Hey y'all,

I thought there was a thread along these lines somewhere already, but now I can't find it.  Just wondering what some of your plans are this summer before you start your programs, thinking maybe it can be a help to those who are trying to figure things out still.

I'm currently paying the bills through teaching, so this summer is a big questions mark for me.  I'm moving down to Chicago this summer and looking for opportunities for summer teaching programs and paid internships with non-profits.  I'm hoping to be able to take an intensive summer language class for the beginning of the summer, but that's looking less and less likely as I look at the limited job options out there.  It's also hard to apply for jobs at my new university since I'm not technically a student yet, I don't think.

Anyone else going through this process right now?  I would love to have the luxury to just take my class and relax with some books until September (or at least take my class and then have a job for August through September), but unfortunately that's not looking like an option.

They are not internships per se, but jobs at NORC at UChicago may be of interest to you: http://www.norc.org/WorkingAtNORC/Pages/default.aspx.

Thanks for sharing!  Looking into this...

Have you looked into the summer programs at Northwestern for K-12 students? I believe they're hiring...

I actually just applied to be a teaching assistant for one of their summer programs!

I pay the bills by manning a backcountry ranger station, so I will print out every article in my future field I can get my hands on, fill a box full of the books I think will be important, and -- you know, nature and stuff.

Out of upvotes but this sounds amazing! 

I used to be really into Kerouac in my high school days and I remember reading (in Dharma Bums, I think?)  about his experiences spending time in one of those fire lookout posts. That was my dream summer for a long time!

I will likely be working. If that winds up being part-time, then my plan is to start Rosetta Stone's Level 1 Italian course. I know there are likely better resources out there for learning Italian for translation purposes, but since I have a copy of the Rosetta Stone software on hand, I figure it can't hurt as a primer.

I will also be moving this summer. Hopefully around the beginning of July, but possibly for August 1st. I've always disliked moving, but I'm actually rather looking forward to it this time around... Getting back into civilization will be a godsend!

Out of upvotes but this sounds amazing! 

I used to be really into Kerouac in my high school days and I remember reading (in Dharma Bums, I think?)  about his experiences spending time in one of those fire lookout posts. That was my dream summer for a long time!

This is where I heard about fire lookout jobs, too. I don't do fire lookouts, but that's what I was applying for when I got the job I have now. It's the perfect place for a wannabe academic.

Yup, I have no idea what I'm going to do this summer. I would like to get a job, but finding one for such a short period of time isn't looking promising. 

Right? -- no one hires just for 4-5 months.

I am also wondering what to do during the summer. I would like to move early to get to know the place because I will be moving from overseas, but even then I would have nothing to do there. I also considered summer courses but that's expensive.

I will probably stay in my room studying French? Boring..

The semester here is until the end of June, so I will be teaching and grading until then. Otherwise, the biggest project for me this summer is moving. The bulk of it will be shipping all of my things on a transpacific shipper, but I also need to stop by my parents' to pick up my car and some stuff there and drive myself. Not to mention having to pick a new place to live...preferably one where I won't have to move during my studies. 

Yup, I have no idea what I'm going to do this summer. I would like to get a job, but finding one for such a short period of time isn't looking promising. 

Yeah, it's a pain.  I've avoided service and labor oriented jobs now for the past couple years and as shitty as it sounds, I feel like it would be kind of a blow to my ego to go from being a professional educator to some minimum wage job while I wait to start my frickin' PhD program.  I'm looking for opportunities through universities in the area though, hoping to find something that will pay the bills while also being interesting.

Nevertheless, I'm excited (even if I do end up working a register or something like that) -- I've already started making arrangements for starting a summer reading group with the medievalists at my new university, and am excited to start getting to know people in my program who will be around.  Also to catch up on some much needed novel binging.  

I pay the bills by manning a backcountry ranger station, so I will print out every article in my future field I can get my hands on, fill a box full of the books I think will be important, and -- you know, nature and stuff.

That.  Is.  A.  Dope.  Job.  Though the first image that comes to my mind is M. Night Shyamalan's The Village.  

Right? -- no one hires just for 4-5 months.

I am also wondering what to do during the summer. I would like to move early to get to know the place because I will be moving from overseas, but even then I would have nothing to do there. I also considered summer courses but that's expensive.

I will probably stay in my room studying French? Boring..

Um, hon? French is never boring! :D

I'm not attending any grad programs this fall, but I will be getting a Professional Writing certificate beginning this fall, so I'll be prepping for that. (And taking the GRE...and tutoring...and getting ready for application season next year... :unsure: )

Edited by rococo_realism86

I'll be leaving my job in a couple of months and then spend as many weeks as possible in India studying Hindi... Then obviously there's the logistics of moving across the Atlantic which involves going via my home country to leave some boxes at my parents' and probably pack some new ones... I could do without that :S

Edited by Katla