Longwood SLPOnline

Is anyone on here taking pre-reqs through Longwood? I'm starting them this summer. If you're doing this too we should start a Facebook study group or something!

Also, if you took the SLPOnline program at Longwood previously can you tell me anything about how it was?

Thanks! :)

I am in two of their online courses right now! Last semester, I took two through Utah State and in those both instructors would post videos of the lectures and their voice talking through them. Both classes I am in now just post the lecture slides. That's probably the biggest difference I've noticed. It is a little bit harder just having to go through the lecture slides without any voice-over or notes from the professor. However, overall I've enjoyed my classes! The only thing is that in one of my classes the professor is pretty unresponsive (slow getting back to emails) and has not done a really great job explaining assignments and how the course works (in my opinion). The other professor is great though!

I am in two of their online courses right now! Last semester, I took two through Utah State and in those both instructors would post videos of the lectures and their voice talking through them. Both classes I am in now just post the lecture slides. That's probably the biggest difference I've noticed. It is a little bit harder just having to go through the lecture slides without any voice-over or notes from the professor. However, overall I've enjoyed my classes! The only thing is that in one of my classes the professor is pretty unresponsive (slow getting back to emails) and has not done a really great job explaining assignments and how the course works (in my opinion). The other professor is great though!

graceSLP -- which classes are you taking through Longwood?? I'm taking two classes online with them also! graceSLP explained it very well; both my professors put up powerpoint slides, there's no voice over or anything. One of my professors is SUPER organized, and there is no question to how the course is running. He is also extremely quick with getting back to us, and he even put up his cell phone number so we can text him just in case we're having problems with the assignments or the program he had us download for the course. The class is honestly not easy, but I really think the professor is doing a great job of having us learn the information. 

My other professor is... okay. There has been quite a bit of confusion with assignments and due dates, and it can become pretty stressful at times. On the other hand, he is extremely open to constructive criticism (even made a discussion board asking for tips to help him help us), and he is very nice and understanding, so that makes the confusion less sucky. I think it might be his first online class, because I know some of the assignments are actually made for a regular class, but he's making it work the best he can.

Overall, I think both professors are doing a really good job of having us learn the material, and the courseload is not too much or too minimal. :)

Edited by j_rae

Thank you both so much for your replies! What classes are you in right now? I'm starting with 201 and 285 in May.

Can you tell me how the testing process works? I've taken online classes before for undergrad where I had to go somewhere to take the test and I'm just wondering how that works with these classes.

Thanks for all your help!

@j_rae that's so funny!! I'm in 314 and 455! 

At USU, I had to take tests with a proctor that I had to find online (I ended up taking them with a proctor at a local university library). Both my classes at Longwood don't require that. They just do the honor code thing and trust that no one cheats.

I'm taking 285 and 450 now! For both classes I just have timed online quizzes, but there are definitely more assignments than tests.

• 4 years later...
On 4/1/2015 at 10:31 AM, slptobe92 said:

Thank you both so much for your replies! What classes are you in right now? I'm starting with 201 and 285 in May.

Can you tell me how the testing process works? I've taken online classes before for undergrad where I had to go somewhere to take the test and I'm just wondering how that works with these classes.

Thanks for all your help!

On 4/1/2015 at 8:39 PM, j_rae said:

I'm taking 285 and 450 now! For both classes I just have timed online quizzes, but there are definitely more assignments than tests.

On 4/1/2015 at 10:08 PM, ahirsh7 said:

I'm in 201 and 285 now. They're great! As good as my prereqs at Northwestern!

Hi all- 

I'm about to take 285 (Lang Development) and 307 (Phonetics) and I was wondering if any of you had the same textbooks for the course, and if you'd be willing to sell them or let me borrow them? They are Clinical Phonetics (5th edition) by Shriberg, and Language Development: An Introduction (9th ed) by Owens. 

(I know I'm posting 4 years after this initial thread, so who know's if you'll see this, but it's worth a shot!)

I took audiology this semester and was so disappointed with the course.

The professor was hard to reach and would take weeks to respond back to emails. It was difficult when I had questions about the lecture and the professor would not answer. The professor should have been more present and attentive when responding to concerns and emails throughout the semester  

I felt as if I had to teach myself a lot of the work being that we were just given the power-points with no other feedback  Some of the ppts. were very unorganized.

I believe since the class is online, a professor should be more present in the course and should explain material fully and throughly since there is not that face to face interaction. I don't believe that was done so in this course. I have taken multiple online classes and this was by far one of the most challenging because of the way the class was organized.

At the end of the day, you have to do what you have to do, but just be prepared to really give this class ALL of your attention. I am enrolled in a graduate program already but needed to take this class and it was more challenging than my grad classes. Because of how limited it was to get in touch with the professor and how unclear all of the material was, I feel as if I wasn’t as successful as I expected myself to be in the course!

• 1 month later...

I"ve taken 7 classes through longwood, and I've enjoyed them.  You just have to stay on top of everything.  As mentioned, some professors are better than others, but that's the case everywhere.  All of my tests are done through honorlock, so your computer camera films you as you take the test.  Most teachers just post slides, but I've had at least 2 post audio from the class lectures.  Some have weekly chat sessions where they are available to talk bout the class, but honestly I was the only one that ever showed up ( I recommend showing up for any optional chat times, at least a handful of times to show face.  If you need a recommendation letter, it will help show that you actually care).  I also took audiology this past semester so I think I understand how @SLPapplicant2019felt.  Some of the professors teach at Longwood, some of them don't.  I've noticed the ones that are Longwood professors tend to be more attentive than the ones that live elsewhere (such was the case in Audiology)