CSUN California State University Northridge program

I am ecstatic to get into a program in California! I didn't think I had a chance since I know it's crazy competitive. Luckily I had CSUN accept me. The thing is I don't know anything about the program!! Anyone have any information on the program and insight to the quality of the faculty, facilities, and placements? How are the semesters structured? Is it 5 semesters? Anything would help right now! Thanks in advance :-)

I am ecstatic to get into a program in California! I didn't think I had a chance since I know it's crazy competitive. Luckily I had CSUN accept me. The thing is I don't know anything about the program!! Anyone have any information on the program and insight to the quality of the faculty, facilities, and placements? How are the semesters structured? Is it 5 semesters? Anything would help right now! Thanks in advance :-)

The SLP that works at my hospital liked the program, and a mom from our preschool who is attending now also seems to like it. She is planning to take three years to graduate, as she is a mom of two boys as am I. The SLP I work with said it took her 2 1/2 years but I'm not sure if she took any winter or summer classes. I have heard that getting classes can be difficult, so even though I am planning to try to finish in two years I suppose I won't be surprised if it takes longer. I really like the professors, but they are pretty tough so far and will not baby anyone. The CD classes are all held in the main clinic building, Monterey Hall, which is convenient as it is a pretty big campus. As far as placements I'm not sure - are they the same as internships? If so I've heard they can be difficult to obtain as they are given out in a lottery fashion (or at least they used to be - not sure if it is the same now). For reference I am finishing up my junior year now and will be applying for the grad program this fall.

The SLP that works at my hospital liked the program, and a mom from our preschool who is attending now also seems to like it. She is planning to take three years to graduate, as she is a mom of two boys as am I. The SLP I work with said it took her 2 1/2 years but I'm not sure if she took any winter or summer classes. I have heard that getting classes can be difficult, so even though I am planning to try to finish in two years I suppose I won't be surprised if it takes longer. I really like the professors, but they are pretty tough so far and will not baby anyone. The CD classes are all held in the main clinic building, Monterey Hall, which is convenient as it is a pretty big campus. As far as placements I'm not sure - are they the same as internships? If so I've heard they can be difficult to obtain as they are given out in a lottery fashion (or at least they used to be - not sure if it is the same now). For reference I am finishing up my junior year now and will be applying for the grad program this fall.

Thank you! Do you know if the 2 people you know are in the residential program or the distance? I got into the residential. And also they are part time students if it's talking 3 years right? Have you (or anyone else) been to an information session?

The SLP I work with was a full-time residential student, and the mom I know is a part-time residential student. I haven't gone to the information sessions yet as they have always conflicted with my schedule, unfortunately. I usually just ask questions of my professors as they come up. The mom I know went to a session but I think she said they didn't answer any questions that she hadn't already researched and found out on her own. Since you have to commit pretty soon, I would make a list of your questions and contact the department today to see if you can get some more concrete answers. The office staff is there but the professors are likely on Spring break as we are, so you may not here back till next week. PM me if you have a few specific questions - I might be able to ask one of my professors on Monday after class.

So it's hard for graduate students to get classes? They're not all guaranteed a spot? Also do you mean it's hard to get placements in externships, as in where you go for clinical experience while still in the grad program? I vaguely remember Dr. Hall saying something about having a limited number of openings in the hospital for externships during the info session. Thanks for all the info!

Thank you! Do you know if the 2 people you know are in the residential program or the distance? I got into the residential. And also they are part time students if it's talking 3 years right? Have you (or anyone else) been to an information session?

I went to an information session. It was mostly about applying, passing the cbest, needing a good GPA, post bacc options. I don't think Dr. Hall mentioned anything about the actual program. At least, there's nothing I can remember that is helping me make my decision.

So it's hard for graduate students to get classes? They're not all guaranteed a spot? Also do you mean it's hard to get placements in externships, as in where you go for clinical experience while still in the grad program? I vaguely remember Dr. Hall saying something about having a limited number of openings in the hospital for externships during the info session. Thanks for all the info!

Yes, I believe internships and externships can be tricky. I keep forgetting to ask if I can secure my own - I will try to remember to ask on Monday. And yes, I have heard that you are not guaranteed classes which is what the undergrad classes are experiencing as well. The SLP I work with said she was glad she graduated when she did as she heard getting classes became more difficult for the classes following hers. That being said, it could also be that students are not taking certain classes together (in order to reduce their workload), which may then adversely impact the next semester of classes, if that makes sense. For example, I took the four "core" CD classes all at the same time, as did a handful of my classmates. This is actually strongly discouraged by much of the department however as many students do not keep their grades up as high as needed given the difficulty of the workload when all 4 are taken concurrently. Those of us who did well in the 4 core seem to have mostly gotten the next set of classes needed. Some of my friends who took only 2 of the 4 were unable to get into even one CD class this semester. So these individuals will be forced to take summer and winter classes if they hope to graduate on time. Hope this helps!

