Fulbright 2016 - 2017

MastersHoping

My question is: did you have a poor interview because of nerves or did you have a poor interview because they felt your application was weak? If it was weak, still apply, but do your best to fix what they found to be problems. If you apply at large it will look weird, as you would still list your current school somewhere in your application and Fulbright will know that they have a FPA. Additionally, are they still endorsing you or not endorsing you? If they are not endorsing you, apply at large. Even if you change nothing, apply at large.

Thank you for the response. Nerves definitely played a role, and a lot of points I could have said to make my case and win the committee over I wasn't able to articulate. I was so nervous that when one of the interviewees spoke to me in German I couldn't say anything. So it was a combination of both. It didn't help that I don't have a faculty from my new school involved with the project, it's primarily my professor from undergrad. The person I spoke with said the committee doesn't recommend I apply this year; however, if I choose to apply I can still apply through the school. So yes, I think they will still endorse me. I made a lot of changes that were suggested. I don't feel confident about applying anymore, but I will still apply! Thank you!

Edited by Jigna11

Good luck! Yes, someone from the fellowship committee spoke with me directly this Friday. Thank you, I will apply. I'm already feeling so discouraged about getting it though. 

Hope we both get it! :lol:

Hi All,

I am hoping for some advice. My grad school's Fulbright campus committee is not giving me a strong  evaluation. I thought my application was strong, but they didn't think it was competitive and the interview didn't go as well as I hoped. I have worked really hard on the application. I am a new student at my current school and my affiliation letter and recommendations was all with the help of my undergraduate school. However, as I am a new grad student I thought I have to apply through school I am enrolled in and cannot apply at large? How much will this evaluation hurt my application? Should I wait until next year to apply?

ps. I'm applying for the Fulbright to Austria. Research/Study

I would apply at large and keep your university out of it. Since you are applying to Austria, you can also look at the USTA. not the Fulbright resume additional, but pretty equal and it's in Austria

I would apply at large and keep your university out of it. Since you are applying to Austria, you can also look at the USTA. not the Fulbright resume additional, but pretty equal and it's in Austria

Well, this person is applying for a research grant, not an ETA. Isn't the USTA only for teaching?

It appears as an enrolled university student, you do have to apply through your institution (from the US Fulbright site: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/about/eligibility), so you might reconsider applying at large:

"Types of Applicants

You will apply either through a U.S. institution or At-Large. If you are currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a U.S. college or university, you are required to apply through that institution, even if you are not currently resident there. If you are not currently enrolled, you may apply through your alma mater, provided that the institution is willing and able to accommodate alumni applications.

All other candidates will apply as At-Large applicants from their states of permanent residence, even if they are currently overseas."

Good luck!

Hello everyone! National deadline is coming for us with a vengeance, haha!
All the best to you all and look forward to interacting with everyone as we wait! Whew!

斗争远远没有结束。= "The struggle is far from over". LOL:blink:

Hi Everyone,

This is a question about university applicants editing their supplemental materials between the campus deadline and final deadline.

I'm a grad student who just submitted my Fulbright US Student grant. I'm an artist who is applying through their university program, so for the on campus deadline I submitted to both Embark (application) and Decision Desk (images). Anyway, I had my interview, and was able to apply the panelists' feedback to Embark, but I'm still locked out of Decision Desk to edit my images. I've followed up with my university, but for now, I'm wondering, has anyone else experienced a similar situation? If so, do you have any tips on how to log back into Decision Desk?

Thanks!

This happened to me last year ! I had to contact Decision Desk and they helped me figure it out. I hope you were able to solve your issue before the final deadline !! 

Hi All,

I am hoping for some advice. My grad school's Fulbright campus committee is not giving me a strong  evaluation. I thought my application was strong, but they didn't think it was competitive and the interview didn't go as well as I hoped. I have worked really hard on the application. I am a new student at my current school and my affiliation letter and recommendations was all with the help of my undergraduate school. However, as I am a new grad student I thought I have to apply through school I am enrolled in and cannot apply at large? How much will this evaluation hurt my application? Should I wait until next year to apply?

ps. I'm applying for the Fulbright to Austria. Research/Study

Ugh. I also had a horrible campus committee review. I had an evaluator ask me questions that had nothing to do with my proposal. I seriously had to question if he had even read my proposal at all. Did you decided to submit At Large ? Good luck ! 

Hi everyone! I applied to Fulbright 2016-2017 for an ETA in Indonesia. I think that my essays were really strong and some of the best writing I've ever done-however I JUST FOUND A TYPO!!!! I went back to reread my essays on the Fulbright website (since you can access your app at any time) and I found a typo :( I'm not sure how it was missed because I had several people read my statement of purpose and I myself obsessively checked it! Here's what it was:

"my site mates I successfully ordered"

and of course the "and" is missing...should be "my site mates and I successfully ordered" 

I am definitely freaking out right now...will this disqualify me automatically? how bad does it look? 

I was a finalist and literally was missing half a sentence in my SoGP. IDK how I missed it either, but I had a fragment that could, perhaps, have been mistaken for something "artistic" in my writing (like I made it a fragment to emphasize something). They will not throw out your application for a typo.  

I was a finalist and literally was missing half a sentence in my SoGP. IDK how I missed it either, but I had a fragment that could, perhaps, have been mistaken for something "artistic" in my writing (like I made it a fragment to emphasize something). They will not throw out your application for a typo.  

Thank you so much! This definitely calmed my nerves. 

