2016 Canadian SLP Thread

18 hours ago, J Mack said:

Hey Edmontoners!

Do you guys know of any pet friendly places nearish U of A? I have an adorable little dog that I am moving with :) 

Thanks!

Hey!

I have 2 cats and renting pet friendly in Edmonton can be a bit of challenge. Your best bet is usually with a house and roommates. Many apartments are not pet friendly :( I found my current house using kijiji. I would say that is the most popular general purpose webpage for selling/renting etc. If a house says not pet friendly, do be shy about asking the landlord. If you explain you have a well trained small dog and that you will be attending graduate school, they can be accommodating. My landlord listed this house as no pets but liked me enough to overlook my feline friends. 

There are a TON of houses rented by students around the UofA. Key searches to include are McKernan or Belgravia or Garneau or Whyte Ave or LRT... Then google map them for transit. We get a UPass in our tuition, so if you find a place close to the LRT, you are usually pretty good! I would say to start looking at listings in mid-late July. Everything around here rents fast, so if you look any earlier most places will be gone.

Hopefully that helps!!

Oh and Windsor Park is right beside the UofA too!! It's a great neighbourhood.

For people looking for cheap options... Residence is definitely more pricey than sharing a house. I pay about $600 all inclusive and I'm a 15 minute walk from Corbett Hall where Rehab Med is located. But it is definitely more work to arrange finding roommates etc. 

Residence will be about as cheap as renting apartments in and around the UofA.

16 hours ago, OverCaffeinated said:

its midnight on april 1st

Oh really! I knew it was midnight for UWO but thought U of T was later in the morning. Good to know.

1 hour ago, sjvwl said:

Hey!

I have 2 cats and renting pet friendly in Edmonton can be a bit of challenge. Your best bet is usually with a house and roommates. Many apartments are not pet friendly :( I found my current house using kijiji. I would say that is the most popular general purpose webpage for selling/renting etc. If a house says not pet friendly, do be shy about asking the landlord. If you explain you have a well trained small dog and that you will be attending graduate school, they can be accommodating. My landlord listed this house as no pets but liked me enough to overlook my feline friends. 

There are a TON of houses rented by students around the UofA. Key searches to include are McKernan or Belgravia or Garneau or Whyte Ave or LRT... Then google map them for transit. We get a UPass in our tuition, so if you find a place close to the LRT, you are usually pretty good! I would say to start looking at listings in mid-late July. Everything around here rents fast, so if you look any earlier most places will be gone.

Hopefully that helps!!

Fabulous! Thank you so much! I have found a couple houses, like you mentioned, and that seems to be the best prospect. I will keep looking in the areas that you mentioned :)

17 hours ago, eagerlee said:

@treaclemineroad @Speechiequeen I'm a Montrealer and would be happy to answer your questions about life in the city!

I'll be attending McGill in the fall. I've never rented here, but my student friends who do rent pay about $400-550/month for a room (apartment shared with one or two roommates), and that's for a central location. You could have a place to yourself for under $1000/month in many areas. Montreal is definitely one of the most affordable big cities to rent in.

The French situation is not as dramatic as some people say! If you live here it's a great opportunity to improve your French, but you can get by with a very basic level.

If you have specific questions about anything Montreal-related, the different areas, student life, Frenglish culture, etc., feel free to message me.

Thanks for offering advice! My biggest question right now is which neighbourhoods are cheapest for renting, but maybe you don't know that info, since you say you've never rented.

I expect that living day-to-day, I'll be able to get by on the level of French I have. It's just working I'm worried about.

I just committed to McGill, deposit and all, and turned down Dal and Alberta, fingers crossed that my spots go to someone on here who's still waiting. :)

28 minutes ago, OverCaffeinated said:

Yeah I spoke to someone who was on ad com last year. The confirmed midnight with me

And I'm assuming it will be an email then since we haven't gotten a login? 

40 minutes ago, OverCaffeinated said:

Yeah I spoke to someone who was on ad com last year. The confirmed midnight with me

Hey! Did someone from this year's admissions committee confirm it? Just asking cause I know in the past UofT sends emails in the morning. It would be amazing to know an email would come out at midnight :)

23 hours ago, eagerlee said:

@treaclemineroad @Speechiequeen I'm a Montrealer and would be happy to answer your questions about life in the city!

