2016 Canadian SLP Thread

From past years it looks like Dal sends out all their acceptance emails in one day and then the waitlist emails a week later, so they should be sending out their waitlist emails next Monday the 21st. 

On 3/14/2016 at 4:34 PM, speechies said:

Does everyone here have a honours degree? I am applying without honours (but still same amount of courses as a honours, i did two years in a previous major) because the websites say you dont need one. I applied to teachers college as a backup and got rejected, when I asked them about it they said you dont NEED honours but  those who have it are given preference and that if you dont have one they downgrade you average 25%. 

I think having an honours degree adds to your application. That being said, I have classmates at the U of A who don't have one.

Sorry, submitted that without posting anything! I'm still waiting to hear from UBC as well. I saw that someone on the results page posted today that they got a call from ubc, but apparently they got the call on February 26th. Has anyone gotten a call recently?

I've applied to three schools and this is my first time applying. I'm not feeling terribly confident about my admissions since I haven't gotten any first-wave letters. I was just wondering - to the applicants who were successful after their second or third time - what did you do differently the next time around to apply? I'm just trying to plan ahead to improve on things for my applications next year.

I remember reading a lengthy document online in previous years that was a compilation of information about all of the SLP schools in Canada.I believe it was released by SAC-OAC. I tried looking back in previous forums to find the link, but I was unsuccessful. Anyone know where to find it?

11 minutes ago, Beeee25 said:

I remember reading a lengthy document online in previous years that was a compilation of information about all of the SLP schools in Canada.I believe it was released by SAC-OAC. I tried looking back in previous forums to find the link, but I was unsuccessful. Anyone know where to find it?

Maybe this? It's pretty old now, though, and much of the information has since changed.

https://uwaterloo.ca/centre-for-child-studies/sites/ca.centre-for-child-studies/files/uploads/files/university_survey_2008_speech.pdf

12 minutes ago, paidean said:

Maybe this? It's pretty old now, though, and much of the information has since changed.

https://uwaterloo.ca/centre-for-child-studies/sites/ca.centre-for-child-studies/files/uploads/files/university_survey_2008_speech.pdf

Hey I was looking for that the other day! I didn't realize it was so old... And kind of outdated, it says U of A had 156 applicants, but they had closer to 400 applicants last year.

Also, in case anyone's still waiting, I got a rejection email from McGill today

2 hours ago, PleaseLetMeIn said:

I've applied to three schools and this is my first time applying. I'm not feeling terribly confident about my admissions since I haven't gotten any first-wave letters. I was just wondering - to the applicants who were successful after their second or third time - what did you do differently the next time around to apply? I'm just trying to plan ahead to improve on things for my applications next year.

This is also my first time applying and you are right, it is hard to stay confident at times like these! I am not sure where you applied but as far as I know, only McGill and Dal have sent out their acceptances. UBC, Alberta, Western, and Toronto are still to come so don't lose hope! 

Edited by J Mack

7 minutes ago, J Mack said:

This is also my first time applying and you are right, it is hard to stay confident at times like these! I am not sure where you applied but as far as I know, only McGill and Dal have sent out their acceptances. UBC, Alberta, Western, and Toronto are still to come so don't lose hope! 

I've applied to McGill, Dal, and Western. I got my rejection letter from McGill today, I'm just having such a hard time staying positive. I thought I met and exceeded all the requirements and I'm feeling pretty down about this.

4 hours ago, paidean said:
4 hours ago, Beeee25 said:

I've got the 2010 version of the survey saved, so I've attached it here!

I'd emailed SAC in Jan 2015 because the link that I had bookmarked redirected to a members-only area. They changed the permissions to public after I emailed, but looks like it's reverted again... I'd also asked if there were plans to do any future surveys but they didn't mention. It's a shame, because it's quite useful.

SAC university_survey_ 2010_speech_0.pdf

24 minutes ago, SLPright said:

I'd emailed SAC in Jan 2015 because the link that I had bookmarked redirected to a members-only area. They changed the permissions to public after I emailed, but looks like it's reverted again... I'd also asked if there were plans to do any future surveys but they didn't mention. It's a shame, because it's quite useful.

I can't seem to access the pdf link. I'd love to look at the document. Is anyone else having trouble viewing it?

3 hours ago, PleaseLetMeIn said:

I've applied to McGill, Dal, and Western. I got my rejection letter from McGill today, I'm just having such a hard time staying positive. I thought I met and exceeded all the requirements and I'm feeling pretty down about this.

Don't get down! This is my third time applying, so I know how you are feeling ALL too well. If this is a career you really want, you will get there. It's difficult to stay positive amongst all the craziness of seeing the acceptances and refusals rolling in, especially when you feel as though you deserve those acceptances, but don't give up hope! If the passion is there, everything will come together in time. Take it from a girl applying for the THIRD time in 3 years (the waitlist at McGill this year is the closest I've ever gotten to getting in - that in itself was a HUGE accomplishment for me!). Even if I don't get in this time again, I know that I have made strides in the right direction. Appreciate those little victories and don't get discouraged! You still have Western coming April 1st (and they accept more people than McGill does, so don't get down on yourself!). Stay optimistic! At this point, it is all out of all of our hands anyway, right? I found this quote today and I feel as though it applies quite well to what you (and the rest of us) are feeling whilst nervously waiting to hear from the rest of the schools. Keep your head up!

inspo.jpg

42 minutes ago, SLPright said:

14 minutes ago, Hopeful_SLP said:

I can't seem to access the pdf link. I'd love to look at the document. Is anyone else having trouble viewing it?

