Gift for Boss

Neuronista

Hi everyone. 

I've been working as a research assistant in a lab and was applying for grad school. I got accepted into a PhD program, and to my surprise, the PI of the lab in which I'm working got me a present (it's a book about the field I got accepted into).

What should I give him back? He is relatively young. He likes coffee (but says he's trying to cut back on it).

He is also one of the people who wrote my recommendation letters.

Thanks!

While what MidwesternAloha said is true, I would disagree. If you want to go a little bit further and reciprocate then there's no reason not to. Given that he is young in the field too, there's still great opportunities for you to collaborate possibly. And everyone likes a small token of appreciation! He did help you get into grad school.

You have a lot of options to play with for a gift. Being in neuroscience, a token to do with the brain or neurons come to mind. Maybe a mug with tea packets in it to help him leave the coffee scene?

I second the idea of something from the place you got accepted. My PI spent time going over my list of schools with me, giving general application advice, wrote me a terrific LOR, etc. I wrote him a short letter, thanking him for his help through the process and his guidance in my MS research and got him a coffee mug from the school I will be attending. I think it is a small but thoughtful/appropriate gift.

Hi all and thank you for your suggestions. I like the idea of getting him something from the place or university I'm going to.

I also LOOOOVE these coasters, maybe I'll have to wait till they're back in stock to get a set for myself!

I would say a thank you card would be fine, and to also thank him for the rec letter. But if you were looking for a gift, here are some really cool brain coasters! (or maybe just for yourself  :P )

Edit: darn it they're out of stock. 

Thanks again everyone!

Thanks everyone! There are some very good suggestions on this tread! It made me think about what I'm going to do as well. I'm planning to do mine when I get my new email from my school and apartment address, then email them a small note of thanks and then mail a card and a small gift (something from the school or something that would please them) from my new address (as I wouldn't have gotten here without them).

I got my MS PI a stainless steel travel mug with a leather wrap. One of my friends does embossing, and she embossed the leather for me with the ribbon diagram of the protein he got his current grant for that I worked on with him.

Wow that sounds amazing. I think he would really like something like that. Lucky to have a friend that does embossing. I hope I can find someone online who can do this for me!

• 1 month later...

I would say a thank you card would be fine, and to also thank him for the rec letter. But if you were looking for a gift, here are some really cool brain coasters! (or maybe just for yourself  :P )

Edit: darn it they're out of stock. 

Hi all and thank you for your suggestions. I like the idea of getting him something from the place or university I'm going to.

I also LOOOOVE these coasters, maybe I'll have to wait till they're back in stock to get a set for myself!

Thanks again everyone!

If anyone cares, I just noticed that these coasters are back in stock right now  :P