Working outside

Marst

Do you ever work outside? If so, where do you go and how do you make it work?

It probably depends on your discipline where it is at all possible :P, but I like to work outside every now and then. My laptop can go for about 4 hours with a bright screen (necessary to see anything at all in the sunlight). Just have to make sure I don't bring any notes that can be blown away by the wind. In any case, with nice weather it is always a trade-off between sitting comfy and having your own space with all your stuff, or being outside and getting some fresh air.

I work outside sometimes because my building has a central courtyard with benches that is protected from wind and has trees growing in it to protect one from direct sunlight if desired. I don't think that I would work on an open lawn though, too many people walking by and too much chance of wind.

I wrote about half of my dissertation outside. There was a park near my house with shaded picnic tables and free wifi that I started sitting at as soon as it got warm enough to spend time outside. There was also a coffeeshop nearby for all my coffee/sandwich needs and to charge my battery or warm me up if it got too cold/windy. Direct sunlight was my savior during that period.

I'm a full-blown office/desk addict (plus Keurig + fridge + microwave), so I find it hard to work outside. I tried to do some reading outside the other day and the wind was blowing my pages around and when I went inside, I was pretty much blind from how bright it was outside.

I really don't get how people work outside for that long.

Like 1Q84, I am also a desk addict (although I don't have a Keurig, and the fridge/microwave is in another room). I also like the climate controlled environment of my office :P

But I do occasionally read outside, if I have a paper copy of what I'm reading. However, this makes it pretty hard to write notes when I don't have a hard surface to work on. I also like to take walks outside to clear my mind. Usually, while thinking about my code on a walk, I come up with several ideas on how to write the next algorithm or how to debug something. So if that counts as working outside, that's probably what I do the most!

I do like having meetings outside though. If I'm meeting with a visitor or other people to discuss some project, I like to go to the patio outside my building or to the campus coffee shop. 

I couldn't help but notice that all you people who don't feel like you miss the sun live in California. Coincidence? I think not. Where I am right now, it's almost May and we just had a bit of snow last week. You might appreciate the sun a bit more if the last time it was actually warm was 7 months ago :P

I couldn't help but notice that all you people who don't feel like you miss the sun live in California. Coincidence? I think not. Where I am right now, it's almost May and we just had a bit of snow last week. You might appreciate the sun a bit more if the last time it was actually warm was 7 months ago :P

Well said. Sometimes I find myself thinking things like "ugh it's sunny AGAIN today :(" but then I usually stop myself from saying this before someone slaps some sense into me :P

Well said. Sometimes I find myself thinking things like "ugh it's sunny AGAIN today :(" but then I usually stop myself from saying this before someone slaps some sense into me :P

I have been verbally chastised by friends from cold parts of the upper midwest for complaining about "cool" days here in California (the few ones where you actually should wear a jacket). It's amazing how quickly you can get into the habit of taking perfect weather for granted. I should know better, I used to live in Germany!

I live across from a massive/awesome park, so my dog and I go on "picnics" whenever possible: I read papers on my tab, while he chews on a toy or smells the air for scents undetectable to anyone but a beagle. Everything else--writing, working on R, grading, etc.-- I need the routine, controlled environment of my house, the library, or a cafe. I find ensuring that my laptop or papers are safe from accidents when I am outside too distracting.

Edited by qeta

I have a great deck with a view of nature and an electrical outlet.  I'm going to have to invest in some patio furniture so I can work outside when my neighbors aren't outside smoking. (I can't stand cigarette smoke. And my neighbors are always outside with a cig in the evenings. It's annoying!)

I prefer working inside because I find the wind very inconvenient and the bright sun kills my eyes - all of which makes me less efficient. The only time I worked outside consistently was studying for the GRE on the beach B)

Sometimes, I like to read on the subway and I'd just stay on til the end of the line - not having anything else around helps me focus; and I do go for walks to just think about my projects and breath, but not very often (usually it's a purposeful walk to the supermarket). Otherwise having access to food, whiteboard, printer and music beats being in the sun. (even though I'm from Canada, so sunshine is a precious commodity).

Edited by random_grad