Same! It gives me the following error:

Sorry, there is a problem

The page you are trying to access is not available for your account.

Error code: 2C171/1

3 hours ago, PleaseLetMeIn said:

I also got my rejection letter from McGill today and was feeling pretty down about it as well. It's definitely tough when you feel like you have a such a solid application. The competition is really tough! I wouldn't lose hope yet though because I've heard Western tends to take a more holistic look at applications. So what they may be looking for at McGill might not be what they're looking for at Western.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think McGill actually looks at cumulative GPA as well as subGPA when making admission decisions whereas a lot of other schools only look at subGPA. So if you had a lower cumulative GPA that may have played a role. 

13 minutes ago, lilacism said:

I also got my rejection letter from McGill today and was feeling pretty down about it as well. It's definitely tough when you feel like you have a such a solid application. The competition is really tough! I wouldn't lose hope yet though because I've heard Western tends to take a more holistic look at applications. So what they may be looking for at McGill might not be what they're looking for at Western.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think McGill actually looks at cumulative GPA as well as subGPA when making admission decisions whereas a lot of other schools only look at subGPA. So if you had a lower cumulative GPA that may have played a role. 

I have my doubts that that's true, re: McGill looking at cumulative GPA, because my first two years of my undergrad degree were awful and they (thankfully) seem to have ignored those grades completely since they don't fall within... whatever the subGPA parameter is. And I don't mean awful like "oh no, a B+", I mean awful as in, I failed at least one class.

5 hours ago, masumasuda said:

Hey I was looking for that the other day! I didn't realize it was so old... And kind of outdated, it says U of A had 156 applicants, but they had closer to 400 applicants last year.

Also, in case anyone's still waiting, I got a rejection email from McGill today

I emailed U of A in 2014 and they said they had 220 applicants that year and accepted 57 of them. That is a big jump in number of applicants if that is accurate! 

30 minutes ago, lilacism said:

Ya you are right. I asked McGill and they did say that they look at whole GPA. I am also thinking that was my major weak link in my application :( I was hoping they could see past a few bad classes when I was 18 but I guess when you have a ton of amazing applicants who have been killing it from day 1, no bad grade goes unnoticed. Hang in there!! That's really cool about Western though, where did you hear that? 

Edited by J Mack

11 minutes ago, J Mack said:

Ya you are right. I asked McGill and they did say that they look at whole GPA. I am also thinking that was my major weak link in my application :( I was hoping they could see past a few bad classes when I was 18 but I guess when you have a ton of amazing applicants who have been killing it from day 1, no bad grade goes unnoticed. Hang in there!! That's really cool about Western though, where did you hear that? 

Same! I'm glad I'm not the only person in this boat. My first year was less than spectacular so I think that was at least part of what weakened my application. I believe I read about Western in threads from past years on this forum. I'm entirely not sure how accurate a statement it is, but I've seen it mentioned a few times.

29 minutes ago, treaclemineroad said:

I have my doubts that that's true, re: McGill looking at cumulative GPA, because my first two years of my undergrad degree were awful and they (thankfully) seem to have ignored those grades completely since they don't fall within... whatever the subGPA parameter is. And I don't mean awful like "oh no, a B+", I mean awful as in, I failed at least one class.

Hm that's interesting, I could definitely be wrong then!

Hey guys!!! 

Also got a rejection today from McGill :( I was more or less expecting that, but still sucked to have my first response this year be a rejection.

This is my second time applying and I'm feeling many of the things that have been outlined above :( just trying to stay positive even though it's difficult!

I was trying to find an email from last year re: number of applicants to UAlberta... I cant find, but I'm pretty sure the number was more like 276, not 400. Still a jump in numbers, but not as crazy. 

1 hour ago, klfstudent said:

I emailed U of A in 2014 and they said they had 220 applicants that year and accepted 57 of them. That is a big jump in number of applicants if that is accurate! 

Weird. Yah 220 is a lot less than 400, haha. My boyfriend and I went to a mini-SLP convention in October and he says they said they had 300-400 applicants last year, but I'm wondering if they rounded up or something like that.

Edited by masumasuda

2 hours ago, J Mack said:

Huh. Well, I don't really know how to explain why they overlooked the bad grades of my past. It was a different university, on a different major, and I took two years off before I transferred and started fresh, so... I dunno, I really don't. It's a ~mystery. I can only guess at their thought processes. You'd think they'd value improvement.

1 hour ago, treaclemineroad said:

Huh. Well, I don't really know how to explain why they overlooked the bad grades of my past. It was a different university, on a different major, and I took two years off before I transferred and started fresh, so... I dunno, I really don't. It's a ~mystery. I can only guess at their thought processes. You'd think they'd value improvement.

Yeah that's interesting... I didn't know that either. It could have definitely hurt me as well, I had a rough semester when I first began college straight out of high school. I dropped out after that semester :P and have done a diploma and an undergrad since then.. (I'm now 30). But those bad marks definitely hurt my overall GPA.

I just received an email that I have been wait listed at Dalhousie! I am a first time applicant so I am very happy with this response! Hoping to be accepted off of the list!