]

Thanks! That did help! For anyone who is interested, I called the other day and was told that they are no longer having much trouble with getting students into classes and placements. Hopefully that's true!

Thanks! That did help! For anyone who is interested, I called the other day and was told that they are no longer having much trouble with getting students into classes and placements. Hopefully that's true!

I would hope so, I think not being able to get classes at the graduate level is kind of ridiculous!  

I'm also trying to get more information on their organization, what the student life is like.  I find their website to be very unhelpful compared to other programs  :mellow:

I would hope so, I think not being able to get classes at the graduate level is kind of ridiculous!

I'm also trying to get more information on their organization, what the student life is like. I find their website to be very unhelpful compared to other programs :mellow:

I went to CSUN for my undergrad if I can answer any questions for you.

Hey! 

I go to CSUN and just got accepted to their Master's program as well!

I don't know much, but one thing I can say with certainty is that the professors are very warm and committed to the students' success. CSUN has one of the best in-house clinics in the area, better than three other CSUs that I visited this year. They have General Clinics, and then specialty options like Voice, Stuttering, Neuro, AAC, Social Skills, Early Intervention, and Audiology. From what I hear from current grad students, the program takes about 2.5 years to complete, and I think that includes taking a class or two in the summer (CSUN doesn't offer CD classes in the winter).

The program is also a bit different from the other CA schools in that the degree earned is an MS as opposed to an MA, so that students are well prepared to do externships in the hospitals. I know a few of people who graduated from CSUN and they all have great jobs in different specialties.

And as an added perk, the campus is beautiful, peaceful, and very friendly. There's a  duck pond right next to our building, and aside for the sweltering summers, the weather is awesome!

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability!

Congrats on getting in!!! Looking forward to meeting you in the Fall!

I also went to CSUN for my undergraduate degree in Communication Disorders from 2011-2013.  To be fair, I think all of the comments are pretty accurate so far from this thread.  I think the professors were nice but busy and were not very approachable.  There were stories of people getting "black-listed" if they were deemed to be too much of a nuisance as far as emailing professors for help, etc.  Some people would not get any classes or not enough classes because of things like this.  It was sad to see friends in the program not get classes they needed just because the program director or other professors deemed someone else more worthy to get a certain class.  A lot of politics in the program is what it comes down to.  This is just the honest truth, not trying to dissuade anyone from going there.  I would have still gone there because of the price and not having to move had I got in to the program.  

After graduating I worked as a SLPA in the area and started hearing not so great things about CSUN's program and the students they produced which you can take with a grain of salt because I am sure that can be said for any program.  

The campus is VERY beautiful.  There are many things to do in the area as well.  Santa Monica, L.A, Malibu, Hollywood, 6 Flags, and many more beaches, cities are within 20 miles of the school.  

The program is a 2 1/2 yr program but a select few can choose to try and complete it in 2 years by going summer semester and taking more credits.  The in house clinics offer an array of specialties like mentioned above.

The cost of living can be pretty high if you want a studio or 1 bedroom apt on your own, but if you have roommates that can easily be offset.  

Hope some of this helps see the good and the bad!    Like I said, I would have gone here had I got in, but to be honest I am glad I did not get in.  For me personally, I found a program that fit my personality.  

I'm finishing up my undergrad at CSUN now and I just got accepted into their masters program. The campus is nice and safe. The location is in a nice neighborhood in the famous San Fernando Valley, which is 30 minutes from the beach, Hollywood, downtown LA, and all that jazz. Most masters programs are geared toward public schools. CSUN's program is a little bit of everything. The clinic has a really diverse population, so that's awesome if you don't know what population you want to work with. I know they have clinics in social interaction (autism), neurology, fluency, and voice disorders. Apparently, Professor Lew is a famous SLP for stutterers, which is pretty awesome if you're interested in that kind of thing.

The only thing I don't like about the program is that the department could be a little scatterbrainned. For example, a lot of the time, the department will really lag on sending out permission numbers for students to add the department classes they need, so during the first and second weeks of school, people are still unsure whether or not they are going to get the classes. I don't know if it will be the same for grad students.

I don't want to multi-quote 5 people so whoever has the info feel free to respond haha.  It sound like the program is leaning towards the medical side from the specialty programs listed.  I'm more interested in school-age children, autism, special needs populations, language and literacy.  Am I correct on that point? 

The dis-organized comment seems like they might not be a great fit for me, my current frustration at my school is similar.   Also the politics seems immature and a waste of time for a student just trying to learn! 

This is super helpful though, it helps me to think it probably isn't a good fit for me personally.  Thanks everyone!