2016 Canadian SLP Thread

I don't really have high hopes for McGill. I think my best chances are UBC and Alberta...

I bet McGill just has a list of acceptances that aren't really ordered in any particular way, so don't give up hope! Haha

Just now, mogibear said:

It almost feels like they completely skipped over Ontario. Do they save us for last? :D haha

I was thinking the same thing, lol. (Also, welcome! Congratulations on emerging from lurkdom. The communal freaking-out is pretty cathartic, it's true.)

31 minutes ago, psycoleinguist said:

Somebody from Winnipeg just got an acceptance from McGill. Maybe the call depends on the location of applications?

That person posted yesterday but just put down March 10 accidentally I think...ah

6 minutes ago, treaclemineroad said:

I was thinking the same thing, lol. (Also, welcome! Congratulations on emerging from lurkdom. The communal freaking-out is pretty cathartic, it's true.)

Thank you! It's good to not freak out alone. This is my first time applying so I really don't know what to expect. I also don't have high hopes for McGill, though. I wonder if they are less likely to accept Ontario students because we have our own schools... but I hope that's not the case.

33 minutes ago, psycoleinguist said:

Somebody from Winnipeg just got an acceptance from McGill. Maybe the call depends on the location of applications?

Oh nevermind, there is another one, your right!

3 minutes ago, J Mack said:

That person posted yesterday but just put down March 10 accidentally I think...ah

They posted twice? There are two acceptance results from Winnipeg. You think they're from the same person?

EDIT: Woops, spent too long typing, nevermind.

Edited by treaclemineroad

1 minute ago, treaclemineroad said:

I just got accepted to Dal! I have my choice of Audiology or SLP, will probably go with SLP, told to contact them by March 18th (that seems really early!)

Congratulations, that's awesome!! That is super early. Is it your first choice?

4 minutes ago, treaclemineroad said:

I just got accepted to Dal! I have my choice of Audiology or SLP, will probably go with SLP, told to contact them by March 18th (that seems really early!)

Congrats! How did they notify you?

They called me. McGill is probably my first choice but it's pretty close between Dal and McGill, I'd be pleased with either of them.

Oh, also, a guy in my class guessed from my reaction what happened, and it turns out he got his acceptance call from McGill yesterday. So that's at least one in Ontario. I don't think it's location-based.

Edited by treaclemineroad

On 1/7/2016 at 1:26 PM, treaclemineroad said:

SubGPA: 3.99
GRE: V165/Q162/AW5.5
Volunteer/Work: ~20 hours volunteering with/job shadowing with SLPs, research assistant position with phonologist
References: 2 academic references, both of which should be quite good; neither of them are thesis supervisors, although one is the phonologist for whom I worked as an RA. 1 professional reference from an SLP I volunteered with, which should be good as long as she gets it done in time (it's the only thing left outstanding on all of my applications).
Schools Applied: Dalhousie, McGill, U of Alberta (also applying to audiology at Dal)
Times Applied Previously: 0

Here you go! I should probably have them in my signature but I feel kinda weird about it.

I have been reading this forum for 2 years (second time applicant) and now happy to share that I got accepted into McGill yesterday! I received a call from a professor around 12pm and all I could say was "No way!!!!"... It would have been nicer if I was bit more professional but I just couldn't do it. I hope everyone would have good news soon!!!   

6 minutes ago, Speech1234 said:

I have been reading this forum for 2 years (second time applicant) and now happy to share that I got accepted into McGill yesterday! I received a call from a professor around 12pm and all I could say was "No way!!!!"... It would have been nicer if I was bit more professional but I just couldn't do it. I hope everyone would have good news soon!!!   

Congratulations! :) If you don't mind me asking, what do you think made the difference the second time around for you?

21 minutes ago, eagerlee said:

Congratulations! :) If you don't mind me asking, what do you think made the difference the second time around for you?

Thank you! I will share my stats just in case it may help others as well :) 

SubGPA: 3.92/4.0 

TOEFL: 116/120 - needed to take it since I am an immigrant

Volunteering: 50 (+25) hours at rehab centre with adults, 2-3 weeks of shadowing/administrative work at child developmental clinic, RA experience at McGill

Personal: 4+ years of teaching experience 

Reference: Two professional references - one from the SLP whom I worked with at the rehab centre and the other from the lab supervisor

The parts marked in red are the difference in my application between this year and the last year. Last year, I had one professional reference from an SLP and one, sort of a lukewarm, academic reference from a professor I barely knew. This year, I asked a different SLP to write me a letter and had a really long chat with her about what I would like to have in the reference letter (!). Also, I was able to have RA experience at McGill and receive a reference letter from the lab supervisor (professor at McGill) in lieu of the academic reference. I think that really made a huge difference. I also spent 3 months writing and reviewing my letters so maybe it helped too.

Edited by Speech1234

12 hours ago, tillersaurus said:

Do we know if Dal spreads their acceptances out over a few days as well? There are only a couple of responses on the results page, but it could be true that not many people are on here.

I'm beginning to think that because I'm the only person on the results board for Dalhousie since February (those are both me), I may have been notified early due to the fact that I've been asked to choose between SLP and Audiology. Granted this is just a theory, but to people wondering about why they haven't heard from Dal yet, I think it's possible that they haven't really started accepting people in earnest yet.

Sending good thoughts to everyone today! Last day of round 1 calls from McGill! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted, you must be so thrilled :) It is such an achievement!!

Update on Dalhousie, clarified some information over the phone: they have started sending out letters with admission offers (?? it is the year twenty-sixteen) and the March 18th deadline was just for me to choose which letter they'd be sending. The actual decision deadline is going to be something like April 7th. This also gave me the impression that phone calls may not be standard.