2016 Canadian SLP Thread

Hey everybody! I have noticed that quite a few people on this forum didn't apply to the programs in Ontario. I haven't been to either program or city but applied to both (plus McGill and Alberta). Can anybody tell me why they didn't apply (location, program, school, financial barriers etc)...I would love to know people's experiences and opinions!

This is going to be a tough couple days knowing that some people got into McGill yesterday! FIngers crossed for everyone!

J

58 minutes ago, J Mack said:

Hey everybody! I have noticed that quite a few people on this forum didn't apply to the programs in Ontario. I haven't been to either program or city but applied to both (plus McGill and Alberta). Can anybody tell me why they didn't apply (location, program, school, financial barriers etc)...I would love to know people's experiences and opinions!

This is going to be a tough couple days knowing that some people got into McGill yesterday! FIngers crossed for everyone!

J

For me personally, it was a combination of previous experience and financial factors. I have already attended Western previously and loathed it (for personal reasons that I don't think carry over much to other people, so I won't get into them -- although I will say I found it to be a very elitist environment) and so that would have meant paying a $300 application fee for one school, which I didn't think it was worth it.

13 hours ago, klfstudent said:

They say they accept 27 students. It's worrying me that there's been so many acceptances today. I'm hoping for another day of calls for us! 

Wow. Only 27! Does anyone know how many students are accepted in Toronto, Western, Dalhousie and Alberta?

18 minutes ago, Hopeful_SLP said:

Wow. Only 27! Does anyone know how many students are accepted in Toronto, Western, Dalhousie and Alberta?

Small hey? I have heard the Toronto and Alberta accepts around 50 and Western accepts around 25! Eek.

Just now, treaclemineroad said:

There's one on the results page. Confirms that they are still making calls today.

That Winnipeg acceptance was posted last night but it said March 10...not sure what that's about.

2 minutes ago, J Mack said:

That Winnipeg acceptance was posted last night but it said March 10...not sure what that's about.

Oh :\ okay. Wish they could include time stamps. The results page is very low on detail.

Maybe they haven't started calling yet today? Agh, I am probably grasping at straws. How long can it really take to call ~27 people?

Heh I'm posting way too much on this thread this week but it's either that or stare at my phone incessantly.

27 minutes ago, Hopeful_SLP said:

These numbers are from 2007, so program sizes may have changed since then (the only one I'm sure of is UBC, which increased to 36 over the past year):

Dalhousie       23
McGill             27
Alberta           44
UBC               36
Toronto          45
Western         30

2 minutes ago, treaclemineroad said:

Oh :\ okay. Wish they could include time stamps. The results page is very low on detail.

Maybe they haven't started calling yet today? Agh, I am probably grasping at straws. How long can it really take to call ~27 people?

Heh I'm posting way too much on this thread this week but it's either that or stare at my phone incessantly.

Haha I hear ya! It looks as though they called in the afternoon yesterday. Maybe because of time zone issues? Who knows! Or maybe they enjoy torturing people lol. I don't understand why they break is up over 3 days either but that's what they did last year :)

11 minutes ago, J Mack said:

No McGill acceptances yet today hey everybody?!

I didn't get the call until later in the day - probably around 3PM in Montreal - so they might be waiting until later in the day on purpose for whatever reason? Or maybe not and I was just one of the last calls for the day.

1 hour ago, treaclemineroad said:

For me personally, it was a combination of previous experience and financial factors. I have already attended Western previously and loathed it (for personal reasons that I don't think carry over much to other people, so I won't get into them -- although I will say I found it to be a very elitist environment) and so that would have meant paying a $300 application fee for one school, which I didn't think it was worth it.

Oh okay! Thanks for that info. Ontario is the most expensive for sure. How did you like London?

1 minute ago, tillersaurus said:

I didn't get the call until later in the day - probably around 3PM in Montreal - so they might be waiting until later in the day on purpose for whatever reason? Or maybe not and I was just one of the last calls for the day.

Oh okay, thank you! You already got accepted and you are still sharing with us on the forum, so kind!!

5 minutes ago, paidean said:

These numbers are from 2007, so program sizes may have changed since then (the only one I'm sure of is UBC, which increased to 36 over the past year):

Dalhousie       23
McGill             27
Alberta           44
UBC               36
Toronto          45
Western         30

These are the numbers I have, some from official websites, some from talking to current students, and some from past forum threads I think.

Dalhousie       24
McGill             27
Alberta           56
UBC               36
Toronto          50
Western         36

8 minutes ago, J Mack said:

Oh okay! Thanks for that info. Ontario is the most expensive for sure. How did you like London?

I actually didn't feel like I was living in London, is the thing. That might have been part of it. But then, I was living on campus both years. All I remember is not being too keen on the transportation system (but it was the first public transportation system I'd ever used, so I was often confused and that probably biased me). Sorry, I can't really speak to what London is really like.

Arguably (or... objectively, really), Vancouver is more expensive than anywhere in Ontario.

Edited by treaclemineroad

3 minutes ago, psycoleinguist said:

Not that I know of!! huhuhu I can't focus with my classes because of this ;(

Hah I feel you on this, not paying attention at all, just staring at my phone like it's going to explode at any second.

3 minutes ago, treaclemineroad said:

Arguably (or... objectively, really), Vancouver is more expensive than anywhere in Ontario.

Isn't cost of living in Toronto comparable to Vancouver?

It's also worth noting that tuition costs are quite different. UBC is ~$5500 per year, and I talked to a current UofT SLP student who estimated that she paid $11,500 in tuition and fees this year. Then again, I think UofT has more funding/scholarships available.

Edited by SLPright

5 minutes ago, SLPright said:

Isn't cost of living in Toronto comparable to Vancouver?

It's also worth noting that tuition costs are quite different. UBC is ~$5500 per year, and I talked to a current UofT SLP student who estimated that she paid $11,500 in tuition and fees this year. Then again, I think UofT has more funding/scholarships available.

Yeah, I hadn't factored in tuition, I was just thinking cost of living. They're probably comparable. I haven't worked out the math.

34 minutes ago, J Mack said:

Somebody from Winnipeg just got an acceptance from McGill. Maybe the call depends on the location of applications?

3 minutes ago, psycoleinguist said:

Somebody from Winnipeg just got an acceptance from McGill. Maybe the call depends on the location of applications?

Has anyone from Ontario received an acceptance yet?

Hi all!

I've been lurking this for far too long so I figured it was time to make an account since these are now tense times and it is SO comforting to read everyone else freaking out :)

I just noticed there was another McGill acceptance posted, so it looks like maybe they are calling again. I really wasn't expecting anything until Friday at the earliest!

15 minutes ago, klfstudent said:

Has anyone from Ontario received an acceptance yet?

It almost feels like they completely skipped over Ontario. Do they save us for last? :D haha