Hi guys, Round two applicant for the Turkey ETA program here. I was wondering if anyone had set up the new spreadsheet on googledocs yet? I have clicked on the old link and it keeps bringing up a weird page. Thoughts? 

Well, this person is applying for a research grant, not an ETA. Isn't the USTA only for teaching?

Yes, it is only for teaching. My mistake on noting that. If research falls through, one can do this and at least get out there. Who knows what the networking capabilities are. 

Edited by Bluefit
addition

Hi everyone! I applied to Fulbright 2016-2017 for an ETA in Indonesia. I think that my essays were really strong and some of the best writing I've ever done-however I JUST FOUND A TYPO!!!! I went back to reread my essays on the Fulbright website (since you can access your app at any time) and I found a typo :( I'm not sure how it was missed because I had several people read my statement of purpose and I myself obsessively checked it! Here's what it was:

"my site mates I successfully ordered"

and of course the "and" is missing...should be "my site mates and I successfully ordered" 

I am definitely freaking out right now...will this disqualify me automatically? how bad does it look? 

I'm sure if the rest of the essay is compelling and interesting they won't toss it out for one typo - at least I hope not! We're all human, and I can't imagine they wouldn't be a little forgiving with this kind of thing. Your hard work will still show through!

Also, Indonesia!! I am in Indonesia right now, and wanted to wish you an extra dose of luck. This is an amazing country!

Hi all! I submitted my application for an ETA to the Slovak Republic through my school. I've been lurking here for a while and only now decided to post. Best of luck to everyone and I hope we all keep busy so it's not the only thing on our minds!

Long-time lurker of thread here as well! I applied for a UK study grant. I'm severely under-qualified so my expectations aren't too high, but it would definitely be cool! Good luck to everyone!

Hi guys need some advice,

I had my internal interview with the Fulbright committee at my university. I used a lot of their feedback to revise my statements, however, I didn't fully agree with all of their input, and for some of the other input that I did agree with, I couldn't figure out a way to change it effectively. 

Basically, I didn't use all of the committee's advice when I edited and resubmitted my essay for the first time.

My question is, is this going to count against me? Will my university give me a lower rating or poorer endorsement than it would have otherwise? I'd hate to lose out on the Fulbright on my second attempt applying because I didn't take all of the committee's advice - although of course I did take a lot of it or at least a substantial amount. The committee also said I was in good shape for the Fulbright (based on my statements and interview) and the changes were for the most part minor. HELP :)

If you were receptive to feedback during the interview, it should be fine, especially if they were minor issues. I doubt they re-read all documents after you submit them. The eval is usually based on the interview.

Hi guys need some advice,

I had my internal interview with the Fulbright committee at my university. I used a lot of their feedback to revise my statements, however, I didn't fully agree with all of their input, and for some of the other input that I did agree with, I couldn't figure out a way to change it effectively. 

Basically, I didn't use all of the committee's advice when I edited and resubmitted my essay for the first time.

My question is, is this going to count against me? Will my university give me a lower rating or poorer endorsement than it would have otherwise? I'd hate to lose out on the Fulbright on my second attempt applying because I didn't take all of the committee's advice - although of course I did take a lot of it or at least a substantial amount. The committee also said I was in good shape for the Fulbright (based on my statements and interview) and the changes were for the most part minor. HELP :)

I faced a very similar situation on my application. My interview committee gave me some good advice, but there were also some things that they asked me to add that, quite frankly, I didn't believe belonged in a Fulbright application. (They also mentioned adding some things that were clearly already in my essays, as well as suggesting I talk about my Russian language skills. I don't speak Russian and am applying for Germany, so I'm not sure what that was about...). Anyway, while the committees know their stuff and aim to be helpful, I think it is good to remember that you know best how you want to express yourself in your application. Just as your opinions may differ from the committee members', the people in Washington and your future host country will have opinions of their own. There is no formula to this, and we are our own best advocates. I think the fact that you can weigh feedback and decide what you think fits best in your application speaks highly of your sense of self. That will show through, and I don't think you should have any remorse or worries about not accepting all the feedback. I think the committees rarely read essays again, and even if they do, I doubt they will be checking off that you took each of their suggestions. 

Hello Everyone! 

Current UK Fulbrighter here. What a great resource this forum is! I just wanted to stop by and wish you all the best as you wait. If, after the recommended/not recommended phase, any of you wants to talk to me about the next phase of the process, please feel free to drop me a line. Once again, best of luck! 

Hello Everyone! 

Current UK Fulbrighter here. What a great resource this forum is! I just wanted to stop by and wish you all the best as you wait. If, after the recommended/not recommended phase, any of you wants to talk to me about the next phase of the process, please feel free to drop me a line. Once again, best of luck! 

Hi! What would you say your strongest part of the application was? I was a UK finalist but lost out and want to think of ways to improve my application (I've no idea what they base final decisions on).

Does anybody know what percentage of applications make it out of the United States? The Fulbright statistics sheet shows the total applications and grants available, but I'm curious as to how many will make it past January / whether the United States or your host country weeds out most people. I would be heartbroken if I didn't make it past January after putting in all of this work :| 

Does anybody know what percentage of applications make it out of the United States? The Fulbright statistics sheet shows the total applications and grants available, but I'm curious as to how many will make it past January / whether the United States or your host country weeds out most people. I would be heartbroken if I didn't make it past January after putting in all of this work :| 

1.5-2 people per grant available. So if a country had 100 applicants for 4 grants, they usually weed it down to 8 people.