Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

13 minutes ago, Chiqui74 said:

Yup, they are.  Prospective Student Weekend is next week.  I suppose any admissions from here on will be off the waitlist.  Word on the grapevine is that some of the joint programs have not finalized their decisions though.

I found out i got rejected today, so it's over for me anyway. Congrats to anyone who was accepted. 

1 hour ago, meo03 said:

Ah, well, I'm not sure if you would hear back before they send out acceptances. And you're right; Columbia seems to be very consistent with sending out acceptances in the second week of February. Eek.

Good luck! What is your focus?

Good luck to you too! I'm doing legal history. What's your focus? 

Edited by alain

On 2/3/2016 at 0:37 AM, Josh J. said:

Anyone want to claim the University of Washington admits?

Hi! I'm one of the two UW admits. It came as a surprise--the DGS called early afternoon on Feb. 1, but I missed it, then she sent an email saying that she had "some questions about [my] application," and I was thinking--oh great, an interview, I suck at interviews, goodbye UW hopes and dreams and future and everything else. The next day, the only actual question was "you still interested?" Then the offer was made. I'm surprised nobody else has heard back, though.  

17 minutes ago, alain said:

Good luck to you too! I'm doing legal history. What's your focus? 

Franco-American connections in the nineteenth century. 

Another similarity with Chicago and Columbia from years past: they don't send rejections out right away, leaving you to assume that it's coming if you don't get a golden ticket. Can't wait for this to be done. 

40 minutes ago, bibliomancer said:

Hi! I'm one of the two UW admits. It came as a surprise--the DGS called early afternoon on Feb. 1, but I missed it, then she sent an email saying that she had "some questions about [my] application," and I was thinking--oh great, an interview, I suck at interviews, goodbye UW hopes and dreams and future and everything else. The next day, the only actual question was "you still interested?" Then the offer was made. I'm surprised nobody else has heard back, though.  

Yeah, I am surprised as well since there were 6 acceptances recorded last year. But historically, it looks like UW notifies everyone in one or two days....so its very odd.

13 minutes ago, meo03 said:

Can't wait for this to be done. 

I could not agree more! I am awaiting Yale (hopefully this week), Columbia (also this week, hopefully) and George Washington (does anyone know when they notify?)

1 minute ago, RamyaS said:

I could not agree more! I am awaiting Yale (hopefully this week), Columbia (also this week, hopefully) and George Washington (does anyone know when they notify?)

I'm waiting on University of Oregon, University of Tennessee, Vanderbilt's Graduate Department of Religion, and Washington State.....and they are all taking their sweet time....could be this week or next...

@Josh J. Since I applied to Urban Planning programs (my most recent degree is in Urban Design), I am also awaiting to hear from University of Michigan (Urban Planning), Harvard GSD (planning) and MIT DUSP (City Design and Development). Oh yes, and there is Cornell STS. I am not sure when Cornell notifies. :) The wait seems loooooonnnnggg!

1 minute ago, RamyaS said:

@Josh J. Since I applied to Urban Planning programs (my most recent degree is in Urban Design), I am also awaiting to hear from University of Michigan (Urban Planning), Harvard GSD (planning) and MIT DUSP (City Design and Development). Oh yes, and there is Cornell STS. I am not sure when Cornell notifies. :) The wait seems loooooonnnnggg!

Cornell STS is usually early to mid March. I've had people outside of these boards (who didn't get in) confirm that's when they heard from them in years past.

I am. So. Bored. Ergh. I think my undergraduate adviser hinted that OU HoS will finalize decisions by early next week, so I have that to look forward to.

20 minutes ago, RamyaS said:

@alain I wrote to Columbia today, asking about status. Silence so far. Let's hope tomorrow is the day!

I did the same with RPI yesterday. Also silence. Can't say I blame them, but I am curious.

1 hour ago, wluhopeful said:

Does anyone know if Duke is finished with acceptances? I've had complete silence from them, Vanderbilt, Illinois, and Arizona. 

I got a strange email from Illinois around 5pm CT. It's from their Community of Scholars, which seems to be part of their diversity program. It was congratulatory, and invited me to their visiting weekend, making several references to my already having been offered admission. Which they have not. The office manager of graduate studies of the history department is cc'd in the email, so maybe she'll respond. Who knows. Maybe they've already decided and haven't yet sent out results? Maybe it's one of those massive mistakes that they make. Eh. I'm also waiting for Vanderbilt--and yes, total silence. 

Don't know if this has already been mentioned (I only checked the last five pages), but Stanford sent out its list of admits to current students just now. We took 15, and we've been given the green light to contact them, so I assume POIs have been in contact already.

Field breakdown:

Britain - 1
East Asia - 2
History of Science - 1
Jewish History - 1
Latin America - 1
Middle East and Central Asia - 1
Medieval - 1
Modern Europe - 1
Russia/E. Europe - 1
United States - 5

Edited by hazelmoor
added a field breakdown

37 minutes ago, hazelmoor said:

Don't know if this has already been mentioned (I only checked the last five pages), but Stanford sent out its list of admits to current students just now. We took 15, and we've been given the green light to contact them, so I assume POIs have been in contact already.

Field breakdown:

Britain - 1
East Asia - 2
History of Science - 1
Jewish History - 1
Latin America - 1
Medieval - 1
Modern Europe - 1
Russia/E. Europe - 1
United States - 5

So, no early modern europeanists??

Edited by jb1993

36 minutes ago, hazelmoor said:

Field breakdown:

Britain - 1
East Asia - 2
History of Science - 1
Jewish History - 1
Latin America - 1
Medieval - 1
Modern Europe - 1
Russia/E. Europe - 1
United States - 5

Ooooo thanks for the heads up! Seeing 2 in East Asia gives me hope! Do you know which countries? How many applied? 

1 minute ago, jb1993 said:

So, no early modern europeanists??

Nope, not on the list. We took two last year, and they both came. So my guess is that it wasn't EME's turn. (I am not plugged into the nitty-gritty of admit decisions though.)

I have been admitted to Ohio State and University of Kentucky. I am still waiting on Illinois. I was told by my POI that I had an "excellent file," so I am keeping hope alive. I was also unofficially informed by my POI at UNC Chapel Hill a couple of weeks ago that was "at the top of a short wait list," mostly because my POI is looking to retire in the next few years. I also applied to Chicago and Indiana, but I have had virtual radio silence from POIs there, so I have a bad feeling about those. Good luck all!

4 minutes ago, nom said:

Ooooo thanks for the heads up! Seeing 2 in East Asia gives me hope! Do you know which countries? How many applied? 

They didn't include the country breakdown on the East Asia admits this year (they sometimes do). If you're wondering if you're on there, PM me your first name or surname and I can verify.

I don't know how many applied, sorry. I'm not on the admit committee, just get the department emails, lol. (I'm ABD.)