Plan B, C, D....

You're unlikely to make six figures with a MPH unless you go into healthcare administration.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics has an Occupational Outlook Handbook that is good for looking up pay statistics. The median pay for public health is $48.8k and the 90th percentile is $86.8k. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/health-educators.htm#tab-5

• 3 years later...
On 4/15/2015 at 10:07 AM, jmk said:

I have not applied yet, but have thought of Plan B's. 

Such include: 

-Observing SPED/reg ed classrooms and applying to a dual SPED/reg teacher credentialing program

-Taking pre-reqs to apply for a Masters in School Counseling, or Admissions Counseling (for a high school/university)

-Going ABA and eventually taking the exam for that 

-Taking ECE units and working as a preschool teacher

-Taking SLPA courses

-Doing Americorps Literacy program for a year

-Teaching English abroad

-Au pairing for a year in another country 

The above is a mixture of "gap year" fillers and total career path changers. Hope such gives some ideas! (: 

JET Program is an amazing program for teaching English in Japan!! I think the application process starts in October :) I'm here now while I do my prereqs online.

On 4/16/2015 at 12:46 AM, clmogel said:

I'm going to try for an SLPA job or at ASHA headquarters (Rockville, MD). Looking for an employer that has Tution reimbursement. Also, thinking about volunteering at hospital or doing something in outpatient setting since, I want to start as an SLP in the medical field (and I have limited experience here and with adults).

Working as a CNA is an awesome way to get experience working with adults! I worked in a skilled nursing facility for three years and got tons of experience working with rehab patients, geriatric and dementia. Even though it's hard work it's invaluable experience.

@clmogel not sure where you're living atm, but just wanted to say I lived in Rockville for a number of years (enough that I consider myself a Rockvillean at heart) and absolutely loved it! It's perfect. Vibrant, diverse, historic, cultural, safe, public transport as good as you'll find anywhere in the country, wonderful libraries, parts of it are very walkable, lovely parks, theatre, art, restaurants, close enough to DC to have an infinite variety of cultural and educational opportunities, but some pretty good chunks of it are suburban enough to not be too hectic (although unfortunately that's changing as developers are stuffing it full of overpriced high-rises), and (for now) it's still relatively affordable compared to, say, Bethesda. I was so happy there and would move back in a heartbeat if I could! :) I met so many interesting people from all walks of life and all of them were brilliant. 

As far as finding jobs in the DC area, I can't really speak to that because I found my current job through someone-who-knew-someone-who-knew-someone etc etc, but I will say volunteering is a great way to get a foot in the door. I got my first job offer in the area that way.