2016 Canadian SLP Thread

36 minutes ago, hopetobeSLP said:

Congratulations to everyone accepted thus far! 

From someone who put all their eggs in one basket by only applying to Western this year (applications are expensive!), I am wondering if anyone knows if ORPAS has ever released admission status early? This waiting game is literally killing me! 

I feel your pain! This is going to be a hard couple of weeks for those of us who haven't gotten an acceptance yet. Looking back on previous years in the results section, all acceptances to Western were posted April 1st or later. So I am assuming they are pretty dead set on April 1st :( 

Somebody mentioned that the calls from McGill were part of the first round of acceptances. I do hope there's another round coming up! I checked the thread last year, and some got accepted a tad later. *fingers crossed* 

For the mean time, if I could get myself to focus on the real world (so must every one of us who are in limbo right now)-- that would be amazing! I've been spending way too much time ruminating!

Edited by psycoleinguist

I've been wait listed at McGill! This is my third time applying and the first time I've ever made the wait list so I'm super excited! Wait list notifications come via email :)

28 minutes ago, ssymslp said:

I've been wait listed at McGill! This is my third time applying and the first time I've ever made the wait list so I'm super excited! Wait list notifications come via email :)

Congratulations ssymslp! Sorry, the reply got a little wonky there. I also just received the email letting me know I have been waitlisted at McGill! This is really exciting and SUPER encouraging!!! It's a good day :D

25 minutes ago, mogibear said:

Congratulations ssymslp! Sorry, the reply got a little wonky there. I also just received the email letting me know I have been waitlisted at McGill! This is really exciting and SUPER encouraging!!! It's a good day :D

56 minutes ago, ssymslp said:

Congrats you two! :) Did your status also change in UApply?

17 minutes ago, klfstudent said:

Does anyone know if Dalhousie usually does multiple days of emails or was today the only day? 

It's definitely not the only day. I was already notified by phone but I haven't received an email yet.

Does everyone here have a honours degree? I am applying without honours (but still same amount of courses as a honours, i did two years in a previous major) because the websites say you dont need one. I applied to teachers college as a backup and got rejected, when I asked them about it they said you dont NEED honours but  those who have it are given preference and that if you dont have one they downgrade you average 25%. 

2 minutes ago, speechies said:

Does everyone here have a honours degree? I am applying without honours (but still same amount of courses as a honours, i did two years in a previous major) because the websites say you dont need one. I applied to teachers college as a backup and got rejected, when I asked them about it they said you dont NEED honours but  those who have it are given preference and that if you dont have one they downgrade you average 25%. 

Wow I had no idea they did that. I did my undergrad at U of T and honours was the only option in order to graduate. I didn't know it was really an advantage.

1 hour ago, mogibear said:

Wow I had no idea they did that. I did my undergrad at U of T and honours was the only option in order to graduate. I didn't know it was really an advantage.

It was probably an option but no one knows about it because u have to specifically request it 

21 minutes ago, OverCaffeinated said:

It was probably an option but no one knows about it because u have to specifically request it 

Sounds like something they would do lol :)

Ya I am not entirely sure if that applies to SLP programs as well.. but if it does they should definately write it on their website. I recall double checking with Mabel at UofT before I switched out of my honours and she said I didn't have to do a honours but she didn't mention whether it was preferable or not. Some people have gotten in without honours as well. 

7 minutes ago, speechies said:

Ya I am not entirely sure if that applies to SLP programs as well.. but if it does they should definately write it on their website. I recall double checking with Mabel at UofT before I switched out of my honours and she said I didn't have to do a honours but she didn't mention whether it was preferable or not. Some people have gotten in without honours as well. 

I also recall  her mentioning it was moreso GPA rather than whether you did a honours degree or not. I unfortunately do not have the email though because I cleaned out my mailbox! :( But I double checked the 2015 forum where I asked people and all the responses said similar so I am a bit relieved 

15 hours ago, mogibear said:

No, it hasn't changed yet! Still says 'In Review'.

Update: it has now switched to requesting accepting your position on the waitlist! Keeping my fingers crossed

1 hour ago, ssymslp said:

Update: it has now switched to requesting accepting your position on the waitlist! Keeping my fingers crossed

Yep, I got that too! It gave me a heart attack at first because all I read was 'we are unable to admit you' and I thought that meant they changed their mind and rejected me outright :P

17 hours ago, treaclemineroad said:

It's definitely not the only day. I was already notified by phone but I haven't received an email yet.

I got my actual email now. I'm now wondering whether maybe that was the only day for emails and mine was delayed because I didn't tell Dal until yesterday that I was more interested in their SLP program than their audiology program.

1 hour ago, treaclemineroad said:

I got my actual email now. I'm now wondering whether maybe that was the only day for emails and mine was delayed because I didn't tell Dal until yesterday that I was more interested in their SLP program than their audiology program.

From what I understand, emails/calls were only made for those who applied to both Audiology and Speech Therapy at Dalhousie. Am I right, or other people received news even if they applied to only one program?

4 minutes ago, Mirage112 said:

From what I understand, emails/calls were only made for those who applied to both Audiology and Speech Therapy at Dalhousie. Am I right, or other people received news even if they applied to only one program?

I received an email just for the speech pathology program yesterday. It was the only Dal program I applied to.

2 minutes ago, Hopeful_SLP said:

I received an email just for the speech pathology program yesterday. It was the only Dal program I applied to.

Ok. Thanks for your answer.

Hopefully I will be on the waiting list! 

Edited by Mirage112

2 minutes ago, Mirage112 said:

Ok. Thanks for your answer.

Hopefully I will be on the waiting list! 

There are only a couple Dalhousie acceptances listed on the results page so far, so I wonder if maybe Dalhousie is still sending out acceptances. Don't lose hope!