Is it ok to send an email?

Hani2015

I applied to this university on Dec 15 which was the deadline itself.

I have been waiting so long.

On April 28, I got an email from the head of the department.

He said we have reveiwed your application but we have a question. He was asking about my GPA. I had my master from UK and the grade system there is totally different from that of USA. So he asked me to explain the difference. I replied to his email the same day but I have not got any news from him so far.

Should I email him asking about my application status? or just contact the admission office ? or just wait ?

I'm also worry that my email got into his junk mail

At this stage of the admissions period, absolutely contact through Email.

Remember ettiquete: allow 1 or 2 days for the PI to reply, then forward the previous message with some note like " I'm not sure you received my previous message. such and such". 

I guess... you might be in some sort of waiting list(formal). If you don't have a rejection, you are still in the game.

I contacted the graduate admission office.

When she checked my status she stopped for a seconds like she know something but then she said you will hear in two weeks.

I was not informed of any waiting list.

I have an external funding. Hope this will help get in.

Thanks guys.

I contacted the graduate admission office.

When she checked my status she stopped for a seconds like she know something but then she said you will hear in two weeks.

I was not informed of any waiting list.

I have an external funding. Hope this will help get in.

Thanks guys.

Just keep in mind that if a grad program wants you, a phone call or a couple of emails won't change that fact. Just try not to be a pest.

My conjecture is that they are trying to get you in, but need a couple weeks until "something" is defined.

Keep us informed, I hope you make it! :)

At this stage of the admissions period, absolutely contact through Email.

Remember ettiquete: allow 1 or 2 days for the PI to reply, then forward the previous message with some note like " I'm not sure you received my previous message. such and such". 

I guess... you might be in some sort of waiting list(formal). If you don't have a rejection, you are still in the game.

Just keep in mind that if a grad program wants you, a phone call or a couple of emails won't change that fact. Just try not to be a pest.

My conjecture is that they are trying to get you in, but need a couple weeks until "something" is defined.

Keep us informed, I hope you make it! :)

I sent him today that I want to make sure he got my previous email.

He replied " Yes, we received it and have acted on your case."

How is that ?

I'm so nervous !

Just a note, but a day or two is not enough in my opinion. You can't expect people to respond in 24 hours and send another email so soon. I would advise waiting closer to a week before following up on an unanswered email, unless there is a deadline coming up that requires faster action. Of course you could email if you haven't heard since January or mid-April, but emailing day after day will not come off well. It probably won't change anybody's mind if it happens once but it won't help either.

OP, unfortunately you are getting very vague responses and for your own sanity I would recommend thinking of it as a rejection. If it turns out otherwise, you'll be pleasantly surprised. But in my experience usually if it's a yes and it's decided, they will just tell you.

Just a note, but a day or two is not enough in my opinion. You can't expect people to respond in 24 hours and send another email so soon. I would advise waiting closer to a week before following up on an unanswered email, unless there is a deadline coming up that requires faster action. Of course you could email if you haven't heard since January or mid-April, but emailing day after day will not come off well. It probably won't change anybody's mind if it happens once but it won't help either.

OP, unfortunately you are getting very vague responses and for your own sanity I would recommend thinking of it as a rejection. If it turns out otherwise, you'll be pleasantly surprised. But in my experience usually if it's a yes and it's decided, they will just tell you.

I sent him back after 10 days, not two days.

I agree with you. Usually, If yes they will say it.

That's what made me nervous!

I sent him back after 10 days, not two days.

I said that in response to the quoted text from Mechanician2015.

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this, I don't know why some programs take so long to send out notifications (of any kind). It can be nerve-wracking. I hope you find out soon.

Nothing so far.

I have other offers.

But this university is my top choice.

My employer is asking me to submit my offer. Time is running out !

5 months to review my application! That's too much.

• 3 weeks later...

I can definitely relate. I have been waiting, as well. Just about every week, the director of admissions tells me that the faculty is meeting "this week" to make their decisions and that they'll let me know by the "end of the week". The week goes by and nothing. This then starts over the following week. No idea what they are doing, and it's driving me mad, because I have a lot of decisions of my own I need to make, and I can't make them until I know either way. I wish that these programs would be more forthcoming with the process. Anyway, good luck.