I'll be attending McGill in the fall. I've never rented here, but my student friends who do rent pay about $400-550/month for a room (apartment shared with one or two roommates), and that's for a central location. You could have a place to yourself for under $1000/month in many areas. Montreal is definitely one of the most affordable big cities to rent in.

The French situation is not as dramatic as some people say! If you live here it's a great opportunity to improve your French, but you can get by with a very basic level.

If you have specific questions about anything Montreal-related, the different areas, student life, Frenglish culture, etc., feel free to message me.

Hi - that's great news! It's good to know the rent is so cheap - thanks! I have some questions about how the transit system works and which neighbourhoods are good vs. sketchy - but maybe I'll harass you for answers once the excitement of the next round of acceptances is over. :) 

I was accepted at McGill, too, and I've confirmed. I'm just curious to see how things pan out tonight since I've applied at Western and U of T, too - but if I do happen to get in, I won't be accepting - so there could be a spot open. (If I get accepted - a BIG IF! :))

Good luck to everyone!

Hey guys,

So in western student central, the admissions decision will show up where are status currently says "applied"?

6 minutes ago, Magoo4U said:

Hi - that's great news! It's good to know the rent is so cheap - thanks! I have some questions about how the transit system works and which neighbourhoods are good vs. sketchy - but maybe I'll harass you for answers once the excitement of the next round of acceptances is over. :) 

I was accepted at McGill, too, and I've confirmed. I'm just curious to see how things pan out tonight since I've applied at Western and U of T, too - but if I do happen to get in, I won't be accepting - so there could be a spot open. (If I get accepted - a BIG IF! :))

Good luck to everyone!

I'm in the same position of having accepted McGill's offer, but excited to hear from the Ontario schools anyway.

A lot of McGill/Concordia students rent in Shaughnessy village, NDG, and Saint-Henri! Those are good places to consider in the search. The McGill Ghetto aka "Milton-Parc" is a bit of an undergrad party area but very popular. The Plateau and Westmount have some ok-priced apartments but those are not "cheap" areas. Also the monthly bus/metro pass for students (under 25) is only $50. Yay!

To those who have accepted an offer from McGill, were you able to log into Minerva? It wasn't working for me...

And to those waiting on results, good luck!!:)

16 minutes ago, runnergirlslp said:

That's what happened last year!

Thank you!

So how do you like the program at Western?

I have really been enjoying it so far! Definitely a lot of work, but worth it because you learn SO much! The classes have been very "child heavy" so far, and I am interested in Adult Neuro, so it has been a bit of a challenge. We don't take as many of the adult classes until 2nd year. We are just finishing up our first clinical placements right now which has been very exciting. You start your first placements in January of your first year at Western, so that is a bonus!

11 minutes ago, runnergirlslp said:

I have really been enjoying it so far! Definitely a lot of work, but worth it because you learn SO much! The classes have been very "child heavy" so far, and I am interested in Adult Neuro, so it has been a bit of a challenge. We don't take as many of the adult classes until 2nd year. We are just finishing up our first clinical placements right now which has been very exciting. You start your first placements in January of your first year at Western, so that is a bonus!

That is really cool! I have heard that Western is more paediatric but I guess only being in your first year, you still have so much more to learn. How do you like London? Where did you end up finding accommodations?

1 minute ago, J Mack said:

That is really cool! I have heard that Western is more paediatric but I guess only being in your first year, you still have so much more to learn. How do you like London? Where did you end up finding accommodations?

We had our Dysphagia course this semester which definitely helped mediate all of the paediatric classes! I love London. Having done my undergrad in Sudbury, ON it is definitely a bigger city for me. It's a fantastic place to live, and the campus is beautiful (although we aren't on the main campus very often-we are across the street). I ended up finding an apartment last-minute. Not the location I would have wanted. Definitely would be worth checking out the grad residences since they are right across the street from school!

Accepted at Western - yay! But I'm choosing McGill, so good news if anyone gets waitlisted!

Good luck everyone!

Edited by Magoo4U