University of the Pacific

Hi guys, did anyone apply to/get accepted to the University of the Pacific in Stockton? I just got admitted, which I was not expecting! I don't know too much about it, and mostly applied because a 2-year track for an out-of-fielder sounded appealing. Plus I'm from MI so moving to CA sounded like an improvement lol. Does anyone have any insights into the program?

Congrats!! Yeah, tuition isn't the best. And they didn't mention anything about funding or scholarships...plus I imagine the cost of living in that area is quite high?

I unfortunately can't go to the open house because I'm already visiting a school on that day! Are you planning to go?

Native Californian here: cost of living in stockton is incredibly cheap, compared to anywhere in the SF Bay. Stockton is a suburb of sacramento (which is a cooler area than stockton imo). Stockton isn't exactly the best city, but north Stockton, Elk Grove are inexpensive safe cities. They are boring suburbia though…

Also, from their info sessions, UoP does not fund. They essentially claim that they don't need to since their program is so short, and there are loan forgiveness programs.

Native Californian here: cost of living in stockton is incredibly cheap, compared to anywhere in the SF Bay. Stockton is a suburb of sacramento (which is a cooler area than stockton imo). Stockton isn't exactly the best city, but north Stockton, Elk Grove are inexpensive safe cities. They are boring suburbia though…

Thanks for the info! I guess I'd take boring suburbs over crazy expensive cities! I had this stereotype notion that everywhere in CA was outrageously expensive. Do you mean that Stockton isn't the best city because it's boring or because it's unsafe? 

Also, from their info sessions, UoP does not fund. They essentially claim that they don't need to since their program is so short, and there are loan forgiveness programs.

Yikes. That's not reassuring. It's not like their program is so short that it's affordable--I don't have tens of thousands of dollars just laying around. Do you know how the loan forgiveness programs work? Are they through employers?

Thanks for the info! I guess I'd take boring suburbs over crazy expensive cities! I had this stereotype notion that everywhere in CA was outrageously expensive. Do you mean that Stockton isn't the best city because it's boring or because it's unsafe?

The only parts of CA that are expensive are the SF Bay and greater LA.

Stockton is seen as the Detroit of CA. Though I've been to Stockton and uop with no problems, I would still live in Elk Grove or North Stockton.

As for loan forgiveness, I *think* you have to work in a low income school for some time. UoP itself should have more info on this.

The campus is beautiful and all of the buildings are new. Plus you'll be close to this: http://youtu.be/yunwTSfbAyI

I agree with all of what Chandru1 says. 

1. Cost of living is cheap because it's out in the boonies. 

2. It gets HOT, because it's inland. 

3. CA is fun, but Stockton not so much. You COULD always drive up to Elk Grove ("South" Sacramento) and downtown Sac for things to do. Also, because you're close to Sacramento, that means you're close to Tahoe and Reno, and even Napa. Stockton to SF is approximately 1.5 hours so you're definitely close enough to visit SF on those longer weekends. 

I've been told that you have to dedicate a few years to schools or non-profits to qualify for loan forgiveness. Congrats on your UOP acceptance!

Just a side note, Stockton is dangerous. If you move there please live in a safer area/gated building and be aware of the crime rate there. Might be very different form where you're coming from.

I agree with everything everyone has said so far, being a native Californian who is now in Grand Rapids for grad school.  I will add that getting done quicker really is a big stress reliever.  Grad school will be time consuming no matter if it is an accelerated program or traditional so getting it done quicker is a few semesters of less stress of classes, projects, etc.  The real learning is done in the field on externships/internships, etc.  I would highly recommend an accelerated program.

As far as stockton being a bad place or not.  Like others have said, yes it may have a reputation as not the safest, but like others mentioned, there are ALWAYS good areas of any city and areas to avoid.  So don't let that freak you out.  

Also about the loan forgiveness.  In California at least you just have to work in a low socio economic school for 5 years (which is actually almost every school in California when I checked the list!).  And if you do medical, there is a 10 year commitment forgiveness program which can be harder to get because you could be into your 7th year and your medical placement could all of a sudden not qualify anymore so you would have to switch jobs to qualify.  

All in all, I would recommend giving it a serious look.  Like others have said, so many nice tourist areas are close by like:

Lake Tahoe/Reno

Yosemite National PArk

Big Redwood Forests

San Francisco

Mammoth ski resort

Wow everyone--thank you SO much for all your helpful information. Honestly if nothing else, I'm pretty convinced by Chandru's pizza commercial.  :P

I'm pretty familiar with crime-ridden neighborhoods--Detroit is like half an hour away from me and I go there pretty frequently. I think the situation here sounds pretty similar to what you all have said so far--just live in the suburbs/a nicer area instead of downtown, be aware of your surroundings, and it'll be fine.  :)  

All the surrounding areas/touristy things you guys mentioned seems like a dream! I would LOVE to be able to visit all those places. Thank you so much for the recommendations for things to do! 

I really wish I could go visit the school before the confirmation deadline. They really don't give you much time to respond at all...but I will definitely seriously consider U of P. Especially because of what you said, twinguy--an accelerated program is so appealing.

Does anyone know about the atmosphere of the school/department itself? It's clinical, not research-based, right? And what are the practicum opportunities like? Do they specialize in any particular field (adults, medical, pediatrics)? What is the program's local reputation?

Again thank you SO much for all your insights!!!

If memory serves, they are extremely clinical based, and don't specialize in any particular field.

Locally, UoP is seen as a good option, comparable to the other options (in NorCal, those options are the public cal states). In fact, I'd consider UoP better than the Cal States, but this is partially due to my UC snobbery. They have placements all over the area, and in the Bay/far Northern California.

And you're going to love living here! Today stockton has a high of 72 degrees.

HA today in sunny MI it's like 35 degrees?  <_<

The only major issue I'm having with choosing a school is that UT Dallas gave me a really big scholarship, so I feel like I sort of don't have a choice to go anywhere that doesn't offer funding. I just don't know if I can justify tens of thousands of dollars more in debt to go to a different school. Although, loan forgiveness has peaked my interest so I will look into that...I see you got accepted to UT Dallas too! Maybe see you there :)

I think it depends on what you want to do as a career. Since I am interested in research as well as clinical practice, I'd choose Dallas over Pacific. Plus, they are actually cheaper even though I'm out of state for Dallas (I got some money as well). Also they have research opportunities, which are nonexistent in Pacific. But Pacific has such a short program…

Also, I'm going to Dallas so you definitely want to go there! XD