2016 Canadian SLP Thread

10 minutes ago, treaclemineroad said:

Update on Dalhousie, clarified some information over the phone: they have started sending out letters with admission offers (?? it is the year twenty-sixteen) and the March 18th deadline was just for me to choose which letter they'd be sending. The actual decision deadline is going to be something like April 7th. This also gave me the impression that phone calls may not be standard.

Thanks so much for the info! It was great of you to share with all of us! Did it sound like they were sending out letters now, or waiting until the 18th to send them?

2 minutes ago, Hopeful_SLP said:

Thanks so much for the info! It was great of you to share with all of us! Did it sound like they were sending out letters now, or waiting until the 18th to send them?

No problem! I can't remember her exact words but the impression I got from what she said was that they are in the process of sending them out. I'm fairly certain they will not be waiting until the 18th.

I have been 100% about SLP for months because I was sure I had no chance at audiology (I have no audiology volunteer or shadowing experience), and now I'm just questioning everything. How does one decide their career in a week? WAY too much pressure.

24 minutes ago, treaclemineroad said:

they have started sending out letters with admission offers 

lol wut. Hahaha. At least I can keep my hope alive for a little while longer!

Congrats on being admitted to both! I was so sure I wanted SLP over Audi but then I shadowed an Audiologist and it was awesome. The audiologist I shadowed also initially started out in speech, but then decided that she didn't like doing the program planning and that stuff so she changed to Audiology.

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted!

The people accepted at McGill, did the status of your application change on the site? I'm still holding out hope since mine still says In Review. Since the week is going to its end, I dread the wave of rejection letters :unsure:

1 hour ago, Mymyd said:

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted!

The people accepted at McGill, did the status of your application change on the site? I'm still holding out hope since mine still says In Review. Since the week is going to its end, I dread the wave of rejection letters :unsure:

It hasn't changed status, no. If you're looking for some hope -- if they're making calls today, they might not be quite done yet.

UPDATE: Now the status has changed.

Edited by treaclemineroad

Hey guys!! 

Figured I'd jump on the bandwagon here and join this thread.

I also got accepted to McGill yesterday, but my status on u apply hasn't changed yet, so don't give up yet! They called my pretty late yesterday too, so they may be calling for another few hours!

Is anyone else really frustrated with McGill's deadline being March 31? I'm really torn between McGill and U of T (if i get in) and don't know what to do.....

29 minutes ago, klfstudent said:

It doesn't seem like any McGill acceptances were sent out today? What do you think is the latest they'd call?

Nobody on the forum at least :( Darn. I think I am throwing the towel in with McGill (sigh)... It is almost 6 there so I would say the department is closed.

2 hours ago, Speechiequeen said:

Is anyone else really frustrated with McGill's deadline being March 31? I'm really torn between McGill and U of T (if i get in) and don't know what to do.....

I am veeeery frustrated! I got in touch with Toronto just to see if their notifications of decisions were going to be earlier this year. They basically said "tough luck" (very politely, of course). So I paid the deposit for McGill this evening. I figure, I want to be in McGill if I don't get into UofT, and if I *do* get into UofT then the five hundred won't be a huge deal when I consider how much it is going to cost for the degree as a whole, plus rent, plus ideally an international placement. 

Now, that may not have been a smart decision - maybe you want to hold out until later and see what happens, in case acceptances come out early for ORPAS (doubtful) or they extend the deadline for the deposit (doubtful). But I haven't fully figured out which program I would prefer, so maybe I actually do want to go to McGill! Who knows. Are you going to go to the prospective students day?

On 3/10/2016 at 3:13 PM, treaclemineroad said:

I just got accepted to Dal! I have my choice of Audiology or SLP, will probably go with SLP, told to contact them by March 18th (that seems really early!)

Hey there!

I also got that call last week! It's nice to see I wasn't the only one. After I hung up I was wondering if that really happened or if there was a misunderstanding! Thank you for posting this :) 

However, I think I am leaning more audiology:) But I guess I'll see you there regardless!

2 hours ago, JCurl said:

Hey there!

I also got that call last week! It's nice to see I wasn't the only one. After I hung up I was wondering if that really happened or if there was a misunderstanding! Thank you for posting this :) 

However, I think I am leaning more audiology:) But I guess I'll see you there regardless!

That confirms it then, that people with the SLP/Audiology choice got notified early.

Would you mind my asking what factors are making you lean towards audiology? I'm really worried about potentially making a choice one way or the other for the wrong reasons.

6 hours ago, treaclemineroad said:

That confirms it then, that people with the SLP/Audiology choice got notified early.

Would you mind my asking what factors are making you lean towards audiology? I'm really worried about potentially making a choice one way or the other for the wrong reasons.

I know what you mean. Both programs are incredible and I think anyone who is interested in speech/hearing would find pros in both. Since I got the call, I have been going back and forth, but audiology is the program that I initially applied for. I think the diagnostics side of audiology is amazing and I want to look more into balance assessments and rehab. Having said that, there are some amazing aspects of SPL that I don't want to miss out on! 

Regardless of what you choose, there will always be something from the other program that you will wish you were doing, and some that you'll be happy you're not. So go with your gut and be happy with what that program offers. I'm not sure what your wrong reasons may be, but you really can't go wrong with either program!

I hope you post which one you choose! Good Luck!!

So, McGill Round #1 is likely done now, and Dalhousie might have mailed their letters (lol) already... anyone have any clue when Alberta will start contacting people? My original guess was that it might start tomorrow, but I don't know what their deal has been in past years.

How many times has everyone tried here? This is my first time but I spent three years preparing my application.. I am scared if I don't get in I will be too bitter to reapply! Any success stories here?! 

1 hour ago, tillersaurus said:

So, McGill Round #1 is likely done now, and Dalhousie might have mailed their letters (lol) already... anyone have any clue when Alberta will start contacting people? My original guess was that it might start tomorrow, but I don't know what their deal has been in past years.

My gut feeling is that they'll start acceptances this week. :wacko: it seems they've generally started about six weeks after the deadline, but there have also been exceptions to this (where it takes longer... Like 8-10 weeks) but that was before their new online system. 

I'm currently trying to figure out how to block myself from this website :lol:

2 hours ago, tillersaurus said:

What do you mean by Round #1 for McGill? Do you think they'll accept more people or do you think they're done sending out acceptances? 

3 hours ago, tillersaurus said:

I talked to U Alberta Friday eve and they said they will likely not be making calls/sending emails until closer to April/beginning of April :(:( At least we won't be waiting for a call all next week!

57 minutes ago, J Mack said:

I talked to U Alberta Friday eve and they said they will likely not be making calls/sending emails until closer to April/beginning of April :(:( At least we won't be waiting for a call all next week!

Omg seriously!?! That's so brutal :( Thanks for letting us know though, maybe now I can try and put it out of my mind til then...

I got an email from Dalhousie as well! It's a "recommendation for admission" though, and the faculty of grad studies has to sign off on it. They say that's mostly a formality but can take 5-10 business days before they issue an official acceptance letters, so maybe those are the letters they were referring to when they were talking to @treaclemineroad.

15 hours ago, J Mack said:

I was checking my U of A application in Beartracks, and I think their deadline for other requirements (from other applicants, probably) is March 19 -- or perhaps, their deliberation is not until that day. It's so painful to wait until April ;((

Congratulations to everyone accepted thus far! 

From someone who put all their eggs in one basket by only applying to Western this year (applications are expensive!), I am wondering if anyone knows if ORPAS has ever released admission status early? This waiting game is literally killing me!