2016 Canadian SLP Thread

20 hours ago, SLP333 said:

Second years start August 29th and I think you guys will as well :) 

19 hours ago, kelseymg said:

First day of classes is August 29th!

Thanks! Do students typically TA or have a part time job to help fund their tuition?

On 3/24/2016 at 11:40 AM, treaclemineroad said:

Good news, McGill's deadline to accept offers of admission have been extended to April 7th. So, they are no longer forcing a decision before U of Toronto starts sending out offers, which was ridiculous.

I will most likely be going with McGill, which will mean an open spot for the Dal and U of Alberta waitlisters. I haven't done it yet, though.

Thanks for letting us know :)

On 3/28/2016 at 10:33 AM, klfstudent said:

Thanks! Do students typically TA or have a part time job to help fund their tuition?

I wouldn't say it's typical but there are some who are TAing or working a few hours a week. 

But there are others who were working at the beginning of the year and found it to be too much.

I think it really depends on the person.

On 24/03/2016 at 3:56 PM, klfstudent said:

Anyone know when orientation and the first day of classes would be for U of A? In this academic calendar it says September 1st is the first day of classes for all students except those in rehabilitation medicine. http://calendar.ualberta.ca/content.php?catoid=6&navoid=1055#academic-schedule-2016-2017

Hey people planning to attend the UofA,

I am new to GradCafe, so I don't know if this is the appropriate place to ask this...

But I don't personally know anyone who applied to UofA this year. I know a handful of people in their first or second year and one more applying next year... but no one for this year. If there are people out there that want to get to get together before school starts, to grab a drink or whatever, I am totally down. Also, I have lived in Edmonton almost my entire life and did my undergrad at the UofA, so if you are from out of town and want your own personal tour guide/orientation, I am offering that too! I would love to get to know a few classmates before classes start. I find walking into a room full of strangers hella intimidating!

Let me know! 

Is anyone else going absolutely crazy waiting for April 1st? I thought I'd be able to play it cool in all the time leading up to the decisions, but this week has been excruciatingly slow. I really just want to know what I'll be doing in September so I can start planning my life! I'm so distracted at work every day :(

1 hour ago, mogibear said:

Is anyone else going absolutely crazy waiting for April 1st? I thought I'd be able to play it cool in all the time leading up to the decisions, but this week has been excruciatingly slow. I really just want to know what I'll be doing in September so I can start planning my life! I'm so distracted at work every day :(

I am so with you there. I am pretty pessimistic about getting in this year, but I just need that confirmation so I can figure out what I am going to do with my life! 

For those of you who have been accepted to multiple programmes, how did/will you decide which to attend? Obviously there are personal factors that contribute to your decision, but are there are specific things you've heard about the different schools that would swing your decision one way or another? I don't feel like I have a good grasp of the reputations of the individual programmes. 

I am very much interested in research as well as clinical training, so I feel the most drawn to Dal, UWO, and U of A, but beyond what I've read on their websites I'm not sure how I would pick between them (unless there was a substantial difference in potential funding -- not likely!). I know that Dal is three years versus 2.5 at U of A (with thesis), but that difference is fairly negligible to me in the long run.

I guess I'm just interested in hearing about your decisions and rationales for said decisions, and hopeful that I might glean some insight from your experiences. :) 

1 hour ago, slp_throwaway said:

Same thing here! I did my undergrad at the U of A too and live in Edmonton. I would love to meet up with people before. Also, if you need help figuring out your rent situation, let me know- I can point you in the right direction of websites to use, areas to live etc.

I don't suppose anyone can offer similar assistance/resources for Montreal? Honestly I'm slightly intimidated about going to live in Montreal, especially since I consider my French to be intermediate at best (at least for spoken language).

Same thing here! I did my undergrad at the U of A too and live in Edmonton. I would love to meet up with people before. Also, if you need help figuring out your rent situation, let me know- I can point you in the right direction of websites to use, areas to live etc.

Does anyone know anything about the graduate residences there? 

2 hours ago, speechies said:

I am so with you there. I am pretty pessimistic about getting in this year, but I just need that confirmation so I can figure out what I am going to do with my life! 

Same here. I don't want to get my hopes up in case it's bad news! This is my second attempt and I am already starting to find this process very frustrating, but will keep trying if that's what it takes.

1 hour ago, treaclemineroad said:

I don't suppose anyone can offer similar assistance/resources for Montreal? Honestly I'm slightly intimidated about going to live in Montreal, especially since I consider my French to be intermediate at best (at least for spoken language).

I'm also most likely going with McGill! Just waiting to hear from U of T, but I'm definitely leaning towards McGill at this point. I'm also a bit lost when it comes to accommodation and that kind of stuff so if anyone has any advice that would be great! It would definitely be cool to meet up with people before starting. I'm also from Ottawa, so if anyone is from around there we could always get together :) 

They are beautiful and relatively new. Pretty affordable too- bachelor suites (~1000) and 2 bedrooms (900 each). You would be hard pressed I think to find suites that close to campus that are that new for that price. I'm not sure what availability is like though! Check out Windsor park lofts or Garneau towers if you want something that is a similar distance (5 mins).

