (this should be an active week), then take it from there. Sticky situation, but at least you have a little time. Worse case scenario you could bite the bullet and contact the POI's at your first choice schools (assuming you have been in contact with them throughout the application process) and try to find out some info about your status.

I will send good vibes your way!

Thanks for the info. I would take a week and half just waiting to hear from other schools (this should be an active week), then take it from there. Sticky situation, but at least you have a little time. Worse case scenario you could bite the bullet and contact the POI's at your first choice schools (assuming you have been in contact with them throughout the application process) and try to find out some info about your status.

Congrats! I'm not speaking from personal experience - just from obsessively reading about experiences on here and elsewhere. It is my understanding that they technically have to let you wait until April 15th, but certainly want to pressure you to make a choice as soon as possible so they can continue down their list if need be. Especially because you don't think you're super interested, I'd wait a week at least. If you're still not sure, e-mail and ask them for an extension to be sure you're making the right decision, etc. I think people have done this successfully in the past.

Has anyone heard from TC Columbia, Depaul, or GW? Good luck to everyone this week!

Hey MissRyan, just checked my FIU page and they did change the status, there is a green check mark that indicates "Admitted" now. I assume you received a pantherID or whatever they call it after you filled out the application as well? Good luck with everything!

Congrats! I'm not speaking from personal experience - just from obsessively reading about experiences on here and elsewhere. It is my understanding that they technically have to let you wait until April 15th, but certainly want to pressure you to make a choice as soon as possible so they can continue down their list if need be. Especially because you don't think you're super interested, I'd wait a week at least. If you're still not sure, e-mail and ask them for an extension to be sure you're making the right decision, etc. I think people have done this successfully in the past.

Has anyone heard from TC Columbia, Depaul, or GW? Good luck to everyone this week!

Good advice, I'll certainly do something along those lines. The next 2 weeks should clarify some things for sure so I have a good while before I need to let them know. Never heard the April 15th thing, so that's good to know as well.

I applied to GW and I haven't heard anything yet.

Good advice, I'll certainly do something along those lines. The next 2 weeks should clarify some things for sure so I have a good while before I need to let them know. Never heard the April 15th thing, so that's good to know as well.

I applied to GW and I haven't heard anything yet.

Found it!!!

http://www.cgsnet.org/Default.aspx?tabid=201

That's a link to the Council of Graduate Schools site explaining the April 15th deadline. If you open the PDF file it has a list of all of the participants of the resolution. =)

I have applied to all 3 (TC, DePaul and GW) and have not heard a thing yet. Its been really quiet = really stressful. :unsure:

I have applied to all 3 (TC, DePaul and GW) and have not heard a thing yet. Its been really quiet = really stressful. :unsure:

Hey, I don't know about the others but I live just down the road from GW and everything here is under ~3 feet of snow. It's so bad today that the city actually had to call off plowing the roads! That's gotta be a first: too much snow to run the snow plows. ;) Schools (including colleges) have been closed since last Thursday and probably won't reopen until Friday at the earliest. Then we're getting another snowstorm on Monday. So don't take the lack of any word from GW as a bad sign. It may just mean that no one can get into the school to review applications right now and they're probably going to be a bit later than usual this year with their decisions. Hope you both get in!

Hey, I don't know about the others but I live just down the road from GW and everything here is under ~3 feet of snow. It's so bad today that the city actually had to call off plowing the roads! That's gotta be a first: too much snow to run the snow plows. ;) Schools (including colleges) have been closed since last Thursday and probably won't reopen until Friday at the earliest. Then we're getting another snowstorm on Monday. So don't take the lack of any word from GW as a bad sign. It may just mean that no one can get into the school to review applications right now and they're probably going to be a bit later than usual this year with their decisions. Hope you both get in!

Agreed, I live in midtown (60 blocks south of Columbia) and the city here is shut down. Universities included.... We all need to keep that in mind (myself included)...good luck to all!

MissrRyan, I PMed u!

Hey All

I applied to:

NC State

UNC Charlotte

UCONN

George Washington

Akron

Ohio University

LSU

Harvard

Clemson

Old Dominion

Anyone heard from any of those yet? I'm coming right from undergrad and didn't apply to any masters programs and am starting to make myself nervous. 1200 GRE's 3 publications, and a 3.8GPA... Should i start finding some masters programs?

Thanks Sadiem! That is a lot of snow!! NYC colleges also closed today (although I am sure just for today). I appreciate the voice of rationality :)

Good luck to you!

Hey All

I applied to:

NC State

UNC Charlotte

UCONN

George Washington

Akron

Ohio University

LSU

Harvard

Clemson

Old Dominion

Anyone heard from any of those yet? I'm coming right from undergrad and didn't apply to any masters programs and am starting to make myself nervous. 1200 GRE's 3 publications, and a 3.8GPA... Should i start finding some masters programs?

Hi GBear,

I would not start to panic. How are your references? 3 pubs is HUGE! Especially coming from undergrad! I am sure you will begin hearing by next week. It doesn't seem that anyone has heard from these schools so your not alone. It is still early. Hang in there!!! (Jeez, I wish I could take my own advice...I am a nervous wreck too ; )

Hey everyone,

This is my first post. Has anyone been accepted to the University of Tulsa? If so, are you attending the visitation day?

Additionally, I have applied to the following schools:

* Purdue

* BGSU

* SLU

* UMSL

* Texas A&M

* UNO

* University of Tulsa

* OU

* MSU

* Radford University

I have heard from TU, UNO, and Texas A&M. Has anyone heard from the other schools yet?

Hey everyone,

This is my first post. Has anyone been accepted to the University of Tulsa? If so, are you attending the visitation day?

Additionally, I have applied to the following schools:

* Purdue

* BGSU

* SLU

* UMSL

* Texas A&M

* UNO

* University of Tulsa

* OU

* MSU

* Radford University

I have heard from TU, UNO, and Texas A&M. Has anyone heard from the other schools yet?

Hey atjacks, welcome to the board. I applied to Purdue, BGSU, OU, and MSU as well and I heard back from MSU by mail...didn't get in. Haven't heard back from any of those other schools though. You're from Oklahoma eh? Do you attend OU now? If so, can you tell me anything about their I/O program? I applied there as well.

Hey atjacks, welcome to the board. I applied to Purdue, BGSU, OU, and MSU as well and I heard back from MSU by mail...didn't get in. Haven't heard back from any of those other schools though. You're from Oklahoma eh? Do you attend OU now? If so, can you tell me anything about their I/O program? I applied there as well.

I know I'm just chiming in here, but I can probably direct you to someone at OU or tell you what I know. I'm not attending that program, but I've been working on a handbook chapter with my professor and the editor is Dr. Mumford (she went to OU for her PhD in I/O and he was her advisor). I've learned a lot about the program from my professor (who I think is awesome, and she clearly got great research training there. She just won a prestigious award for a publication on leadership that resulted from her dissertation, and she's very early in her career). They have a really strong program and I've heard good things. I can also share some other tidbits, let me know and I can PM you.

Edited by alexis