$900-1100 is pretty typical (in my opinion) for a bachelor/one bedroom in a decent location in Edmonton. Check out http://www.rentingspaces.ca/ if you are willing to live with a roommate. It's a website targeted for students and has lots of really great spaces close to campus.

Thanks for the info! Do you know when the leases in Edmonton usually start? Apparently you don't find out if you get into residence until May or June. 

16 minutes ago, Rachel Faith said:

Does anyone have any idea what time the results will be sent out from U of T on Friday?

I believe around 9:00 AM on Friday. Those who are accepted and wait listed are emailed directly that morning and rejections are sent out by regular mail.

5 minutes ago, SLPka said:

I believe around 9:00 AM on Friday. Those who are accepted and wait listed are emailed directly that morning and rejections are sent out by regular mail.

Thanks:D I'm sure I will be waiting anxiously by my computer all morning!!

Has anyone else received an email reminder today from Western to set up their student identity in order to receive notice of their decision on Friday? I thought I already set mine up, so I'm wondering if I either missed a step or if maybe they sent out a blanket reminder to everyone?

20 minutes ago, Hopeful_SLP said:

Has anyone else received an email reminder today from Western to set up their student identity in order to receive notice of their decision on Friday? I thought I already set mine up, so I'm wondering if I either missed a step or if maybe they sent out a blanket reminder to everyone?

Pretty sure they sent it out to everyone because I got it too (and I already set mine up). 

Edited by klfstudent

1 hour ago, SLPka said:

Do you know if Western will send their emails out at about the same time?

17 hours ago, sjvwl said:

Hey people planning to attend the UofA,

I am new to GradCafe, so I don't know if this is the appropriate place to ask this...

But I don't personally know anyone who applied to UofA this year. I know a handful of people in their first or second year and one more applying next year... but no one for this year. If there are people out there that want to get to get together before school starts, to grab a drink or whatever, I am totally down. Also, I have lived in Edmonton almost my entire life and did my undergrad at the UofA, so if you are from out of town and want your own personal tour guide/orientation, I am offering that too! I would love to get to know a few classmates before classes start. I find walking into a room full of strangers hella intimidating!

Let me know! 

7 hours ago, slp_throwaway said:

Hey Edmontoners!

Do you guys know of any pet friendly places nearish U of A? I have an adorable little dog that I am moving with :) 

Thanks!

@treaclemineroad @Speechiequeen I'm a Montrealer and would be happy to answer your questions about life in the city!

I'll be attending McGill in the fall. I've never rented here, but my student friends who do rent pay about $400-550/month for a room (apartment shared with one or two roommates), and that's for a central location. You could have a place to yourself for under $1000/month in many areas. Montreal is definitely one of the most affordable big cities to rent in.

The French situation is not as dramatic as some people say! If you live here it's a great opportunity to improve your French, but you can get by with a very basic level.

If you have specific questions about anything Montreal-related, the different areas, student life, Frenglish culture, etc., feel free to message me.

10 hours ago, klfstudent said:

Does anyone know anything about the graduate residences there? 

Hey! I live in grad res and I really like it!

They are nice, new buildings and you don't have to worry about paying for utilities separately. A huge selling point for me was the fact that my place is furnished because I don't have any furniture and didn't want to have to buy any. 

The best part about living in grad res is a bunch of my classmates live here as well so it makes it super easy to study together. I've also met other friends in the building through regularly scheduled events (free food, yay). 

I applied for a place as soon as I was accepted into the program and didn't find out that I actually had a place in grad res until July so I would apply ASAP. The first year's lease is 11 months long, end of August to the end of July. Next year it will cost $858 a month to live in a shared two bedroom apartment and $1049 for a studio.

It takes about 12 minutes to walk to Corbett hall. If you're looking at places off campus keep in mind that Edmonton has a great transit system so anywhere near a train station is pretty ideal. 

Kelsey

19 minutes ago, kelseymg said:

Hey! I live in grad res and I really like it!

They are nice, new buildings and you don't have to worry about paying for utilities separately. A huge selling point for me was the fact that my place is furnished because I don't have any furniture and didn't want to have to buy any. 

The best part about living in grad res is a bunch of my classmates live here as well so it makes it super easy to study together. I've also met other friends in the building through regularly scheduled events (free food, yay). 

I applied for a place as soon as I was accepted into the program and didn't find out that I actually had a place in grad res until July so I would apply ASAP. The first year's lease is 11 months long, end of August to the end of July. Next year it will cost $858 a month to live in a shared two bedroom apartment and $1049 for a studio.

It takes about 12 minutes to walk to Corbett hall. If you're looking at places off campus keep in mind that Edmonton has a great transit system so anywhere near a train station is pretty ideal. 

Kelsey

Just to add re:transit in Edmonton.. I live by West Edmonton Mall & this (as an example) is a FANTASTIC location for catching the bus to the U of A. There's even an express bus which takes 15-20 mins (or less). The U of A includes a UPass in your tuition fees, so it may be a good option if you want to save some money on rent as the area around the university can be a bit expensive... But of course, there's more going on there :)